What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Potatoes come in differnt color. Yukon Gold, purple ones. And parsnips are an off white. more toward cream colored. And they both have a distinct taste. Parsnips are very sweet. Cauliflower has nothing to recommend it. No color or taste. The purple caulflower is ornamental only.

Cauliflower has a distinct taste. It's mild, but there for sure. It's a shame you folks who can't taste it are that way. To those of us who can taste it, it's a very good flavor.

Now, here's one *I* can't taste; Green Tea! The stuff is a waste of money for me. It has no taste at all. Not even a hint of taste to me. I don't understand the massive sales of green teas. I've tried many of them and to me, none are worth a second try. I love very, very strong teas like Irish breakfast tea. I want my tea to slap me with flavor!

I think cauliflower has a taste, but it's very mild. I like it more for it's texture though.
And I should probably mention that I eat a lot of items with little or no taste, like rice, pasta, bread. I didn't eat cauliflower as a kid, but I do now. And it seems to keep very well, too.
Please don't get rid of the cauliflower, Andy...

Raw, it has lots of flavor when eaten with a mild ranch dip. Steamed, the flavor is a bit less, but still there. Pickled, it's crunchy and a great snack.

Maybe I do have a genetic lack of tasting cauliflower. Raw eaten with ranch dip tastes like ranch dip. Steamed, no taste. Pickled tastes like pickling spices. It's probably just me. It doesn't taste bad to me, just has hardly any taste at all, no reason for me to eat it. And fortunately, nobody makes me eat it. :)

Now, here's one *I* can't taste; Green Tea! The stuff is a waste of money for me. It has no taste at all. Not even a hint of taste to me. I don't understand the massive sales of green teas.
Green tea is something that I didn't like for a long time, but it's grown on me. I can taste it fine. To me, it tastes a little like the water that spinach has been cooked in, but with an astringent element. I drink it while I'm working since I find that coffee gives me a headache and keeps me from sleeping well at night.

I recently read a very interesting book about different beverages and how they have influenced history. There was an entire section on tea. Without going into too much detail, what I didn't realize previously is that ALL tea was green for thousands of years. It wasn't until Europeans started importing tea a couple hundred years ago that the black teas emerged. Before that, black and dark teas were considered oxidized and inferior to the green varieties.

Cauliflower has a distinct taste. It's mild, but there for sure. It's a shame you folks who can't taste it are that way. To those of us who can taste it, it's a very good flavor.

Now, here's one *I* can't taste; Green Tea! The stuff is a waste of money for me. It has no taste at all. Not even a hint of taste to me. I don't understand the massive sales of green teas. I've tried many of them and to me, none are worth a second try. I love very, very strong teas like Irish breakfast tea. I want my tea to slap me with flavor!

Green tea came about because someone said it was supposed to be an antioxidant for cancer. Your right, no flavor. It doesn't even color the water.
I like my tea black with sugar. Even Chinese tea. I want a strong tea that I can see and taste.

I have a Brown Betty teapot. But trying to find loose tea in these here parts is impossible. I am going to have to start looking on line. I also am going to need a tea cosy. We have Tea Party every Tuesday night. I bring my own Earl Grey tea bags. Everyone else drinks the standard supermarket tea. I am going to have to introduce them to the proper way to make tea. :chef:

Green tea came about because someone said it was supposed to be an antioxidant for cancer. Your right, no flavor. It doesn't even color the water.
I like my tea black with sugar. Even Chinese tea. I want a strong tea that I can see and taste.

I have a Brown Betty teapot. But trying to find loose tea in these here parts is impossible. I am going to have to start looking on line. I also am going to need a tea cosy. We have Tea Party every Tuesday night. I bring my own Earl Grey tea bags. Everyone else drinks the standard supermarket tea. I am going to have to introduce them to the proper way to make tea. :chef:

I love Earl Grey tea. Double strength! I like my tea as stong as it can get!

Quit hating on the cauliflower! I love the stuff! Raw, cooked... whatever. :yum: The only way I didn't care for it was roasted. To me it just tastes like cauliflower that's burnt around the edges.

Same here.

I think those people who can't taste it are genetically programmed not to taste it. It's yummy. Like all the brassicas, it can get some unpleasant odours if cooked too long, but it isn't nearly as bad as overcooked cabbage.

Lots of people, including me, don't like cilantro. How many of you like coriander seeds as a herb? I love them! :LOL:

I'm going to have try the roots.

I've never tasted soapy cilantro, nor have I ever heard anybody say they taste soapy except on the Internet. I like cilantro enough that I sometimes go crazy adding it to tacos, guacamole, particularly when cooking for only myself. (I'm less likely to add huge amounts of cilantro to Thai dishes, don't know why. It's the Mexican stuff that gets me out of control!)

Yet I have no doubt some people taste cilantro as soapy. The Internet says so. Those people are lucky I can't feed them over the Internet! :)

(A good router will definitely keep out that soapy cilantro taste!) ;)

Last edited:
I've got something not yet mentioned as "foods you don't want to see on your plate." Anything that moves! :) I don't want anything that is still alive, particularly if it is still capable of locomotion. :)

Actually I recall eating live clams as a kid camping on the beach near Ventura (north of Los Angeles). We dug clams in the surf, then kept them in buckets of sea water for a few hours, to let them spit out any sand. Then we ate them live! We'd carefully pick up a clam so it wouldn't ... you know ... clam up! ;) And cut the muscle that they used to keep themselves tightly closed, then used the knife to cut all attachments to the shell so the clam is completely separated. Then a squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco sauce, and eat them up! Alive! :yum:

I'm not so sure I'd do that today because this was a long time ago and I'm not so sure the water is pure enough these days that I'd want to eat live clams right of the ocean. At not least anywhere near a large city. Nor would I want to do this with clams that were more than a few hours out of the ocean.

So the question is, would you eat anything on your plate if it was alive? :) And if so, what? :yum:

So the question is, would you eat anything on your plate if it was alive? :) And if so, what? :yum:
The only foods I've eaten alive are oysters. There is a type of sushi that is prized by some sushi lovers; It's fish that has been filleted and cut into bite sized pieces so quickly at the table that it is still moving when you pick up a bite. I've never even seen it and would prefer to eat my sushi after it quits moving. I have prepared it, literally, on the beach, but never eaten it while it was moving. Feeling something move while I'm chewing it isn't something I would enjoy.

I've got something not yet mentioned as "foods you don't want to see on your plate." Anything that moves! :) I don't want anything that is still alive, particularly if it is still capable of locomotion. :)

Actually I recall eating live clams as a kid camping on the beach near Ventura (north of Los Angeles). We dug clams in the surf, then kept them in buckets of sea water for a few hours, to let them spit out any sand. Then we ate them live! We'd carefully pick up a clam so it wouldn't ... you know ... clam up! ;) And cut the muscle that they used to keep themselves tightly closed, then used the knife to cut all attachments to the shell so the clam is completely separated. Then a squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco sauce, and eat them up! Alive! :yum:

I'm not so sure I'd do that today because this was a long time ago and I'm not so sure the water is pure enough these days that I'd want to eat live clams right of the ocean. At not least anywhere near a large city. Nor would I want to do this with clams that were more than a few hours out of the ocean.

When I said anything still squirming in the second post I meant anything still alive, or moving as you say. So yeah, nothing still alive or barely dead for me.

When I said anything still squirming in the second post I meant anything still alive, or moving as you say. So yeah, nothing still alive or barely dead for me.
It has been long enough that I forgot the earlier posts. :)

These days I don't want to eat anything alive, not even the clams from my childhood. It doesn't bother me now that I did that back then but it's not something I relish repeating.

I'm glad my mom and dad were adventuresome foodies (and my mom a good cook and my dad a good at barbecue). I'm sure they are responsible for me being a foodie and enthusiastic amateur chef.

It has been long enough that I forgot the earlier posts. :)

These days I don't want to eat anything alive, not even the clams from my childhood. It doesn't bother me now that I did that back then but it's not something I relish repeating.

I'm glad my mom and dad were adventuresome foodies (and my mom a good cook and my dad a good at barbecue). I'm sure they are responsible for me being a foodie and enthusiastic amateur chef.

i am in agreement with you, essentially, and would decline any food that is still alive. although, i must admit that your description of eating live clams (and my own memories of live oysters on the half shell) give me a twinge of nostalgic pause....:yum::)

I am a New Englander and have always lived within walking distance of the Atlantic Ocean. Many times I have opened a clam and sucked it right down my throat as it was still wiggling. It's the N.E. way. I don't put lemon on it or Tabasco Sauce on them either. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom