What does sushi taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.digitalsushi.net/ (click on the pics of the sushi. it'll give you a description.)
i had my 1st sushi from a buffet. thank goodness i liked the taste of the nori (the seaweed) because the rest of the sushi was dry and had fake crab in it.
when i went to my 1st sushi bar, the whole experience was oustanding and turned me on to 'real' sushi from then on. from the beautiful presentation to the sweetness of the sushi, to the staff and my first taste of warm sake, it was all very memorable.

Sushi means seasoned rice. Sashimi is the raw fish. I love Sushi made with raw veggies and seaweed, a little cooked Ahi Tuna is good, too.

Sushi means seasoned rice. Sashimi is the raw fish. I love Sushi made with raw veggies and seaweed, a little cooked Ahi Tuna is good, too.

I like it mainly for the cute factor! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

36467-Panda-Sushi.jpg

When I first tasted sushi, let's use the commonly used name here, with raw fish, it was like eh, blah, what is the big deal? But then it grew on me. I love it.

I really like sashimi, especially with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. Not so hot for sushi rolls, usually too much rice for me.

Last edited:
I tried sushi just yesterday, I was really hoping i would like it. I did not, I just know it had a small clump of cream cheese looked so wonderful to fishy a taste for me. A little disappointed wanted to really like it.

I tried sushi just yesterday, I was really hoping i would like it. I did not, I just know it had a small clump of cream cheese looked so wonderful to fishy a taste for me. A little disappointed wanted to really like it.

Hi, and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

That type of sushi is Americanized. Japanese sushi only has raw or cooked fish or shellfish and vegetables. Don't give up on it after just one try :)

Some of my favorites are shrimp, lobster and barbecued eel. There is also a type that only has vegetables. I don't care for the type with the nori (seaweed) on the outside of the roll; I don't know why, but these always taste more fishy to me. Try the ones with the rice on the outside.

Here's a good visual guide to sushi and sashimi: The Different Kinds of Sushi: Types, Names, and Photos

Last edited:
Good quality seafood used for sushi and sashimi should not taste fishy. Where did you have it? As GG says, don't let one bad experience put you off.

That type of sushi is Americanized. Japanese sushi only has raw or cooked fish or shellfish and vegetables. Don't give up on it after just one try :)

Americanized sushi, like the California Roll, for instance, is a good gateway sushi. Then, try other very common rolls with bits of raw ingredients in them....eventually sampling sashimi and nigiri sushi items.

Americanized sushi, like the California Roll, for instance, is a good gateway sushi. Then, try other very common rolls with bits of raw ingredients in them....eventually sampling sashimi and nigiri sushi items.

Well, I don't agree with that. I don't think cream cheese goes well with fish or seafood at all and it sets up false expectations of what sushi is. I think good gateway sushi includes veggie only (cucumber, carrot and avocado), cooked shrimp and barbecued eel. They're familiar flavors that give people the confidence to try more.

For reginalynne - I don't know where you tried it, but if it wasn't a Japanese restaurant with a sushi bar, definitely give it another try. If it was from a buffet or a grocery store, it probably wasn't as fresh as it should be. At a sushi bar, you can watch the chef make it right in front of you, which is part of the experience.

There is good sushi and bad sushi. I love the stuff when it's good. My supermarket sells sushi. I'd have it for lunch every day but it is not good.

Well, I don't agree with that. I don't think cream cheese goes well with fish or seafood at all and it sets up false expectations of what sushi is. I think good gateway sushi includes veggie only (cucumber, carrot and avocado), cooked shrimp and barbecued eel. They're familiar flavors that give people the confidence to try more.
I don't think I've ever had rolls with cream cheese in it. Perhaps it's used as a substitute ingredient at some restaurants..?

Here in Virginia, a California roll usually has cream cheese in it, and the person who bumped this thread said the roll she had contained cream cheese.

Back
Top Bottom