What does sushi taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Supermarket sushi

The problem i have with packaged sushi is the rice has a different mouth feel. I believe they put something in to hold the rice together to survive shipment.

The problem i have with packaged sushi is the rice has a different mouth feel. I believe they put something in to hold the rice together to survive shipment.

At the Publix that offer sushi here, they make it in the store, everyday.

Usually the cream cheese rolls have salmon or lox and are a play on a bagel, shudder. I like the vege rolls with grated carrots, cucumber, avocado, etc. Shrimp or crab tempura rolls are also a great place to start.

Americanized sushi, like the California Roll, for instance, is a good gateway sushi. Then, try other very common rolls with bits of raw ingredients in them....eventually sampling sashimi and nigiri sushi items.

Well, I don't agree with that. I don't think cream cheese goes well with fish or seafood at all and it sets up false expectations of what sushi is. I think good gateway sushi includes veggie only (cucumber, carrot and avocado), cooked shrimp and barbecued eel. They're familiar flavors that give people the confidence to try more.

I've never once seen a California roll contain cream cheese, but then RF and I live in California. ;) GG, even the link you left doesn't show it with cream cheese. I too think that sounds gross.

I think that if we Americans didn't think of sushi and something strange and gross we would have no problem with it. I'll try everything. If my first experience isn't good, I'll try it again, prepared differently. Some folks are adventurous,. Others are not.

I say bring on the head cheese, bring on the beef tongue and kidneys, bring on the deep fried chicken gizzards. It's all about how well it's made.

I think the only things that I would not eat are human or dog or cat.

Back
Top Bottom