"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #231
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I use powdered coriander in soups all the time! I think it adds a great flavor!
Do you like cilantro? That's actually coriander greens.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #232
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you like cilantro? That's actually coriander greens.
yes, I do and I've never noticed any "soapy" flavor that is so commonly talked about.
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #233
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I've never tasted soapy cilantro, nor have I ever heard anybody say they taste soapy except on the Internet. I like cilantro enough that I sometimes go crazy adding it to tacos, guacamole, particularly when cooking for only myself. (I'm less likely to add huge amounts of cilantro to Thai dishes, don't know why. It's the Mexican stuff that gets me out of control!)

Yet I have no doubt some people taste cilantro as soapy. The Internet says so. Those people are lucky I can't feed them over the Internet!

(A good router will definitely keep out that soapy cilantro taste!)
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #234
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just wonder how many people like only cilantro or coriander, not both.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #235
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I've got something not yet mentioned as "foods you don't want to see on your plate." Anything that moves! I don't want anything that is still alive, particularly if it is still capable of locomotion.

Actually I recall eating live clams as a kid camping on the beach near Ventura (north of Los Angeles). We dug clams in the surf, then kept them in buckets of sea water for a few hours, to let them spit out any sand. Then we ate them live! We'd carefully pick up a clam so it wouldn't ... you know ... clam up! And cut the muscle that they used to keep themselves tightly closed, then used the knife to cut all attachments to the shell so the clam is completely separated. Then a squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco sauce, and eat them up! Alive!

I'm not so sure I'd do that today because this was a long time ago and I'm not so sure the water is pure enough these days that I'd want to eat live clams right of the ocean. At not least anywhere near a large city. Nor would I want to do this with clams that were more than a few hours out of the ocean.

So the question is, would you eat anything on your plate if it was alive? And if so, what?
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #236
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
So the question is, would you eat anything on your plate if it was alive? And if so, what?
The only foods I've eaten alive are oysters. There is a type of sushi that is prized by some sushi lovers; It's fish that has been filleted and cut into bite sized pieces so quickly at the table that it is still moving when you pick up a bite. I've never even seen it and would prefer to eat my sushi after it quits moving. I have prepared it, literally, on the beach, but never eaten it while it was moving. Feeling something move while I'm chewing it isn't something I would enjoy.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #237
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've got something not yet mentioned as "foods you don't want to see on your plate." Anything that moves! I don't want anything that is still alive, particularly if it is still capable of locomotion.

Actually I recall eating live clams as a kid camping on the beach near Ventura (north of Los Angeles). We dug clams in the surf, then kept them in buckets of sea water for a few hours, to let them spit out any sand. Then we ate them live! We'd carefully pick up a clam so it wouldn't ... you know ... clam up! And cut the muscle that they used to keep themselves tightly closed, then used the knife to cut all attachments to the shell so the clam is completely separated. Then a squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco sauce, and eat them up! Alive!

I'm not so sure I'd do that today because this was a long time ago and I'm not so sure the water is pure enough these days that I'd want to eat live clams right of the ocean. At not least anywhere near a large city. Nor would I want to do this with clams that were more than a few hours out of the ocean.

So the question is, would you eat anything on your plate if it was alive? And if so, what?
When I said anything still squirming in the second post I meant anything still alive, or moving as you say. So yeah, nothing still alive or barely dead for me.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #238
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
When I said anything still squirming in the second post I meant anything still alive, or moving as you say. So yeah, nothing still alive or barely dead for me.
It has been long enough that I forgot the earlier posts.

These days I don't want to eat anything alive, not even the clams from my childhood. It doesn't bother me now that I did that back then but it's not something I relish repeating.

I'm glad my mom and dad were adventuresome foodies (and my mom a good cook and my dad a good at barbecue). I'm sure they are responsible for me being a foodie and enthusiastic amateur chef.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #239
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It has been long enough that I forgot the earlier posts.

These days I don't want to eat anything alive, not even the clams from my childhood. It doesn't bother me now that I did that back then but it's not something I relish repeating.

I'm glad my mom and dad were adventuresome foodies (and my mom a good cook and my dad a good at barbecue). I'm sure they are responsible for me being a foodie and enthusiastic amateur chef.
i am in agreement with you, essentially, and would decline any food that is still alive. although, i must admit that your description of eating live clams (and my own memories of live oysters on the half shell) give me a twinge of nostalgic pause....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #240
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
I am a New Englander and have always lived within walking distance of the Atlantic Ocean. Many times I have opened a clam and sucked it right down my throat as it was still wiggling. It's the N.E. way. I don't put lemon on it or Tabasco Sauce on them either.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.