What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember there was a spoof website, something like manmeat.com that purported to sell steaks made from human flesh.

It looked like a real site. Perhaps the jokesters tired of their jokes, or perhaps they were pressured to quit teasing about such a sensitive subject.

I also remember petv.org, "People for the Ethical Treatment of Vegetables," which is also now defunct. It was a great spoof of the PETA site.

Personally I have no objection to killing any animals except those who are our common pets (dogs & cats) ... and humans of course ... for meat. As far as plants, I don't think they have any ability to perceive pain or any central nervous system to recognize it, so kill all the plants you like (except endangered species).

I recall a story told to me by my Chinese friend and colleague Qiuyan who was loaned a pet dog when she was a girl growing up in China. (She eventually earned an engineering degree and emigrated to the US and worked with me at a medical electronic company.) One day her neighbor who loaned her the pet dog reclaimed it, hung it by its hind legs and beat it with a baseball bat (to tenderize it) until it died, and then he cooked it and offered Qiuyan some of the meat, which of course she declined.

It was a pretty strong story, I hope you don't mind me sharing it, but it illustrates that other cultures may regard our pets as food animals. And to cap off the story, many people regard cows as sacred in India yet beef is one of our biggest meat sources in Western society.

Is it a pet or is it food? It depends on your cultural and culinary values and customs.
I think this illustrates a point about how food animals are treated during their lives and at the end. I find it odd that (at least in the UK) people will eat meat killed in abattoirs where animals are frequently stressed both in transport and in the killing areas but will castigate anyone who shoots his own dinner. At least in the latter case the animal or bird has had a comfortable free life.

My uncle and a couple of cousins were in the meat trade and they have all, at different times told me that the quality and flavour of the meat is seriously undermined if the animal is subjected to stress during transport and the killing procedure.

Egg yolks, liver, & venison all top my list of un-liked foods.

I am not one to eat wild meat. Too gamey tasting for me. But I just bought two pieces of liver. After cutting them into portion size, I now have enough for six meals. Want to come to supper? :angel:

I cannot even stomach the smell of liver, Nasty stuff! I am not overly fond of most meat.

Heart, brains, stomach lining, lungs, bulls testicles. (from Britain)

Chittlings. (US) I am pretty sure these would be on my list of things to avoid.

And from seeing some shows about China ......

I am not a big fan of offal. :sick:

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with a bit of black pudding or Haggis... just so long as you don't read the "ingredients" list too closely! :)

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with a bit of black pudding or Haggis... just so long as you don't read the "ingredients" list too closely! :)
I have to agree about tripe (stomach lining).

Have never come across bull's testicles in the UK but have had "lamb's fry" (Which are lamb's gentlemen's bits) once - not impressed - tasteless.

I often saw Chitterlings in Ryde's Pork butchers (a small, family owned chain f butchers in Derbyshire) when I lived in Belper in the 1970s but there aren't many pork-specific butchers left in the midlands and north nowadays.

Love liver if it isn't over-cooked and devilled kidneys.

Bananas, kippers and sardines (tinned or fresh) are on my list of "bleuch" foods.

Oh I forgot, chubs invaded the Eastern Sierra (the High Sierras in eastern California) about 25-30 years ago. They are a voracious fish that is well known to fisherman because of their huge amount of bones compared to meat. As far as I know all fisherman just kill chubs when they catch them, and toss them in the trash.

Just to be clear, these fish are not native to the Sierras and were introduced by man whether intentionally or unintentionally I do not know. The only purpose they serve is that they kill game fish and they compete with game fish for food.
The only recipe I've come across for chubb is from Mrs Beeton - "Stewed Chubb" - which sounds really depressing. Chubb can be eaten but only if you are desperate. They are supposed to be good fishing though. Eating them isn't an issue in UK as most fresh water fishing is done for sport and the fish have to be thrown back (unless it's a fish farm with facilities to catch your own.).

Last edited:
I am not one to eat wild meat. Too gamey tasting for me. But I just bought two pieces of liver. After cutting them into portion size, I now have enough for six meals. Want to come to supper? :angel:
The gamey-ness of game depends on the length of hanging. The longer it hangs the "higher" it tastes.

When I was a little girl we knew a chap who worked at the Grosvenor House Hotel (very up-market establishment in London). He once told an old (and possibly apocryphal) story of a customer who ordered a whole pheasant and when he'd eaten it he sent his compliments to the chef on the delicious rice stuffing in the bird. "Oh?", said the chef "But there wasn't any stuffing in the bird". You may use your imagination as to what it was that the diner thought was rice!!!!

Needless to say, it isn't hung that long any longer. Supermarket pheasant doesn't taste much stronger than free range chicken.

A Chinese friend told me that there is no word for "offal" in Chinese. :ermm:;)

A Chinese friend told me that there is no word for "offal" in Chinese. :ermm:;)

I would at least try the things Katy mentioned if someone else prepared it for me. I have wanted to try chittlings for years but cannot find anyone who will prepare it for me. I don't know waht "offal" is, but is it pronounced "awful?"

Sure thing. I aim to please! And someone can have mine as I don't like bacon with my liver. :angel:

I love chicken livers wrapped in bacon and broiled. Went to a restaurant once that served them as appetizers. No one else wanted them so I got to eat them all. (And I wonder why I have a weight problem.)

I would at least try the things Katy mentioned if someone else prepared it for me. I have wanted to try chittlings for years but cannot find anyone who will prepare it for me. I don't know waht "offal" is, but is it pronounced "awful?"

Offal is primarily the internal organs of food animals, including lungs, hearts, livers, stomachs, intestines and brains. And yes, it's pronounced "awful."

Chitterlings are intestines and from what I've read, they require at least an hour of cleaning and several hours of cooking to be safe to eat. I would look for a soul food restaurant if you want to try them. Don't know if you have those in PA, but we sure do in VA :)

Offal is primarily the internal organs of food animals, including lungs, hearts, livers, stomachs, intestines and brains. And yes, it's pronounced "awful."

Chitterlings are intestines and from what I've read, they require at least an hour of cleaning and several hours of cooking to be safe to eat. I would look for a soul food restaurant if you want to try them. Don't know if you have those in PA, but we sure do in VA :)

I don't know of any soul food restaurants in my area but there are probably some in Pittsburgh. I don't want them bad enough to go looking for a restaurant, and besides, my husband would not eat anything from said restaurant. A few women who worked with me used to make them for holiday dinners. I asked for someone to bring a small taste in for me to try, but no one ever did. They might have thought I wasn't serious.

Back
Top Bottom