What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I read bits and pieces of this thread (no way I could read all 68 pages :rolleyes: ), and I find it surprising some of the things that people who frequent a cooking forum won't eat (Beets? Really?). There are things I don't care for, but very few that I won't eat if they are put in front of me.

I really don't much like:

Okra (slimy and eeewww)
Eggplant (I seem to have overactive bitter taste buds - all I taste is bitter)
Coffee (see eggplant) (it can actually give me nausea)
Lima beans (hard, dry, ick!)
Liver and most organ meat (Awful texture and flavor)
Any raw animal flesh, including fish (it's a texture thing again)

I have eaten or drunk all of the above at one time or another (that's how I know I don't like it ;)). I've had things like sheep's tongue souse, which is okay and I can eat it, but I'd rather have chicken and conch souse. Frog's legs are quite tasty.

I do not like the sushi and the raw oysters. Sushi has the terrible taste and the raw oysters feel like the swallowing of a large amount of snot.

~Cat

It's funny how an experience can change one's eating habits. I ate oyster stew as a child. It was up there in the flavor department, along with New England clam chowder. I loved them both. And then one day, I bit into an oyster, and saw this green sludge inside. I haven't been able to eat oysters ever since, and that was 45 years back, or so. And yet, I have no issues with organ meats, head cheese, and many other foods that people find objectionable. All I can say is that sometimes, how we react to things, just makes no sense.

Fried spiders, anyone? They're eaten with abandon in parts of Cambodia. Or maybe you'd prefer that Filipino delicacy, balut. :LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Okra
Lima beans
Radishes
Liver
Tongue
Feet
Insects

I had a sweetmeat appetizer at a fine dining restaurant and loved it. The sauce was amazing.

I do not like the sushi and the raw oysters. Sushi has the terrible taste and the raw oysters feel like the swallowing of a large amount of snot.

~Cat

That is exactly how I feel about raw oysters! LOL I have tasted sushi and it's OK, but I don't understand what the big fuss it all about. It is not something I would go out of my way to get, but if it is available to me again, somewhere else, I would try it to see if maybe I just didn't like the way they made it at the first place I tried it. If I try two places and still don't like it, then I'm done.

It's funny how an experience can change one's eating habits. I ate oyster stew as a child. It was up there in the flavor department, along with New England clam chowder. I loved them both. And then one day, I bit into an oyster, and saw this green sludge inside. I haven't been able to eat oysters ever since, and that was 45 years back, or so. And yet, I have no issues with organ meats, head cheese, and many other foods that people find objectionable. All I can say is that sometimes, how we react to things, just makes no sense.

Fried spiders, anyone? They're eaten with abandon in parts of Cambodia. Or maybe you'd prefer that Filipino delicacy, balut. :LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had something, I think it was Oysters Rockefeller that was OK because I think the oysters were cooked. And my mother used to put chopped up oysters in her stuffing for Thanksgiving. I ate it but didn't notice the oysters.

The fried spiders are classified with non-food items that I will not try. I don't care if they eat it in Cambodia. I'm in the US and I'm not eating them.

A few years ago, I didn't like pumpkin but know I eat whatever it comes to my plate.

Your tastes change from time to time, that's why you should try something once in a while, that you didn't care for before. When I make pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, I can eat the pumpkin straight from the can, but once I mix it with the sugar and spices I don't like it, because I don't like sweets.

There are those foods to which one has an aversion, and then there are those foods for which one just doesn't get too jazzed about. I don't dislike pumpkin, I just like squash better and prefer squash over pumpkin. I don't dislike parsnips, I just prefer rutabaga. Whereas I do not like bananas or pears, it is a texture thing. I can, however, eat both in baked goods. I do not like lutefisk, it is definitely a texture thing. However, if served s/thing I do not like at s/one else's home, I will eat it. It just is not something that shows up in my grocery cart or in my house. We all have foods we enjoy, and those that are just so-so.

There are those foods to which one has an aversion, and then there are those foods for which one just doesn't get too jazzed about. I don't dislike pumpkin, I just like squash better and prefer squash over pumpkin. I don't dislike parsnips, I just prefer rutabaga. Whereas I do not like bananas or pears, it is a texture thing. I can, however, eat both in baked goods. I do not like lutefisk, it is definitely a texture thing. However, if served s/thing I do not like at s/one else's home, I will eat it. It just is not something that shows up in my grocery cart or in my house. We all have foods we enjoy, and those that are just so-so.

That's exactly how I feel about it too. I will try a new food instead of looking at it and saying Yuk!

That's exactly how I feel about it too. I will try a new food instead of looking at it and saying Yuk!

I will try new foods, too, usually. The ones I listed are ones I have tried and don't like. Except the insects. I have no desire to try insects.

Last New Year's Eve, we went to some friends' house and shared appetizers. I thought I didn't like pate-type pulverized chicken, but she served a curried chicken pate and I really liked it.

Lutefisk is also tasteless except for the drawn butter. Ever notice how Norsk food tends toward white and bland? Although I love Norsk baked goods: jule kake, sandbakkel, lefsa, rosettes, etc. I make all of it for the holidays. And smoked chubs are wonderful, but I hate pulling off the heads. I don't like food looking at me!

Lutefisk is also tasteless except for the drawn butter. Ever notice how Norsk food tends toward white and bland? Although I love Norsk baked goods: jule kake, sandbakkel, lefsa, rosettes, etc. I make all of it for the holidays. And smoked chubs are wonderful, but I hate pulling off the heads. I don't like food looking at me!
It is called "snow blindness.":LOL: The goods you mentioned are traditional Christmas baked goods that our grandmothers made (and, by tradition, we still make). Lefse was a way to use up the leftover mashed potatoes.

Modern Scandinavian cooking is not at all like my grandma's cooking. Check out:

New Scandinavian Cooking | Welcome to culinary Scandinavia
Food & drink in Sweden - SWEDEN.SE

Marcus Samuelsson:

About « Chef Marcus Samuelsson

Tina Nordstrom:

Tina Nordstrom | New Scandinavian Cooking

The recipes published in Viking Magazine:

Sons of Norway - Norwegian Culture - Viking Magazine (one of my favorites is the meatballs in gjetost sauce - Sons of Norway - Recipe Box)

Swedish food

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/d...nordic-food-heritage.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Modern Swedish Food on Vimeo

I can think of several not-bland, tasty, traditional dishes: frikadeller, rødkål (red cabbage), Danish meatloaf, rullepølse, smoked or gravad salmon and trout, leverpostej (Danish liver pate), smoked herring (not kippers ;)), cod liver pate, Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwiches), ...

I can think of several not-bland, tasty, traditional dishes: frikadeller, rødkål (red cabbage), Danish meatloaf, rullepølse, smoked or gravad salmon and trout, leverpostej (Danish liver pate), smoked herring (not kippers ;)), cod liver pate, Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwiches), ...
I can think of several non-white, not-bland dishes as well--Biff à la Lindström always showed up at the ASI potlucks I attended (http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Lifestyle/Food-drink/Swedish-culinary-classics/Biff-a-la-Lindstrom/)

Last edited:
Thank you for reminding me about this dish. I'll probably make it tomorrow.
Stirling reminded me that we have a jar of Polish pickled beet salad. I'll use that in the bøf Lundstrøm (Danish spelling). That will simplify making it and I'm lazy and out of pickled beets. :rolleyes:

Stirling reminded me that we have a jar of Polish pickled beet salad. I'll use that in the bøf Lundstrøm (Danish spelling). That will simplify making it and I'm lazy and out of pickled beets. :rolleyes:

;) Don't think of it as being lazy, you are just saving your energy for more difficult chores that require vast amounts of effort. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom