"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #231
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I use powdered coriander in soups all the time! I think it adds a great flavor!
Do you like cilantro? That's actually coriander greens.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #232
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you like cilantro? That's actually coriander greens.
yes, I do and I've never noticed any "soapy" flavor that is so commonly talked about.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #233
Executive Chef

I've never tasted soapy cilantro, nor have I ever heard anybody say they taste soapy except on the Internet. I like cilantro enough that I sometimes go crazy adding it to tacos, guacamole, particularly when cooking for only myself. (I'm less likely to add huge amounts of cilantro to Thai dishes, don't know why. It's the Mexican stuff that gets me out of control!)

Yet I have no doubt some people taste cilantro as soapy. The Internet says so. Those people are lucky I can't feed them over the Internet!

(A good router will definitely keep out that soapy cilantro taste!)
Old 12-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #234
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just wonder how many people like only cilantro or coriander, not both.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #235
Executive Chef

I've got something not yet mentioned as "foods you don't want to see on your plate." Anything that moves! I don't want anything that is still alive, particularly if it is still capable of locomotion.

Actually I recall eating live clams as a kid camping on the beach near Ventura (north of Los Angeles). We dug clams in the surf, then kept them in buckets of sea water for a few hours, to let them spit out any sand. Then we ate them live! We'd carefully pick up a clam so it wouldn't ... you know ... clam up! And cut the muscle that they used to keep themselves tightly closed, then used the knife to cut all attachments to the shell so the clam is completely separated. Then a squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco sauce, and eat them up! Alive!

I'm not so sure I'd do that today because this was a long time ago and I'm not so sure the water is pure enough these days that I'd want to eat live clams right of the ocean. At not least anywhere near a large city. Nor would I want to do this with clams that were more than a few hours out of the ocean.

So the question is, would you eat anything on your plate if it was alive? And if so, what?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #236
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
So the question is, would you eat anything on your plate if it was alive? And if so, what?
The only foods I've eaten alive are oysters. There is a type of sushi that is prized by some sushi lovers; It's fish that has been filleted and cut into bite sized pieces so quickly at the table that it is still moving when you pick up a bite. I've never even seen it and would prefer to eat my sushi after it quits moving. I have prepared it, literally, on the beach, but never eaten it while it was moving. Feeling something move while I'm chewing it isn't something I would enjoy.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #237
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I've got something not yet mentioned as "foods you don't want to see on your plate." Anything that moves! I don't want anything that is still alive, particularly if it is still capable of locomotion.

Actually I recall eating live clams as a kid camping on the beach near Ventura (north of Los Angeles). We dug clams in the surf, then kept them in buckets of sea water for a few hours, to let them spit out any sand. Then we ate them live! We'd carefully pick up a clam so it wouldn't ... you know ... clam up! And cut the muscle that they used to keep themselves tightly closed, then used the knife to cut all attachments to the shell so the clam is completely separated. Then a squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco sauce, and eat them up! Alive!

I'm not so sure I'd do that today because this was a long time ago and I'm not so sure the water is pure enough these days that I'd want to eat live clams right of the ocean. At not least anywhere near a large city. Nor would I want to do this with clams that were more than a few hours out of the ocean.

When I said anything still squirming in the second post I meant anything still alive, or moving as you say. So yeah, nothing still alive or barely dead for me.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #238
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
When I said anything still squirming in the second post I meant anything still alive, or moving as you say. So yeah, nothing still alive or barely dead for me.
It has been long enough that I forgot the earlier posts.

These days I don't want to eat anything alive, not even the clams from my childhood. It doesn't bother me now that I did that back then but it's not something I relish repeating.

I'm glad my mom and dad were adventuresome foodies (and my mom a good cook and my dad a good at barbecue). I'm sure they are responsible for me being a foodie and enthusiastic amateur chef.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #239
Executive Chef

Quote:
It has been long enough that I forgot the earlier posts.

These days I don't want to eat anything alive, not even the clams from my childhood. It doesn't bother me now that I did that back then but it's not something I relish repeating.

I'm glad my mom and dad were adventuresome foodies (and my mom a good cook and my dad a good at barbecue). I'm sure they are responsible for me being a foodie and enthusiastic amateur chef.
i am in agreement with you, essentially, and would decline any food that is still alive. although, i must admit that your description of eating live clams (and my own memories of live oysters on the half shell) give me a twinge of nostalgic pause....
Old 12-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #240
Chef Extraordinaire

I am a New Englander and have always lived within walking distance of the Atlantic Ocean. Many times I have opened a clam and sucked it right down my throat as it was still wiggling. It's the N.E. way. I don't put lemon on it or Tabasco Sauce on them either.