"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have to agree with Barbara L. about dates. They taste really good, but only if I can get over the fact they look like roaches. YEEEECH.

I've been watching this post and most things I like. Besides boiled peanuts, I realize that the only other thing I really don't like is caviar. Caviar is like eating a spoonful of salt. With high blood pressure, I need to avoid it.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Oysters, scallops, eggplant, black olives - the cheap ones they put in salads, tofu.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #53
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I am pretty adventurous but Durian (I've tried) is near the top of the short list.That maggot cheese is a definate no! no! Stinky Tofu too.I have also had some cheese I would not do again.

Most everything else is worth a try.
Never tried (and don't plan on it ) that maggot cheese from Sardinia, but I agree with you on all of those, 4meandthem. and I'd add raisins, lutefisk, haggis, chitterlings, cottage cheese, pepperoni sausage. And I'd really rather not eat rutabaga ever again, either.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

[QUOTE=LPBeier;919798 eggs - they must be smothered in cheese, soy sauce, hollandaise, or mayo as in egg salad, and never the least bit runny for me to even consider eating them and they are still not enjoyable
-[/QUOTE]

Funny story.

My little sister will NOT eat eggs in any way, shape or form on her plate (cake is a different story). She is a sleepwalker...Dad followed her one night and watched her. She sleepwalked into the kitchen, fried herself a couple eggs, ate them, washed the dishes and went back to bed. Dad had to take pictures to make her believe it. Her SO has noticed the same behavior. And since she hates to wash dishes, we were doubly awed
Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #55
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Funny story.

My little sister will NOT eat eggs in any way, shape or form on her plate (cake is a different story). She is a sleepwalker...Dad followed her one night and watched her. She sleepwalked into the kitchen, fried herself a couple eggs, ate them, washed the dishes and went back to bed. Dad had to take pictures to make her believe it. Her SO has noticed the same behavior. And since she hates to wash dishes, we were doubly awed
Weird! And definitely funny!

Barbara
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #56
Master Chef

Weird indeed.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to mparkhill Send a message via Skype™ to mparkhill
I've learned to like most things thought I didn't like if they are prepared well, e.g. Beets and Brussels Sprouts. I still don't eat organ meats...I probably could if I didn't know what they were, but when someone says Sweetbreads or Tripe, my stomach does a little flip and there is no turning back.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #58
Sous Chef

I, like several others have commented, can eat just about anything for the sake of courtesy. There are foods I like/love, foods I'll eat but generally wouldn't choose to eat, foods I'll only eat to be polite, and only One I've tried that I've just given up on. As for preparations of food, that's an entirely different story, but here are a few I'll only eat to be polite, and then, the One:
Brussels Sprouts (may have just never had them cooked properly)
Camembert cheese
Store bought egg yolks (they just don't taste good to me)
Cherry flavored anything
Most "fake" foods/drinks in general, though I do like most fruitsnacks, poptarts, Spam, & the occasional can of Vienna Sausages. I know, I'm weird
Most Goat cheese (The kind we serve at my work is excellent, but often it just tastes like the goat to me.)

The One: Raw/Rare Oysters

I love seafood, caviar, sushi, sashimi, even squid & octopus, but I've given oysters many chances, from basic shooters to fancy preparations. I could appreciate how well they were prepared, but they still made me gag. Never tried them cooked, but wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose?
Oh, and I didn't like regular cow's milk until I got pregnant with my daughter.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I am pretty adventurous but Durian (I've tried) is near the top of the short list.That maggot cheese is a definate no! no! Stinky Tofu too.I have also had some cheese I would not do again.

Most everything else is worth a try.
I most certainly agree....DURIAN is on the top of my list!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #60
Assistant Cook

I love Durian! Some people say it smells like rotting meat, but I would be the first in line for a Durian scented car freshener. From the top of my head, the only food I don't really enjoy eating is Jackfruit. Yuck.