"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #301
Chef Extraordinaire

i drank "cat water" once.

our old cat hercules preferred to drink from a big, wide mug rather than a bowl, so dw used to pour him a mug of cold water everyday. one day, she left it on the counter, so herc jumped up and drank from it several times after eating his stinky canned food.

i happened to come in from a blistering hot day of working in the garden, and after checking the fridge and finding no cold water, i noticed the mug on the counter. thinking dw had just poured it for herself before she left, i took a couple of big chugs before i noticed it smelled like stinky cat breath and had a few teeny bits of food floating in it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #302
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Now you're really beginning to annoy me! Honestly, I had to quit eating lobster because I just can't afford it. I can't recall any recent price but I recall it was in the vicinity of $20 per pound (Los Angeles). I'd gladly spring $14 for a two pound lobster any day!
Did I remember to tell you about the time my husband the commercial fisherman brought home 16 live lobsters and I let them all die? I had put them in the bottom crisper drawer and forgot all about them.

Well, I will be nice and not tell you about when he would bring home 10-20 pounds of freshly caught and filleted Haddock for us.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #303
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a plant not far from where I live called Channel Fish Co. They process fillers for cat foods. When I worked for an Overhead Door company, we would have to pay the workers time and a half plus replace all their clothing to get them to go there and work on the broken door. And when one of the freezers go down, we have had some of the folks who live near evacuate due to the smell. I sure wouldn't want cat food on my plate knowing what I know.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #304
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Did I remember to tell you about the time my husband the commercial fisherman brought home 16 live lobsters and I let them all die? I had put them in the bottom crisper drawer and forgot all about them.

Well, I will be nice and not tell you about when he would bring home 10-20 pounds of freshly caught and filleted Haddock for us.

It is probably good that you don't. Haddock is the only filet of fish I will eat and it is real hard to come by in these parts these days.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 AM   #305
Chef Extraordinaire

is haddock the fish traditionally used in fish-n-chips?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #306
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Around these here parts it is. Or Cod. We can get Haddock for around $4.99 to $6.99 a pound. Cod is much cheaper. You get Haddock at market price for the day with chips. It is highly regulated by the Feds. You can catch it during only certain times. Canada is killing us with the Haddock catch. As far as I know, they don't have the limitations that we have and we ceded George's Banks to them. It is probably the richest fishing spot in the Atlantic.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #307
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
In the UK it varies by region.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #308
Chef Extraordinaire

what other kinds of fish are used there, bolas?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #309
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I can say, that if the cat food I fed the cats didn't smell decent, I wouldn't buy it. I couldn't imagine trying to feed them first thing in the morning and hating the smell.

If I was starving I guess I could eat it.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #310
Master Chef

Those bacon strips fed to dogs taste terrible, you know the ones "It's Bacon! Please I'd get them myself by I don't have any hands! Bacon!"

They are bitter and taste nothing like bacon. So if dogs have such a sensitive olfactory system, how come they like something so foul as those strips?

As for things I'd rather not see on my plate, don't think I could stomach those spiders they sell in Cambodia, as a snack, on street corners.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote