"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #291
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Only because we Mountain Goats can't get the freshest seafood.
My girlfriend in Atlanta fell in love with Haddock when she came up to Conn. for a business trip. Can't get it in Atlanta. And on special order $25.00 per pound. That was the cheapest price she was quoted. We pay $4.99 per pound. I know it is mean of me, but I let her know every time I cook it. And Maine lobsters are so plentiful, that now I am so sick of them. $4.99 a pound right now. Oh dear, was I being mean again?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #292
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My girlfriend in Atlanta fell in love with Haddock when she came up to Conn. for a business trip. Can't get it in Atlanta. And on special order $25.00 per pound. That was the cheapest price she was quoted. We pay $4.99 per pound. I know it is mean of me, but I let her know every time I cook it. And Maine lobsters are so plentiful, that now I am so sick of them. $4.99 a pound right now. Oh dear, was I being mean again?
When was the last time you were called a "Brat?"

Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #293
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

When was the last time you were called a "Brat?"
+1.

Sigh. Sucks being landlocked. Mississippi catfish just ain't the same as lobster, haddock, etc., etc.

Brat.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #294
Chef Extraordinaire

i know what you mean, addie. real maine lobsters (not canadian or down-easters) are only $7 a pound even here in joisey almost all year long.

i guess someone in kansas city or chicago can say they get better beef, but since it travels well, it's not as big of a difference.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #295
Executive Chef

Okay I hope nobody objects to me being a little creative with the topic, but from what I've seen at least in this topic it appears that strict adherence to the topic is not a total requirement.

So what if you saw dog food on your plate? I guess this post will prove I'm an adventuresome foodie, and dog lover too! (I have a cute little 14 year old cocker mix who I'm very fond of.) A couple times I was serving my dog his canned dinner and I wondered what his food tasted like, whether it was okay or was it gross?

It was Pedigree canned dog food (the chunky kind with sauce on the side) and I tasted both the chicken and beef flavors (at separate times). Actually it wasn't bad at all, and in fact if I were stranded camping and had nothing to eat but a couple cans of my dog's food I wouldn't have any great reservations particularly if there was no other choice except to go without food. I expected it would have a strong taste and be salty but was surprised to discover that it had no particular seasoning and was very mild in taste, in fact IMO might have used a bit of salt if I actually intended to eat it. Each of the two trials involved eating only about a half of a teaspoon, just enough to see what it tasted like.

I bet I'm getting into the area of one of the most outrageous posts on this forum! But really my dog's Pedigree canned dog food wasn't all that bad, although I bet most forum members would definitely not want to find dog food on their plates!

(He eventually tired of Pedigree and I presently feed him a different brand, which I have not yet tasted.)
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #296
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i know what you mean, addie. real maine lobsters (not canadian or down-easters) are only $7 a pound even here in joisey almost all year long.
Now you're really beginning to annoy me! Honestly, I had to quit eating lobster because I just can't afford it. I can't recall any recent price but I recall it was in the vicinity of $20 per pound (Los Angeles). I'd gladly spring $14 for a two pound lobster any day!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #297
Chef Extraordinaire

greg, did you notice any improvement in your hair and coat after the dog food tastings?

lol.

one of my sisters tried canned dog food once when we were kids. she said it wasn't terrible.

i've tasted dry doggie biscuits as a joke. they were really boring, somewhere between an unsalty cracker and an unsweetened cookie.

dumb dogs...

Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #298
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Now you're really beginning to annoy me! Honestly, I had to quit eating lobster because I just can't afford it. I can't recall any recent price but I recall it was in the vicinity of $20 per pound (Los Angeles). I'd gladly spring $14 for a two pound lobster any day!
I wouldn't even look at a two pound lobster. They get thrown right back in the tank.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #299
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
My father got up drunk or hung over, went to the fridge, found an open can, thinking it was beef stew finished the can off. Yeah, it was an open can of dog food. Told my mother she should buy that brand of canned stew all the time.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #300
Chef Extraordinaire

i remember when giant south african lobster tails were the big deal back in the late 80's. the tails alone were 2 to 3 pounds.