What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GiddyUpGo said:
My mom used to make this recipe called "cream tuna peas on toast." It looked like someone threw up on a slice of bread.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't want to see any version of peas on my plate. I still don't like them, all these years later.

Mmmmmmm that sounds sooooo good! We always called it **** on a shingle. Creamed ham or tuna, or sometimes creamed peas over mashed potatoes. Yum!!

Mmmmmmm that sounds sooooo good! We always called it **** on a shingle. Creamed ham or tuna, or sometimes creamed peas over mashed potatoes. Yum!!

Blech!! She also used to make this thing called "salmon loaf," which didn't have any actual salmon in it. I think it was made with canned mackerel. All I remember is there were crunchy little bits of bone in it and little squishy bits of fish gut. Yuck!!

Oh and the casseroles, always with the same undercooked pastry on top. Jeez I hope my mom never reads this forum, haha.

lol, giddyup. we won't tell her.

Yes, although I feel no shame. It was a good thing to try once and I'm glad I did. Anyway they're probably expensive now and I haven't seen them on any menus lately.

How different do you think the restaurant ones are from the ordinary species found in US gardens?

i remember seeing a travel show once about places in the french countryside where people would go out after a long rainfall to collect dozens of snails from their walkways and around their yards. then they'd cook them up for dinner.

the pastoral beauty of their homes and gardens were such that it seemed like a natural thing to do, so i wouldn't have any problem eating their little slugs. but i don't think i could do the same thing in my own yard.

I really have no idea. I've wondered that myself.

OMG! :rolleyes: You're defending escargot and you don't even know if they're the same snails you step on to kill them in your garden??? :)

Maybe I'll do that tomorrow... (It's getting late here.)

I agree with the frog legs. I have tried them and to me they tasted like slimy, slightly fishy chicken. Not that great.

I was going to say the same thing but I didn't want to offend any frog lovers here on the forum. I was thinking exactly "slimy, slightly fishy chicken." If I want something that tastes like chicken I'll have chicken, thank you! :)

I've heard that rattlesnake tastes like chicken too. Um, rattlesnake is also something I don't want to see on my plate, live or cooked, although I'd rather have cooked than live if that was the only choice.

I've heard that rattlesnake tastes like chicken too. Um, rattlesnake is also something I don't want to see on my plate, live or cooked, although I'd rather have cooked than live if that was the only choice.

Haha! I would totally eat rattlesnake. I'm game for trying almost anything (I ate kangaroo just last week!) as long as it isn't entrails or bugs. I don't have to like it, though, or eat it twice!

The Top of the Harbor, above the Radisson. The outer floor in the round building makes one rotation per hour, so you pretty much get the whole view of Duluth if you eat there. I never eat there, because the food isn't that great and it's over priced. It's more of a tourist thing I guess. No locals go there. Once I had chicken Kiev, and it was ground and pressed, straight from the freezer like you would get at the grocery store. I wish it was a decent place to eat- I love the concept.

Like the Space Needle in Seattle. Only tourists go there. :chef:

OMG! :rolleyes: You're defending escargot and you don't even know if they're the same snails you step on to kill them in your garden??? :)

Maybe I'll do that tomorrow... (It's getting late here.)

I was going to say the same thing but I didn't want to offend any frog lovers here on the forum. I was thinking exactly "slimy, slightly fishy chicken." If I want something that tastes like chicken I'll have chicken, thank you! :)

Then you don't want to go to Texas for their annual rattlesnake roundup. :chef:

For me the worst is liver...liver of any variety. It smells absolutely delicious when it's being cooked. You get all set to eat a fabulous meal and then, well... once it's in your mouth the texture is abhorrent. It defies description.

You guys are funny. :)

I don't care for Okra but here is my opinion on most of this. Some types of food have very specific cooking techniques required for them to taste good. Brussels Sprouts are a vegetable that are often cooked to the point of wicked bitterness.

The Top of the Harbor, above the Radisson. The outer floor in the round building makes one rotation per hour, so you pretty much get the whole view of Duluth if you eat there. I never eat there, because the food isn't that great and it's over priced. It's more of a tourist thing I guess. No locals go there. Once I had chicken Kiev, and it was ground and pressed, straight from the freezer like you would get at the grocery store. I wish it was a decent place to eat- I love the concept.

Rotating restaurants are notorious for not having great food. There isn't room for a decent sized kitchen in the centre of the thing, so most have a kitchen downstairs somewhere and food gets sent up in an elevator or dumbwaiter. I have been to some quite good buffets at a rotating restaurant though.

For me the worst is liver...liver of any variety. It smells absolutely delicious when it's being cooked. You get all set to eat a fabulous meal and then, well... once it's in your mouth the texture is abhorrent. It defies description.
What a shame. Beef liver is pretty tough, but calves liver, if cooked to a medium rare, is as tender and flavorful as veal.

Get yourself some beef calves liver and cook it for just a couple minutes on one side and then one or two minutes on the second side. It should still be slightly pink in the middle and should also be very tender.

It's sort of chewy on the outside and the middle is so tender that it kind of melts as you chew. I like this but I think I can understand why somebody might not like liver and might associate this with "yuckiness."

I remember seeing a travel show once about places in the french countryside where people would go out after a long rainfall to collect dozens of snails from their walkways and around their yards. then they'd cook them up for dinner.

the pastoral beauty of their homes and gardens were such that it seemed like a natural thing to do, so i wouldn't have any problem eating their little slugs. but i don't think i could do the same thing in my own yard.

Probably best not to take an edited cooking show too literally. Wild snails, even the edible kind, can be anywhere from nasty to poisonous until processed by starving and then salting to force them to purge. And what they eat has a lot to do with flavor.

It's really a mild flavor and all white meat. When I was growing up, I spent many summers with grandparents in Sweetwater, Texas, where they have one of the oldest and largest rattlesnake roundups. But it's close to white chicken meat when fried. Makes a good gumbo, too. I've only eaten them in the spring, when they're flushed out of their winter dens, and most have fasted over the winter. I don't know if the taste is different later in the year. I'd say that they're one of the easiest beasties to skin and dress. You really need large snakes to get much meat. The 3-4 foot rattlers in my yard aren't worth it.

I'm not afraid of rattlesnakes as long as they're kept at a proper and safe distance. Last time I encountered one (camping, curled up under my car) I took pictures and watched it for a while until finally encouraging it with a stick to leave my campsite.

But I just don't think of them as food. If I want something that tastes like chicken I'm perfectly happy with chicken.

I don't want to see reptiles on my plate! :)

Probably best not to take an edited cooking show too literally. Wild snails, even the edible kind, can be anywhere from nasty to poisonous until processed by starving and then salting to force them to purge. And what they eat has a lot to do with flavor.

It's really a mild flavor and all white meat. When I was growing up, I spent many summers with grandparents in Sweetwater, Texas, where they have one of the oldest and largest rattlesnake roundups. But it's close to white chicken meat when fried. Makes a good gumbo, too. I've only eaten them in the spring, when they're flushed out of their winter dens, and most have fasted over the winter. I don't know if the taste is different later in the year. I'd say that they're one of the easiest beasties to skin and dress. You really need large snakes to get much meat. The 3-4 foot rattlers in my yard aren't worth it.

My son used to capture live rattlers and turn them in for the $5.00 bounty. It was his 'go to the movies' money. :ohmy:

When I was a kid, on camping trips I used to catch garter snakes and sell them to the pet store when I got home, maybe a buck or two each. Garter snakes bite too but not hard enough to cause much harm.

I don't want to see garter snakes on my plate either! :)

hmm, i'd learned in survival training years ago that slug, worms, and freshwater snails were safe to eat. you just had to be careful not to eat bugs that had hair on them. those were more likely to be poisonous. i'll have to look up how snails are prepared for consumption.

First of all I want to say hello. This is my first post:yum:
Squid..yuch. Not because of the taste because I never tasted it. I just can't get past what it looks like**shudder**

What a shame. Beef liver is pretty tough, but calves liver, if cooked to a medium rare, is as tender and flavorful as veal.

Get yourself some beef calves liver and cook it for just a couple minutes on one side and then one or two minutes on the second side. It should still be slightly pink in the middle and should also be very tender.

I only eat beef liver and I cook it well done and it is fork tender.
I season with salt and pepper and lightly flour. Pan fry in canola oil. I remove from pan and fry onion rings. As they start to soften I place the liver on top, add a little water and put on the lid. Simmer until done, sturing the onions every 5 minutes or so.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom