"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #271
Executive Chef

what is so bad about a pink-colored salad? my favorite potato salad comes out pink because of the canned beets i use. to me, pink salad is a sure sign that it's going to taste fabulous!!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #272
Senior Cook

I wont even go in the same room as herring. And I consider myself a lover of all fishes. Herring is the only fish I met I didnt like.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #273
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My grandma made it with whipped cream...my aunt makes it with MW. I make it with sour cream...but was thinking I could use Greek Yogurt instead or "pseudo" sour cream made from cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt. I haven't tried that--yet.It is pink...but why couldn't one do an oil-vinegar dressing for it? Have you tried that, TL?
I haven't found a source of decent pickled herring here. Mrs. Whyte's (sp?) is sweet. I tried another Canadian brand and it tasted like the herring wasn't very fresh when it was made. The stuff from Ikea is full of weird chemicals. Once in a blue moon I find something Scandinavian or Finnish that is good, but expensive. I'm not going to experiment with making a salad with expensive herring. I'm going to eat that some way I know I will enjoy.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #274
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
what is so bad about a pink-colored salad? my favorite potato salad comes out pink because of the canned beets i use. to me, pink salad is a sure sign that it's going to taste fabulous!!
Yeah, try explaining a pink fish salad to the other 3rd graders who think you are weird for having whole wheat bread. And my mum didn't just make this on whole wheat. She made it one slice whole wheat and one slice heavy rye bread.

I grew up in the 50s. There was a lot of weird un-food passing for food. I didn't like (and still don't like) pink ice cream. It was called strawberry, but had nothing to do with strawberries. I enjoy ice cream made with actual strawberries.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #275
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The Fishmonger who came to the house every Tuesday when I lived in Northern Germany often had smoked eel. I found it way too fatty for my liking. I was only 17--maybe my palette was under-developed having grown up with my mother's 7-day rotating menu...perhaps I would like it now...

Beets are perhaps my most favorite veggie after eggplant. I love beets raw (baby, grated), pickled, juiced, roasted, baked, boiled....right after beet juice, I love pomegranate juice--except no matter how I juice the seeds, I end up having to wash the walls.
Have you ever tried Harvard Beets? They are a sweet/sour concoction.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #276
Chef Extraordinaire

Something I just ate.
I wouldn't want to see that back on my plate either.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #277
Senior Cook

I never want to see a fast food burger on my dinner plate. Or any other fast food item....ever.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #278
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiabi View Post
I never want to see a fast food burger on my dinner plate. Or any other fast food item....ever.
That would indeed be a strange sight. Fast food should be eaten right out of the bag
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
yes please. please post it for everyone.

i 've grown red and the red and white striped ones. never had white or golden beets, but they sound good.
Beet - Potato Salad (maybe TaxLady can share it's real name--but that's what we call it). My grandmother made this with whipping cream (whipped), my aunt with mayo, I make it with sour cream + some milk to thin it a bit.

1 jar pickled herring, chopped (and drained) (or sardines?)
1-1/2 c cold boiled potatoes, chopped in cubes
1-1/2 c cold boiled beets (or 1-1/2 c pickled beets) cubed
3/4 c grated apple (Granny Smith is my favorite to use)
2 T cider vinegar (or white)
2 T sugar
3/4 c whipping cream (whipped light--not stiff) or mayo or sour cream thinned with some milk
parsley
6 hard boiled eggs, sliced

Combine the first 5 ingredients, add in the liquid and sugar, fold in cream/mayo/sour cream. Pack into a greased bowl. Chill overnight. Unmold on a bed of lettuce, garnish with egg slices and chopped parsley. This is so simple--I'm embarrassed.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #280
Chef Extraordinaire

The one my mum made didn't have potatoes, or apples, or sugar, or eggs. I'm pretty sure it had onions or maybe it was scallions. It was called "sildesalat" in Danish; it would be "sillsallad" in Swedish. That just means herring salad. If you wanted to specify that it was with beets and potatoes (in Swedish), you would add "med rödbetor och potatis".