What Food Item Have you Introduced To Your 'Other Half' And Now Can't Live Without?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Many Different Food Items Have You Introduced To Your 'Other Half'?

• None, they're just too picky

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Well, a few here and there

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 10+, I've been pretty successful

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I think we're equal on who found what new food item

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
My husband was NOT an adventurous eater when I first him.
Over the years, he's become much more open to different
food items that are new to him.

Over these 30+ years the one food item that
I now have him hooked on is crackers.
I must have 4 different kinds of crackers
in the house on any given day.

We eat them alone, as a side to a meal or
on a snack plate with other goodies.

Here are a few of our most recent faves:

trader joes cheese sticks.jpg

trader joes gorgonzola crackers.jpg

trader joes multi grain pita bite crackers.jpg

trader joes everything crackers.jpg

pita-bite-crackers-sea-salt.jpg

I gotta tell ya, there's loads more, but I'll stop there.

So, here's the question:

What food item have you introduced to your 'other half'
and now they can't do without?

Glenn had never had Cornish hens until he met me. Now, he asks for them regularly, especially on the rotisserie.

We had them spatchcocked a couple of weeks ago and I darned nearly caught him licking the pan.

Ooh, Cornish Hens!
That's another one I have yet to introduce DH to!
I think on the rotisserie is a fantastic idea!
I've only had them stuffed and roasted in the oven,
hmmm...
this may next Sunday's Supper!! Thanks Katie H !!!!

When SC and I married we had shared dinners with our late spouses for decades. Since I'm the cook, I had to convince him that because his late wife didn't like certain foods, it didn't mean I wouldn't cook them and he just might enjoy them if he gave me a chance. I can't begin to tell how many of my dishes he enjoys that he never thought he would, or never did before.
Thankfully, we both HATE brussel sprouts, so there's that.

Ooh, Cornish Hens!
That's another one I have yet to introduce DH to!
I think on the rotisserie is a fantastic idea!
I've only had them stuffed and roasted in the oven,
hmmm...
this may next Sunday's Supper!! Thanks Katie H !!!!

They are super good with fresh rosemary stuffed under the breast skin, along with a little butter. So flavorful and juicy.

The one that stands out in my mind is smoked salmon. He didn't even want to try it. He already knew he hated cooked salmon. He grew up in British Columbia and had been on too many picnics where people served fresh caught salmon, cooked over an open fire or on a grill. He was only willing to try it when I explained that I also detest cooked salmon and that cold smoked salmon is a whole 'nuther thing. He was pleasantly surprised and enjoys it now.

I also taught him that beets can be delicious. I introduced him to "rødkål", red cabbage cooked the way Danes do it. Now he makes it. I taught him about Danish style rye bread. It's very dark and very dense, slices are about 2 mm thick. And, because of me, he learned about Danish "stinky cheeses". Danish cheeses don't tend to get sharp as they age, they tend to get stinky, in a good way.

My GF came from a previous relationship that was very basic meat and potatoes..she always loved to try different things but says she wasn't encouraged because her ex and two sons didn't want to try anything..
I've introduced her to many new things, and we've also discovered new things together..it's something we try and consciously do whenever we get the chance..
Some things she had never tried were, anchovies, mussels, clams/clam sauce, lobster, home made pasta, risotto, veal scallopini, carbonara, peanut sauce, spaetzel, I could go on, but that is 10 so I'll stop there..

Oddly he would not eat meat loaf. Our son loves meat loaf so he got meat loaf occasionally and Dad got a sandwich. Then one night I gave him my dad's rule "you don't like what's for supper, I'm sorry, supper's over for you". He decided to have a slice and declared "this doesn't taste at all like the Navy's meatloaf". I had to ask him what in the world made him think I would use the US Navy's recipe. From then on we had meatloaf often for dinner and he carried a meatloaf sandwich for lunch.

Jeannie and I got together in our 50's.. We had different tastes..
Jeannie didn't/doesn't cook so, she was at my mercy for dinners.. ;)

The fun part was/is that I could just try new methods/foods and we both win.. :)

Ross

SO was not an adventurous eater when we met. She was a decent home cook but she didn't feel about food they way most members here do.

I have been only partially successful in exposing her to new things. She dislikes lamb on its own, my lasagna, and any kind of beans.

She has been open to many Armenian dishes I learned from my mom and sister and now makes the best paklava in the family (I spent a lot of time interviewing the resident family expert on the subject and got a lot of good tips).

Things she never had before that she loves: sesame noodles, dan dan noodles, Pepper steak, and several other Asian dishes. She like my lamb and okra stew but it was a struggle to get her to try it. She like Cuban picadillo, empanadas and chile but not enchiladas.

I have to give her credit for being open to new things. Often when she sees me making a new dish, she will look into the pan/pot and wrinkle her nose as if to say "yuk!" but always tries it and very often likes it. So I tell her to stay out of the kitchen during meal prep time.

Meanwhile, I'm a huge fan of her chicken pies and carrot cake. Both are top notch. I won't eat her golabkis.

As a result of our having dislikes of each other's favorites, we have nights where she eats a favorite of hers and I'll have a favorite of mine. This has worked out well for us.

Last edited:
ah, i thought you were talking about food I make myself, not store bought. Store bought I think every food available she introduced to me. I come from different country and had no idea what anything is here.

So many things [emoji2] Roasted red peppers, red leaf lettuce, cucumbers in vinegar (not regular dill pickles - quick pickles), asparagus not cooked to death, balsamic vinegar, good olive oil, fresh herbs, real Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and more.

Granted I learned about most of these things just before introducing him to them [emoji38] We were very young when we married in 1984 and I had had a typical 60s-70s suburban upbringing, so the most exotic food we had was my German great-grandmother's sauerkraut. My greats ran a farm, but my great-grandfather was injured in a tractor accident when I was a kid, so they were retired by the time we were coming up.

Over the years, we have both expanded our tastes and culinary interests. Except for certain foods he really dislikes, he's willing to try just about anything I make :wub:

Mrs. T now just asks "What's for dinner?" There are a few things that I know she doesn't particularly like (like sauerkraut and calamari), but otherwise she gets a lot of surprises, and is happy to try new things. I think it's safe to say that she never had a lot of what I make before we were married, and she is pretty happy about it.

Back
Top Bottom