What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I am one of the few people I know who will eat almost anything. I mean, yes, I won't eat a companion animal (I know horsemeat may become legal in the US...and NO, I will not eat it) and bugs but everything else. I have eaten snails, chicken feet, chicken hearts, liver, tongue, sweet breads, etc. Of course some things I don't prefer and won't make at home but if they wind up on my plate, I will eat them. When I went for dim sum the other day they offered jellyfish which I never tried, if I wasn't so full, I was dying to try it.
P.S. LOVE Brussels sprouts when roasted with garlic and breadcrumbs.

A long time ago, I was invited to a BBQ in Montreal...featured sausages were HORSE MEAT. I could not consider eating those. One of the reasons I have boycotted products from China is because of the popularity of eating companion animals. I have a hard enough time eating chicken now that I have chickens. I am willing to try almost anything once--but I draw the line at companion animals. Some may argue horses are not companion animals, but they have had a special relationship with humans for hundreds of years...to me, they are in the same class as companion animals. A friend who has to cull her chicken and turkey flocks shared with me recently that the more feral they are, the easier it is on her heart when it comes time to cull the flocks...I guess since Harriet and Myrtle have both been inside the "Big Chickens'" house, they are SAFE!

Last edited:
When I was a kid, horsemeat was found in the freezer section sold as dog food. Then it disappeared. And some families bought it as meat for the family. Said to be very tasty. Don't want to find out.:chef:

My horse was a companion and co-worker. The best ever and we have the ribbons to prove it. She got out one summer and was hit by the dairy tanker, we had to put her down. It was very upsetting, not at all like sending cows and pigs to the butcher.

Most sea food
Old Ham
Blue, Feta or Goat Cheese
Garlic infused Turkey Dinner
Grilled leafy veggies
I am sure there is more, but this is the things that come to mind at the moment.

Any under cooked vegetable. I will only eat them either Raw or Fully Cooked, not inbetween. Not mushy, but cooked through.

Lima beans and offal. Send me your brussel sprouts! Bacon and balsamic can make almost anything taste good.

Craig

My horse was a companion and co-worker. The best ever and we have the ribbons to prove it. She got out one summer and was hit by the dairy tanker, we had to put her down. It was very upsetting, not at all like sending cows and pigs to the butcher.

I know what you mean. Having worked with 4H kids and their animals, I had one girl whose horse developed colic. She walked that horse for hours until the emergency was over. Most of the time she walked and cried. Sometimes her friends took over so she could get some rest. It doesn't matter what the animal is because it is not just a pet, but a member of the family. I also had one girl who delivered a pet calf and raised til it was time to sell it. It was a bull from a championship line. She got $10,000.00 dollars for it. The amount of money didn't lessen the tears that flowed. At least she knew it was not going to slaughter. Those were the only words of comfort I could offer her. :chef:

OMG, that was just....hideous.

Okay....I don't like many foods touching. I'll admit to that. I still have a divider plate that I use. Like in the train-wreck mentioned above, sausage MAY touch the pancakes...but I have to add syrup. Potatoes MAY touch the eggs. Bacon touches nothing. Eggs can touch toast too. Fruit topping on the sides. People who are like this immediately know the rules. Those who aren't, don't. If I get served foods breaking the rules, I eat the parts that do not touch. Yes, it makes me feel like I am six in not such a good way. :neutral:View attachment 12611

I am like that too. That is why I LOVE my little bowls. When I make a Cold Plate I use a Cake Plate. It is perfectly flat and my salad dressing doesn't run on my other food. View attachment 12610

Last edited:
I love shepherds pie, but would never make my own with the ingredients on my plate. It must be served as shepherds pie, not mixed together by me on my plate. In my family that was playing with your food.

Kathleen, do you eat peas, corn?
Is it OK to use other food as a "backstop" to help you get them onto your spoon or fork? Or are you a fork in one hand, knife in the other person? I've been known to use two pieces of flatware, but that is because I eat one thing at a time and veggies are last. There's nothing left to help them onto my sppon :angel:
And if you are ever in my area you might as well skip eating a big breakfast in a diner, as the bacon is typically layed across one or two other food items, :ermm:

I like peas and corn, but I usually eat them from their own bowl. I do not tend to use other foods as a backstop. The exception would be bread with a gravy. I don't tend to use the knife to backstop either as then it gets contaminated and therefore is unusable should I need to cut something with it. Like you, I have often found that I have eaten one thing at a time, but veggies are never last. :yum: I have rimmed plates so the rim can push things into the spoon in a pinch. :)

As for diners, I tip well so the server is rewarded for complying with the request of separate plates. I know it is a pain for them. I appreciate their effort!

Sometimes I use a bowl for my veggies, too, Kathleen. But that is because I have run out of room ;)

Sometimes I use a bowl for my veggies, too, Kathleen. But that is because I have run out of room ;)

I always use a salad plate for my meals. I only want small portions. When I eat in a restaurant, I get overwhelmed when my plate is piled high with food. I immediately lose my appetite. I don't like having to work for my meal. I ask for an empty plate and remove half of everything on my plate. I am also a very slow eater. By the time my plate is half empty, the rest are out on the side walk yelling "Taxi!" :ohmy:

chicken feet - i know some think its gourmet but seeing them on top of a plate of spegetti and meatball just isn't for me.

any raw fish - lima beans, pickled pigs feet,

I always use a salad plate for my meals. I only want small portions. When I eat in a restaurant, I get overwhelmed when my plate is piled high with food. I immediately lose my appetite. I don't like having to work for my meal. I ask for an empty plate and remove half of everything on my plate. I am also a very slow eater. By the time my plate is half empty, the rest are out on the side walk yelling "Taxi!" :ohmy:

I'm a slow eater, too. Shrek has learned to wait patiently, but not staring at me. Most of the time I just have them wrap what I haven't eaten, so he doesn't have to wait for me.

I am always the last one to finish eating, too, but I'm not exactly sure if eating slowly is the reason :angel:

lol, pac. i wouldn't be surprised if you used a salad fork and serving spoon to eat your dinners. if i ate that much good food i'd be 500 pounds.

I hear ya Tom, I eat a third of what most do and I'm still the last one to finish eating. I like to enjoy each bite and savor the flavor.

MY BIL can eat a platter of food in less than 5 minutes. I'm talking about one of those piled high breakfast platters. I can't even eat that much at a sitting and if I could, it would take me 45 minutes to do so.

Deliver me from rutabaga, halvah, raisins, cottage cheese, pepperoni, chitt'lin's, haggis, cilantro. there are a few more, but my mind is blank right now.

I would like to eat kiwi fruit, but it closes my throat, so I don't.

Back
Top Bottom