"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #221
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Potatoes come in differnt color. Yukon Gold, purple ones. And parsnips are an off white. more toward cream colored. And they both have a distinct taste. Parsnips are very sweet. Cauliflower has nothing to recommend it. No color or taste. The purple caulflower is ornamental only.
Cauliflower has a distinct taste. It's mild, but there for sure. It's a shame you folks who can't taste it are that way. To those of us who can taste it, it's a very good flavor.

Now, here's one *I* can't taste; Green Tea! The stuff is a waste of money for me. It has no taste at all. Not even a hint of taste to me. I don't understand the massive sales of green teas. I've tried many of them and to me, none are worth a second try. I love very, very strong teas like Irish breakfast tea. I want my tea to slap me with flavor!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

I think cauliflower has a taste, but it's very mild. I like it more for it's texture though.
And I should probably mention that I eat a lot of items with little or no taste, like rice, pasta, bread. I didn't eat cauliflower as a kid, but I do now. And it seems to keep very well, too.
Please don't get rid of the cauliflower, Andy...

Old 12-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #223
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Chacun a san gout, said the old lady as she kissed the cow!

I like it!
Me too Aunt Bea!

BTW:
French; à chacun son goût “to each his own taste”
Old 12-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #224
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Raw, it has lots of flavor when eaten with a mild ranch dip. Steamed, the flavor is a bit less, but still there. Pickled, it's crunchy and a great snack.
Maybe I do have a genetic lack of tasting cauliflower. Raw eaten with ranch dip tastes like ranch dip. Steamed, no taste. Pickled tastes like pickling spices. It's probably just me. It doesn't taste bad to me, just has hardly any taste at all, no reason for me to eat it. And fortunately, nobody makes me eat it.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #225
Wine Guy

Quote:
Now, here's one *I* can't taste; Green Tea! The stuff is a waste of money for me. It has no taste at all. Not even a hint of taste to me. I don't understand the massive sales of green teas.
Green tea is something that I didn't like for a long time, but it's grown on me. I can taste it fine. To me, it tastes a little like the water that spinach has been cooked in, but with an astringent element. I drink it while I'm working since I find that coffee gives me a headache and keeps me from sleeping well at night.

I recently read a very interesting book about different beverages and how they have influenced history. There was an entire section on tea. Without going into too much detail, what I didn't realize previously is that ALL tea was green for thousands of years. It wasn't until Europeans started importing tea a couple hundred years ago that the black teas emerged. Before that, black and dark teas were considered oxidized and inferior to the green varieties.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #226
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Cauliflower has a distinct taste. It's mild, but there for sure. It's a shame you folks who can't taste it are that way. To those of us who can taste it, it's a very good flavor.

Now, here's one *I* can't taste; Green Tea! The stuff is a waste of money for me. It has no taste at all. Not even a hint of taste to me. I don't understand the massive sales of green teas. I've tried many of them and to me, none are worth a second try. I love very, very strong teas like Irish breakfast tea. I want my tea to slap me with flavor!
Green tea came about because someone said it was supposed to be an antioxidant for cancer. Your right, no flavor. It doesn't even color the water.
I like my tea black with sugar. Even Chinese tea. I want a strong tea that I can see and taste.

I have a Brown Betty teapot. But trying to find loose tea in these here parts is impossible. I am going to have to start looking on line. I also am going to need a tea cosy. We have Tea Party every Tuesday night. I bring my own Earl Grey tea bags. Everyone else drinks the standard supermarket tea. I am going to have to introduce them to the proper way to make tea.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #227
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Green tea came about because someone said it was supposed to be an antioxidant for cancer. Your right, no flavor. It doesn't even color the water.
I like my tea black with sugar. Even Chinese tea. I want a strong tea that I can see and taste.

I have a Brown Betty teapot. But trying to find loose tea in these here parts is impossible. I am going to have to start looking on line. I also am going to need a tea cosy. We have Tea Party every Tuesday night. I bring my own Earl Grey tea bags. Everyone else drinks the standard supermarket tea. I am going to have to introduce them to the proper way to make tea.
I love Earl Grey tea. Double strength! I like my tea as stong as it can get!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #228
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Quit hating on the cauliflower! I love the stuff! Raw, cooked... whatever. The only way I didn't care for it was roasted. To me it just tastes like cauliflower that's burnt around the edges.
Same here.

I think those people who can't taste it are genetically programmed not to taste it. It's yummy. Like all the brassicas, it can get some unpleasant odours if cooked too long, but it isn't nearly as bad as overcooked cabbage.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #229
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lots of people, including me, don't like cilantro. How many of you like coriander seeds as a herb? I love them!

I'm going to have try the roots.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #230
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Lots of people, including me, don't like cilantro. How many of you like coriander seeds as a herb? I love them!

I'm going to have try the roots.
I use powdered coriander in soups all the time! I think it adds a great flavor!