"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #441
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i've only had cold elbow macaroni and tuna twice in my life and liked it both times.

one was on a skiing trip, the other time backpacking. both times i was so hungry that i would have eaten a shoe, so the tuna mac was delicious.

is the tuna noodle casserole that we're talking about the same thing? is it served hot or cold?

At my house cold elbow macaroni and tuna fish is called macaroni salad.

TNC is egg noodles, tuna, cream of mushroom soup mixed and topped with stale potato chip crumbs then baked.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #442
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I understand completely; me too. I will make an exception for stuff like Worcestershire sauce. It was one of the reasons I have made ketchup. Oh my, homemade ketchup is sooooo much better than the store bought stuff.
Just to make it clear, some of my recipes, even some of my favorites use branded ingredients, like for example Wright's Liquid Smoke. My favorite BBQ sauce recipe uses that. It's a family recipe. I'm not about to spend hours making my own liquid smoke. But I never feel that I entirely own a recipe until it looks like something that could found be in Joy of Cooking or Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Sorry, I think I've taken things way off topic.

I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell GBC on my plate.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #443
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i've only had cold elbow macaroni and tuna twice in my life and liked it both times.

one was on a skiing trip, the other time backpacking. both times i was so hungry that i would have eaten a shoe, so the tuna mac was delicious.

is the tuna noodle casserole that we're talking about the same thing? is it served hot or cold?
Hot. Cooked egg noodles (thick or thin, I like thin, DH prefers thick), tuna, celery, onion, cream of something soup, bit of mayo, dash of Worcerster, dash soy sauce, frozen baby peas, maybe some mushrooms and peppers, a few dashes hot sauce, ground black pepper, and (ta-dah!) small chunks of Velveeta!

Bake or nuke. Yummmm.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #444
Master Chef

GBC, TNC, CBHC, it's all good. I wasn't that picky eater in the grade, or high school cafeteria. I liked the fish sticks, the wierd pizza made with unseasoned tomato sauce, ground beef, and lots of cheese. I liked the comod's cheese, and the tuna casserole, and everything else they served. It was all made fresh and served hot. The bread was made fresh, on site, every day. The food was good. The milk was cheap.

That being said, I've seen what they put on the kids' plates in school cafeteria's now. It's all made in a central location and transported to the schools. My children ate far less apetizing food in their cafeterias than did I. Who can forget pigs-in-a-blanket, with freshly made bread dough wrapped aroudn a good hot dog, sealed at both ends, and baked to a perfect golden brown? Often, other kids would give me the food from their trays that they didn't like.

And in case you don't know what CBHC is, it's Corned Beef Hash Caserole. It's just like TNC, but with canned corned beef hash in place of the tuna. Yum.

And yes, I am an omnivore!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #445
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
TNC was one thing my grade school cafeteria made well, and we all loved it!

I now know what's for dinner tonight! I make a pretty good one. (oxymoron?)
In my grade school, Tuna Wiggle was a staple! It was also a staple in many households in Maine because it was cheap and easy to make. It was basically a white sauce with a can of drained tuna added and peas. You could season it the way you like, and serve it over saltine crackers. I never ate the stuff, never liked tuna.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #446
Executive Chef

I don't want to see Velveeta on my plate. Give me Gruyere instead!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #447
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
I don't want to see Velveeta on my plate. Give me Gruyere instead!
If I could find it here, I would not disagree! Dang, TNC with Gruyere. Mmmmmmm.

Ooh! Got some mediocre Costco blue cheese!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #448
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m. View Post
gbc is readily fabricated from basic ingredients. If you can make cream of mushroom soup from scratch and fry up some onion rings, gbc is not that far away.

While that would taste really good, it wouldn't be the traditional recipe so it wouldn't be authentic.

Attachment 12738
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #449
Sous Chef

My dad used to make "Macaroni and tuna". Milk poured over cooked macaroni, add a can of tuna, a pat of butter, and some salt and pepper. Serve hot. Everyone in my family seemed to like it, but it never did much for me.

I am a fan of hot milk poured over toast, with salt and pepper though lol. I think I liked dipping my toast in the macaroni and tuna milk than I did eating the meal itself
Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #450
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
GBC, TNC, CBHC, it's all good. I wasn't that picky eater in the grade, or high school cafeteria. I liked the fish sticks, the wierd pizza made with unseasoned tomato sauce, ground beef, and lots of cheese. I liked the comod's cheese, and the tuna casserole, and everything else they served. It was all made fresh and served hot. The bread was made fresh, on site, every day. The food was good. The milk was cheap.

That being said, I've seen what they put on the kids' plates in school cafeteria's now. It's all made in a central location and transported to the schools. My children ate far less apetizing food in their cafeterias than did I. Who can forget pigs-in-a-blanket, with freshly made bread dough wrapped aroudn a good hot dog, sealed at both ends, and baked to a perfect golden brown? Often, other kids would give me the food from their trays that they didn't like.

And in case you don't know what CBHC is, it's Corned Beef Hash Caserole. It's just like TNC, but with canned corned beef hash in place of the tuna. Yum.

And yes, I am an omnivore!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This post reminded me of my years in the California School System. The food was great!! It was all made on site. The thing I remember most was "Tuna Surprise". It was Tuna Salad baked inside of Whole Wheat Dough. I make that every once in while.Attachment 12739