What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beats. Just smelling them makes me gag. Not sure why, but I have not liked them ever in my life.

I love Beets. I will often buy about four or five fresh one, cook and peel them, leave in the fridge. When lookiing for a snack, will grab one with the salt shaker and pig out. :chef:

Smoked eel makes me gag. I know people who like it, I did try it once, and it was so not something I wanted to eat ever again. I think I already mentioned lutefisk...

I love eel. Smoked, grilled, sauteed, baked, I don't care how you cook it, I love the flavor of it.

Grilled eel on nigiri (With sauce) is one of my favorite types of sushi.

At the fair in Berlin, Germany, one of the prizes given out was roasted eels. The bigger the prize, the bigger the eel. Yum City!:chef::yum::yum::yum:

I love eel. Smoked, grilled, sauteed, baked, I don't care how you cook it, I love the flavor of it.

Grilled eel on nigiri (With sauce) is one of my favorite types of sushi.

At the fair in Berlin, Germany, one of the prizes given out was roasted eels. The bigger the prize, the bigger the eel. Yum City!:chef::yum::yum::yum:

I would like to try some of the other ways of preparing eel. I have only had it smoked and I really like it. I haven't eaten it in years. I grew eating it at every special family meal. It's very rich. I once made the mistake of taking two large pieces.

The Fishmonger who came to the house every Tuesday when I lived in Northern Germany often had smoked eel. I found it way too fatty for my liking. I was only 17--maybe my palette was under-developed having grown up with my mother's 7-day rotating menu...perhaps I would like it now...

Beets are perhaps my most favorite veggie after eggplant. I love beets raw (baby, grated), pickled, juiced, roasted, baked, boiled....right after beet juice, I love pomegranate juice--except no matter how I juice the seeds, I end up having to wash the walls.

Last edited:
The only eel available in the U.P. is Lamprey eel. I understand that it is a prized delicacy in the U.K. but here, in the Great lakes, it is full of things like mercury, and all of the other nasties that can be found in top predatory fish. They are a parasite that suck the juices from the flesh of large lake trout, salmon, etc.

Somebody once said that the best way to control an invasive species, i.e. Asian Catfish, lamprey eels, rusty crawfish, humboldt squid, etc., is to make the comercially available in restaurants and grocery stores. If they aren't a contaminated critter, like the lamprey, and are darned tasty, like the humboldt squid, the world's most effiecient hunter will take care of the problem.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

i need a recipe for beets and eel.

luv them both.
What kinds of beets can you get? I like white, golden, red, and "red and white." I can give you a recipe for beet-potato-herring salad that is served as part of smorgasbord. And I'm sure there is a borscht recipe floating around on the forum...I also love borscht--hot and cold!

What kinds of beets can you get? I like white, golden, red, and "red and white." I can give you a recipe for beet-potato-herring salad that is served as part of smorgasbord. And I'm sure there is a borscht recipe floating around on the forum...I also love borscht--hot and cold!

If there is mayo in that herring and beet salad, then that is one of the things I don't want to see on my plate. I like beets, I like herring, but I had too many holiday sandwiches in my lunch bag at school that had pink herring salad. :blink:

yes please. please post it for everyone.

i 've grown red and the red and white striped ones. never had white or golden beets, but they sound good.

If there is mayo in that herring and beet salad, then that is one of the things I don't want to see on my plate. I like beets, I like herring, but I had too many holiday sandwiches in my lunch bag at school that had pink herring salad. :blink:
My grandma made it with whipped cream...my aunt makes it with MW. I make it with sour cream...but was thinking I could use Greek Yogurt instead or "pseudo" sour cream made from cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt. I haven't tried that--yet.It is pink...but why couldn't one do an oil-vinegar dressing for it? Have you tried that, TL?

Last edited:
what is so bad about a pink-colored salad? my favorite potato salad comes out pink because of the canned beets i use. to me, pink salad is a sure sign that it's going to taste fabulous!!

I wont even go in the same room as herring. And I consider myself a lover of all fishes. Herring is the only fish I met I didnt like.

My grandma made it with whipped cream...my aunt makes it with MW. I make it with sour cream...but was thinking I could use Greek Yogurt instead or "pseudo" sour cream made from cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt. I haven't tried that--yet.It is pink...but why couldn't one do an oil-vinegar dressing for it? Have you tried that, TL?

I haven't found a source of decent pickled herring here. Mrs. Whyte's (sp?) is sweet. I tried another Canadian brand and it tasted like the herring wasn't very fresh when it was made. The stuff from Ikea is full of weird chemicals. Once in a blue moon I find something Scandinavian or Finnish that is good, but expensive. I'm not going to experiment with making a salad with expensive herring. I'm going to eat that some way I know I will enjoy.

what is so bad about a pink-colored salad? my favorite potato salad comes out pink because of the canned beets i use. to me, pink salad is a sure sign that it's going to taste fabulous!!

Yeah, try explaining a pink fish salad to the other 3rd graders who think you are weird for having whole wheat bread. And my mum didn't just make this on whole wheat. She made it one slice whole wheat and one slice heavy rye bread.

I grew up in the 50s. There was a lot of weird un-food passing for food. I didn't like (and still don't like) pink ice cream. It was called strawberry, but had nothing to do with strawberries. I enjoy ice cream made with actual strawberries.

The Fishmonger who came to the house every Tuesday when I lived in Northern Germany often had smoked eel. I found it way too fatty for my liking. I was only 17--maybe my palette was under-developed having grown up with my mother's 7-day rotating menu...perhaps I would like it now...

Beets are perhaps my most favorite veggie after eggplant. I love beets raw (baby, grated), pickled, juiced, roasted, baked, boiled....right after beet juice, I love pomegranate juice--except no matter how I juice the seeds, I end up having to wash the walls.

Have you ever tried Harvard Beets? They are a sweet/sour concoction. :)

Something I just ate.
I wouldn't want to see that back on my plate either.

I never want to see a fast food burger on my dinner plate. Or any other fast food item....ever.

yes please. please post it for everyone.

i 've grown red and the red and white striped ones. never had white or golden beets, but they sound good.

Beet - Potato Salad (maybe TaxLady can share it's real name--but that's what we call it). My grandmother made this with whipping cream (whipped), my aunt with mayo, I make it with sour cream + some milk to thin it a bit.

1 jar pickled herring, chopped (and drained) (or sardines?)
1-1/2 c cold boiled potatoes, chopped in cubes
1-1/2 c cold boiled beets (or 1-1/2 c pickled beets) cubed
3/4 c grated apple (Granny Smith is my favorite to use)
2 T cider vinegar (or white)
2 T sugar
3/4 c whipping cream (whipped light--not stiff) or mayo or sour cream thinned with some milk
parsley
6 hard boiled eggs, sliced

Combine the first 5 ingredients, add in the liquid and sugar, fold in cream/mayo/sour cream. Pack into a greased bowl. Chill overnight. Unmold on a bed of lettuce, garnish with egg slices and chopped parsley. This is so simple--I'm embarrassed.

The one my mum made didn't have potatoes, or apples, or sugar, or eggs. I'm pretty sure it had onions or maybe it was scallions. It was called "sildesalat" in Danish; it would be "sillsallad" in Swedish. That just means herring salad. If you wanted to specify that it was with beets and potatoes (in Swedish), you would add "med rödbetor och potatis".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom