What food don't you like.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are few foods available to me in day to day life that I dislike (and that includes my few European and Asian travels, and friends who were from those areas and made foods that many of my U.S. friends wouldn't eat). Bugs, durian, stinky tofu aside, these are things I haven't been pressed to try and wouldn't care to. I'm not one of those people who gags and makes a fuss when I don't like something, as a general rule, I can eat things I don't like. And my few dislikes are:

Corn meal. Corn bread, tamales, sckanze, polenta. I love, and I do mean love, corn, but for some reason am not crazy about corn bread/mush/grits in its many forms. Again, I can eat it, just don't like it.

Milk. Again, I like every form of milk I've ever had, just not a glass of milk. Go figger. Seriously, when I was a child my friends' mothers and mother's friends would give me no end of grief because I simply didn't want to drink milk, and could live forever without breakfast cereal. They'd tell me I'd better drink my milk or I wouldn't grow strong and tall. At 55 I'm 5'9" and show absolutely no signs of bone loss.

There are a few things I don't care for in certain preparations, it is usually a texture thing. But very little that I dislike actively.

I am with you there. I use milk in cooking and even eat cereal, the milk left in the bowl just goes down the drain. I rarely buy milk anymore, I keep powdered around for cooking. I just got tired of throwing away spoiled milk.

Lately I'm having to avoid eating sweet peppers. Even with their skins burnt off. Thankfully, I can eat chillies.

Someone back up the thread said how their friend can't tolerate onion. It is fact some people can't, or eat garlic. Being intolerant to onion must be a severe setback to cooking, but I'm afraid that's life. We do have some food intolerances far worse than things like tripe.

I am with you there. I use milk in cooking and even eat cereal, the milk left in the bowl just goes down the drain.

Patty, do you like yogurt? I've been eating cereal with flavored yogurt for years, and although one of my favorite foods is milk, I really enjoy cereal with yogurt.
Also, for those who only use milk for cooking, I've found half pints of boxed
whole milk that is wonderful to keep on hand for cooking, and tastes like ordinary milk, and nothing like canned milk. Unopened, it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Patty, do you like yogurt? I've been eating cereal with flavored yogurt for years, and although one of my favorite foods is milk, I really enjoy cereal with yogurt.
Also, for those who only use milk for cooking, I've found half pints of boxed
whole milk that is wonderful to keep on hand for cooking, and tastes like ordinary milk, and nothing like canned milk. Unopened, it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Yea, the funny thing is I do like yogurt. I never thought to put in on dry cereal.
I have never seen boxed milk that is not refrigerated. I will have to look for that. Thanks.

- Liver.
- Tofu (even though I eat many meatless meals throughout the week)
- eggs - they must be smothered in cheese, soy sauce, hollandaise, or mayo as in egg salad, and never the least bit runny for me to even consider eating them and they are still not enjoyable
-

I think green bell peppers ruin anything they touch.

I'm not fond of peaches and tangerines but I would eat them in a pinch. It's funny what you will eat after one of those survivalist courses.

I have to agree with Barbara L. about dates. They taste really good, but only if I can get over the fact they look like roaches. YEEEECH.

I've been watching this post and most things I like. Besides boiled peanuts, I realize that the only other thing I really don't like is caviar. Caviar is like eating a spoonful of salt. With high blood pressure, I need to avoid it.

I am pretty adventurous but Durian (I've tried) is near the top of the short list.That maggot cheese is a definate no! no! Stinky Tofu too.I have also had some cheese I would not do again.

Most everything else is worth a try.

Never tried (and don't plan on it :ermm:) that maggot cheese from Sardinia, but I agree with you on all of those, 4meandthem. and I'd add raisins, lutefisk, haggis, chitterlings, cottage cheese, pepperoni sausage. And I'd really rather not eat rutabaga ever again, either.

LPBeier;919798 eggs - they must be smothered in cheese said:
Funny story.

My little sister will NOT eat eggs in any way, shape or form on her plate (cake is a different story). She is a sleepwalker...Dad followed her one night and watched her. She sleepwalked into the kitchen, fried herself a couple eggs, ate them, washed the dishes and went back to bed. Dad had to take pictures to make her believe it. Her SO has noticed the same behavior. And since she hates to wash dishes, we were doubly awed:ROFLMAO:

Funny story.

My little sister will NOT eat eggs in any way, shape or form on her plate (cake is a different story). She is a sleepwalker...Dad followed her one night and watched her. She sleepwalked into the kitchen, fried herself a couple eggs, ate them, washed the dishes and went back to bed. Dad had to take pictures to make her believe it. Her SO has noticed the same behavior. And since she hates to wash dishes, we were doubly awed:ROFLMAO:
Weird! And definitely funny!

:) Barbara

I've learned to like most things thought I didn't like if they are prepared well, e.g. Beets and Brussels Sprouts. I still don't eat organ meats...I probably could if I didn't know what they were, but when someone says Sweetbreads or Tripe, my stomach does a little flip and there is no turning back.

I, like several others have commented, can eat just about anything for the sake of courtesy. There are foods I like/love, foods I'll eat but generally wouldn't choose to eat, foods I'll only eat to be polite, and only One I've tried that I've just given up on. As for preparations of food, that's an entirely different story, but here are a few I'll only eat to be polite, and then, the One:
Brussels Sprouts (may have just never had them cooked properly)
Camembert cheese
Store bought egg yolks (they just don't taste good to me)
Cherry flavored anything
Most "fake" foods/drinks in general, though I do like most fruitsnacks, poptarts, Spam, & the occasional can of Vienna Sausages. I know, I'm weird
Most Goat cheese (The kind we serve at my work is excellent, but often it just tastes like the goat to me.)

The One: Raw/Rare Oysters

I love seafood, caviar, sushi, sashimi, even squid & octopus, but I've given oysters many chances, from basic shooters to fancy preparations. I could appreciate how well they were prepared, but they still made me gag. Never tried them cooked, but wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
Oh, and I didn't like regular cow's milk until I got pregnant with my daughter.

I am pretty adventurous but Durian (I've tried) is near the top of the short list.That maggot cheese is a definate no! no! Stinky Tofu too.I have also had some cheese I would not do again.

Most everything else is worth a try.

I most certainly agree....DURIAN is on the top of my list! ;)

I love Durian! Some people say it smells like rotting meat, but I would be the first in line for a Durian scented car freshener. From the top of my head, the only food I don't really enjoy eating is Jackfruit. Yuck.

Back
Top Bottom