"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #421
Cupcake

Many practices are marketing successes. (We can thank Hallmark for several!) However, once they are adopted by a population and are then handed down from generation to generation - especially by word of mouth or practice - the practice becomes a "tradition" by definition. I've not run into this casserole anywhere else besides the USA (thankfully as I don't like most casseroles.) However, it WILL be on the table at Thanksgiving if I visit many a relative.

My mother reminds me yearly that I should have a red carnation (or poppy) pinned on me for Mother's Day and I am sure that she will visit me after she is gone if I do not have a white carnation pinned on me for that day. I suppose that I can thank a war-torn country, Julia Howe, and the florist industry for a life time of flower-wearing on the second Sunday in May. Without one, I shudder to think what may one day land on my plate.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #422
Chef Extraordinaire

it wouldn't be the day after thanksgiving if my leftover turkey, stuffing, and gravy sandwich didn't have some jellied pureed abomination on it.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #423
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
...Let's turn this into a real traditional food by losing the dependence on brand name products. I'm not willing to call anything a tradition as long as I have to buy products from one manufacturer. Instead I'd call that a marketing department success story.
So, using that logic, you wouldn't buy a Butterball turkey, you'd have to go hunt your own? No Ocean Spray cranberries, grow your own?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #424
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So, using that logic, you wouldn't buy a Butterball turkey, you'd have to go hunt your own? No Ocean Spray cranberries, grow your own?
I think Greg was talking more about using bottom shelf products instead of always picking from the top shelf.

The first time I made my own cranberry sauce, I was floored at how easy it was and how really good it was. I was used to the jellied crap from a can.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #425
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I think Greg was talking more about using bottom shelf products instead of always picking from the top shelf.

The first time I made my own cranberry sauce, I was floored at how easy it was and how really good it was. I was used to the jellied crap from a can.
I make my own too but still enjoy the canned.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #426
Master Chef

I agree with Andy and BT! Some days I feel like crap and some days I don't.

As far as the GB casserole being an American tradition, I think based on the definition of tradition, it has arrived.

Tradition - A belief, custom, story, or practice (etc.) handed down from generation to generation by word of mouth or demonstration.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #427
Head Chef

I don't know if it's exactly something that qualifies something as a "tradition," but GBC is at least something you can mention, and nearly everyone will say, "Oh, yeah. That." and will mean the canned soup/canned fired onions variety.

What else is there like that?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #428
Assistant Cook

See...GBC causing problems again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm not talking about eating weird creatures or things that can make you sick, but a real foodie will at least try something at least once that other people like them normally eat. and if it's made by someone you trust who says their version is good, maybe try something twice.
I completely agree. Once I've declared that I don't like something, I've always made it a point to try it again later down the road to see if my tastes have changed. I tried green beans again at my office Christmas party a few weeks ago....yeah, still dont like them but who's to say I won't like them when I'm 75? Always try it again.
Lil Ms Sueshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #429
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
So how can we make this recipe without buying brand name products? How do you make French's onions without getting it out of a can? Let's turn this into a real traditional food by losing the dependence on brand name products. I'm not willing to call anything a tradition as long as I have to buy products from one manufacturer. Instead I'd call that a marketing department success story.
Trader Joe's sells all of the components for gbc (all natural of course, their brand). Most stores also sell store brands of most of the components, I've even seen the onions in store brands other than Trader Joe's.

I've never made it, I don't like it, but for many it is a traditional dish on their holiday table.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #430
Certified Pretend Chef

GBC is readily fabricated from basic ingredients. If you can make cream of mushroom soup from scratch and fry up some onion rings, GBC is not that far away.

While that would taste really good, it wouldn't be the traditional recipe so it wouldn't be authentic.