What Else to do With Sauerkraut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom taught me sauteed/carmelized saurkraut and keilbasa chunks. The secret ingredient is bacon fat in with the EVOO/ butter mixture. Equal amount to the butter, just enough to flavor it. Oil to cover the skillet. Pat of butter, same amount of bacon fat. Drian the kraut, toss it into pan. Slice the keilbasa diagonally into 2" chunks. Kraut should be hot now, slide in the chunks. Turn heat up to med-hi and fold over ingredients. It's slow at first but keep an eye out. The carmelize/burnt line is a very thin one on this recipe. The chunks will have a nice sizzle and the kraut will be browned and about half of it carmelized. Totally yummy.

Kayelle said:
Personally jalapenos wouldn't work for me, but hey it's your kitchen and I'll never know. ;):LOL:

Made the salad using (admittedly) mild jalapenos, it was delicious!

Kayelle said:
Glad to hear it worked out DL !! Nothing ventured nothing gained. ;)

With a major change like that, now it's your recipe. Love when that happens. :chef:

Hard to stop sneaking a bite each time I pass the fridge. I did cut the sugar to 1/2 cup. DH cannot stop eating it either. I would imagine it would keep well, even frozen. Keeper! Thanks!

Is there a way to publish all these great recipes for kraut? Like in a cookbooklet? This is fascinating!

Back
Top Bottom