"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to nicole
What does sushi taste like?

Ok, I see that everyone is saying how they like sushi. I have never had it and i think i would be afraid to try it. whats in it and what does it taste like. It sounds scary

Old 03-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Please don't be scared of sushi. You will be potentially missing out on something wonderful.

When most people here in the U.S. think of sushi, they are thinking of raw fish surrounded by rice and seaweed (maki), but there are many different forms it can take. This type does not always even always have raw fish in it. Sometimes it is just rice and vegetables and seaweed. This is usually a good way to be introduced to sushi if you are squeamish.

Nigiri (which is my favorite) is seasoned rice with a piece of (usually) raw fish on top. There often times is a little bit of wasabi shmeared under the fish. Wasabi is very spicy and is related to horseradish.

Sushi actually refers to the rice, not the fish as most people think. The rice is always seasoned with vinegar and sugar and salt. It is a short grain rice so it is pretty sticky and holds its shape well.

Going out for sushi is an experience. The plates are always decorated and arranged beautifully. Each plate looks like a work of art (usually). This really is a case where you eat with your eyes and your mouth. Usually people will pour a little soy sauce into a small dish to dip their sushi into. There is also some wasabi for you to add if you like things a bit spicier. Each plate will also have some shaved ginger to cleanse your palate between different pieces.

The raw fish can be hard for some people to try initially, but once you do you will be hooked. Each fish has a different taste and a different texture. Some are sweet and others are not as sweet. Some have a buttery texture and others have a firmer texture. There really is something for everyone.

When you go for sushi, make sure you go to a decent restaurant. You of course want to make sure you are somewhere that you can get very fresh fish.

Please give sushi a chance! The raw fish thing really is not that scary once you just try it once. It will make you wonder what you were ever nervous about in the first place.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Here is a page that explains a bit more.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to nicole
Thanks GB
Old 03-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

My pleasure! The info I gave really just scratches the surface. Hopefully one day you will experience this wonderful food :)
Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #6
Master Chef

GB, I'm willing to be brave and try sushi, but only if I can have you there with me for expertise and encouragement! :D
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Nothing would make me happier PAB :D
Old 03-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Here is another great sushi page. There is TONS of great info at this one :)
Old 03-02-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I agree 100% with what GB said. I was a bit squeamish about trying it but I was glad that I did. Like GB said, there are plenty of other options if you don't want the raw fish. :D
Old 03-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #10
Head Chef

When we get to a place where we can get find sushi, usually order the sashimi (raw fish) platter because I find it so good.

Am not knocking sushi at all.

Do not think of the raw fish they put in sushi as the not very good looking stuff you find in the supermarket. The fish used in sushi is very fresh and quite firm fleshed.

You might try going to a sushi place when they are not busy and ask them to help you choose a piece or two.

Or, in some places, fancy supermarkets even have sushi bars (but not around here).

Find a place where you can just try a piece or so, have a glass of sake or wine or beer, if you like, and see how you like it.

If you don't like the stuff, heck, it is only a few bucks and it will be an adventure.