What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I previously stated I do not want to see goat cheese on my plate. Well I was at a restaurant this weekend and they brought out an amuse bouche for everyone.

It was fried goat cheese with pesto. Now I will admit it was the best goat cheese I have had it was the least goat tasting. And the pesto was delicious. But about 10 minutes after I finished it I was still tasting the goat.

Once again it reaffirms my dislike of the cheese. I will taste it again in another year. I can only hope the goat cheese fad will go away. :chef:

Hmmm I love goat cheese lol. And because of it's smaller molecules goat cheese/milk is easier to digest, so lactose intolerant people can usually handle it. I've read that even calves do better on goats milk than mothers milk. I, for one, do not hope the fad passes :)

I can only hope the goat cheese fad will go away. :chef:
I, for one, do not hope the fad passes :)

I don't think a 40 year practice of doing something would be a fad.

I've seen goat cheese listed in recipes since the early 70's, so after 40 years of goat cheese inclusion into recipes, I seriously doubt that it's going to stop being popular.

I tried it recently for the first time, and it was ok, but not anything that stands out in my memory of foods I love.

Last edited:
Goat cheese isn't going away, just like sun-dried tomatoes haven't gone away. They just don't show up in recipes after a while.

I think goat cheese has been used in Mediterranean cuisine for much longer than 40 years, probably hundreds of years or more. Popularity of EU recipes in the US probably ensures that goat cheese will be with us forever.

Goat cheese isn't going away, just like sun-dried tomatoes haven't gone away. They just don't show up in recipes after a while.

I've never used "Sun Dried Tomatoes". I have a dehydrator that I use almost constantly during harvest months. I kept expanding it until I now have 15 trays for it. The thing is almost as tall as I am. I love the thing. It's as easy as can be and I freeze the results. I think they would last forever in the freezer.

I wait for veggies to be on sale and buy enough to fill the dehydrator twice.

My youngest son made the best butter spread using sun dried tomatoes and some spices. I loved it, it was addictive, you kept wanting more. But sad to say he has lost the recipe. He has looked on the internet but can't find the right one. Bummer.

I have yet to find a "sun dried tomato" that was edible. I think they are so gross. I love tomatoes, but not them. Fortunately I am not a person who tries to follow the latest trend in food. Serving veggies that I can't even get my fork into, is another one I refuse to go with. Cook my food so I can eat it and get my fork into. I know. I am getting old and cranky. :ohmy:

oh, c'mon addie. you're not old. ;)

Well close to it. My sister died when she was 74. So now my kids have me in a contest with her. They want me to live to 75. I don't know how this rivalry with her kids cam about, but I wish it would end. Only three years to go. I didn't even expect to make it to 72. But I am working on that 75. Then I will start to get old.:ermm:

My youngest son made the best butter spread using sun dried tomatoes and some spices. I loved it, it was addictive, you kept wanting more. But sad to say he has lost the recipe. He has looked on the internet but can't find the right one. Bummer.

I forgot to add that he also put in some cream cheese.:yum:

I've discovered I don't want to see Brie cheese on my plate. I tried a free sample of it on a cracker at the grocery store, and thought it was good, but when I tried it on a cracker at home, all I could taste was this gross musty flavor!! So I tried it with fruit preserves on a cracker, and I could still taste it over the fruit. I'm about ready to chuck it in the garbage. Not sure I want to eat something I have to try to cover up the flavor. I would be willing to try it one more time to see if I just don't have the right combo. Any suggestions?

I've discovered I don't want to see Brie cheese on my plate. I tried a free sample of it on a cracker at the grocery store, and thought it was good, but when I tried it on a cracker at home, all I could taste was this gross musty flavor!! So I tried it with fruit preserves on a cracker, and I could still taste it over the fruit. I'm about ready to chuck it in the garbage. Not sure I want to eat something I have to try to cover up the flavor. I would be willing to try it one more time to see if I just don't have the right combo. Any suggestions?

My DH says that both Camembert and Brie have a slight mushroom flavour. I don't notice that. Is that the musty flavour you mean?

How ripe it is makes a huge difference. I find that overripe Brie has a slightly ammonia smell. Under-ripe and it's a bit sour.

I like a slightly too ripe Camembert or Brie with strawberry jam. If it is perfectly ripe, I just want it with butter or plain.

Last edited:

Sounds like you got some of the skim covering from the top of the cheese. No wonder you weren't crazy about it. Try scooping some out from the very middle. If you still get the same results, find someone who likes it or toss it. :huh:

Addie said:
Sounds like you got some of the skim covering from the top of the cheese. No wonder you weren't crazy about it. Try scooping some out from the very middle. If you still get the same results, find someone who likes it or toss it. :huh:

Thanks :) I actually used a wire cheese cutter to cut the rind off, and I'm pretty sure (especially the second time I tried it) that I didn't get any of the rind. Maybe I'll make up a cheese and cracker plate for me and my bf and see if he likes it. If not, there isn't that much left so I won't feel bad about tossing cheese that neither of us likes lol

Taxlady, I think you might be right that it is over-ripe. I'm sure at the store the cheese they cut up for samples was perfectly ripe. What a waste of perfectly good crackers!

Last edited:
Here's my Brie recipe:

Toast some almond slices in a pan using butter as the fat. Reserve the toasted almond slices on a few paper towels to absorb any grease/fat.

Sprinkle the toasted almond slices over your Brie on a serving plate, then nuke it all until the Brie is softened.

Serve with suitable crackers.

cut off the top of the rind, wrap the brie in foil, bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until it's gooey, serve on a bed of raspberry preserves with crackers or crusty bread and eat it like a raclette. yum!

Last edited:

i'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but it's a "musty" flavor that i like so much about brie. for me, the rind is the tastiest part of this and many other cheeses....:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom