What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't particularly like Okra, but I always put it in my vegetable soup. I don't know why, it just looks like it belongs there.

I do not care for jalapeños.

Jalapeños can be such an iffy pepper. It all depends on how many seeds and the ribs in them. If you are able to remove all the seeds and ribs, they are mild. But when you leave the seeds and ribs in you never know how much heat one of them is going to have. :angel:

I actually feel sorry for people who don't like liver because I feel that they are missing out on something really delicious. Greg, I put ketchup on it when I was a kid but never as an adult. And like Tattrat said, it has to be cooked properly. I have a friend who won't eat it because the one time her mother made it, it was like shoe leather. It wasn't cooked properly. I wouldn't have liked it either!

I know that everyone has a right to their own tastes. Maybe if I was more of a picky eater I wouldn't have this weight problem.

Raspberry, the only things I agree with on your list is raw fish/oysters (they are now saying don't ever eat them because of the bacteria they can contain), Bugs, and anything still showing it's face. Everything else I either like, or would at least try. I LOVE braunswauger. I like the one with the tan colored casing that resembles leather. It used to be Lugar, but it has passed hands a couple times.

Don't feel bad for us. We like not liking liver. ;) Although, I do like braunschweiger in a sandwich with mayo and crisp lettuce. It tastes nothing like straight liver.

I had an upstairs neighbor whose daughter had severe anemia. The doctor told her to cook some liver just above raw. The girl would chew it to death, but just refused to swallow it. Her mother felt fine with her doing this. At least she was getting the juices from the meat into her system. I have often wondered if the girl ever did learn to like liver. :angel:

I never considered liver to be meat. Meat to me is muscle tissue not offal. Heart is meat - liver, tripe, etc. aren't, in my book (nor does my book define them as edible).

Jalapeños can be such an iffy pepper. It all depends on how many seeds and the ribs in them. If you are able to remove all the seeds and ribs, they are mild. But when you leave the seeds and ribs in you never know how much heat one of them is going to have. :angel:

True that jalapenos can vary from very mild to "Holy Cow!!"

Since I moved to the Bahamas, I almost never see a jalapeno. We have goat peppers. (the local version of Habanero), and these little multicolored finger peppers, both of which make the hottest jalapeno seem mild.

Last edited:
I hate always hated English peas. The green little round ones. I have tried many times to like them, but I cannot.
However, I do like black eyed peas.

For the record. I love liver and onions, chicken livers and any liver pate' and will eat raw shellfish until it becomes a crime. Then I will just continue eating it anyway.

I hate always hated English peas. The green little round ones. I have tried many times to like them, but I cannot.
However, I do like black eyed peas.

For the record. I love liver and onions, chicken livers and any liver pate' and will eat raw shellfish until it becomes a crime. Then I will just continue eating it anyway.
Just being picky - black-eyed peas are actually beans. have you tried Madhur Jaffrey's recipe for black eyed beans and mushroom curry? Very mild and very yummy.

And what's not to like about petit pois picked fresh from the garden and podded while sitting on the back door step in the sunshine and eating the peas from every 4th pod - ahh, childhood memories. Or cooked a la Francais (braised with lettuce and bacon) or even cooked in boiling water and served with Aylesbury duck. Fresh green peas and by duck is almost extinct.

However, you can forget bought peas even when sold in the pod as they are usually several days (if not more) off the vine and starting to get dry and woody. Peas are one of the few veg that, if you can't grow your own, are better bought frozen than fresh.

Last edited:
Just being picky - black-eyed peas are actually beans. have you tried Madhur Jaffrey's recipe for black eyed beans and mushroom curry? Very mild and very yummy.

And what's not to like about petit pois picked fresh from the garden and podded while sitting on the back door step in the sunshine and eating the peas from every 4th pod - ahh, childhood memories. Or cooked a la Francais (braised with lettuce and bacon) or even cooked in boiling water and served with Aylesbury duck. Fresh green peas and by duck is almost extinct.

However, you can forget bought peas even when sold in the pod as they are usually several days (if not more) off the vine and starting to get dry and woody. Peas are one of the few veg that, if you can't grow your own, are better bought frozen than fresh.

It might be possible that is the reason I like them. (black eyed peas) They are beans not peas. :LOL:

I do agree that the reason I do not like peas is because of the cooking method and or presentation.
I use and eat peas used as decoration. But to eat a pile of peas on my plate reminds me of when I was a kid.
I actually vomited when forced to eat them.
This also might have some factor as to my distain for them.

How about a recipe for me to try? I am always willing to try anything at least twice in the words of Andrew Zimmern.

My 5 year old grandson goes into the garden and eats sugar snap peas right off the plant! He does not like them cooked, though. His parents are very healthy eaters and he has developed a wonderful diet. I guess that will change somewhat once he goes to school and sees the junk food other kids are eating. He has already started asking for Fruit Roll-Up that another child had in pre-school.

My 5 year old grandson goes into the garden and eats sugar snap peas right off the plant! He does not like them cooked, though. His parents are very healthy eaters and he has developed a wonderful diet. I guess that will change somewhat once he goes to school and sees the junk food other kids are eating. He has already started asking for Fruit Roll-Up that another child had in pre-school.

When we lived on the farm, we had a kitchen garden. When we were out playing and got hungry, we always went into the garden and ate green beans, peas, and any other veggie that was ready to eat. Even baby ears of corn. Got thirsty? Drank right from the hose. Very rarely did we go in the house for lunch.

Sometimes we would even take a nap under the big oak tree right next to the barn. The only time I went into the house in the summer was during canning time. I had to help. :angel:

When we lived on the farm, we had a kitchen garden. When we were out playing and got hungry, we always went into the garden and ate green beans, peas, and any other veggie that was ready to eat. Even baby ears of corn. Got thirsty? Drank right from the hose. Very rarely did we go in the house for lunch.

Sometimes we would even take a nap under the big oak tree right next to the barn. The only time I went into the house in the summer was during canning time. I had to help. :angel:

I would put off going into the house because I was afraid my mother would make me stay in. Why she would want me in there to pester her is beyond me!

It might be possible that is the reason I like them. (black eyed peas) They are beans not peas. :LOL:

I do agree that the reason I do not like peas is because of the cooking method and or presentation.
I use and eat peas used as decoration. But to eat a pile of peas on my plate reminds me of when I was a kid.
I actually vomited when forced to eat them.
This also might have some factor as to my distain for them.

How about a recipe for me to try? I am always willing to try anything at least twice in the words of Andrew Zimmern.
Ahh, I can see what you mean. If they were starchy and boiled to death when you were force fed them I can see why you hate them

Ahh, I can see what you mean. If they were starchy and boiled to death when you were force fed them I can see why you hate them

My husband likes canned peas. To me, those are mushy. I like frozen peas, cooking really just heats them up, and they are a little crunchy.

My husband likes canned peas. To me, those are mushy. I like frozen peas, cooking really just heats them up, and they are a little crunchy.

I like both. But they have to be the petite ones. I have a bag of petites in the freezer. I think next month when I buy my beets, I will try using the frozen ones instead of the canned ones. I used to eat them frozen by the handful. :angel:

A fond childhood memory is of a roast pork dinner with roasted potatoes and canned Del Monte peas for the veggie. The sweet mushiness of those peas was what made that meal for me.

My sweet peas keep falling of my fork nowadays. Partly due to aging and partly due to the low living room coffee table I eat my meals on. I move some peas into the mashed potatoes now so I don't have to pick them up off the floor. :neutral:

Frozen Peas beat canned in my book. :rolleyes:

I always have them in my freezer. They seem to have many uses.

I just defrost them and they go great in a salad. :yum:

And Taters just aren't the same without peas. The two just seem to go together.

How can you not mix a few peas in with the mashed taters? ;)

I like crispy skins on baked taters and tossing some crisp peas into the skin with a bit of S&P and butter is heaven to me.

Sort of a tater & Pea sandwich.:chef:

Brings to mind a saying my dad used to tell us when we were kids...

" I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life, it makes the peas taste funny but it keeps them on my knife" : )

For dinner tonight I just had a bowl of native Bahamian peas soup (yes, that's how they spell it). Not a green pea to be seen... it's made with pigeon peas, cabbage, onion, carrot and few other things - the stock is made with a ham bone. And index finger sized dumplings - plus a side of stuffed breadfruit - yum. :chef:

Brings to mind a saying my dad used to tell us when we were kids...

" I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life, it makes the peas taste funny but it keeps them on my knife" : )

I had a book called "Silly Rhymes" and that one was in it.

"As I was standing in the street,
As happy as could be,
A great big, ugly man came up
And tied his horse to me."

Back
Top Bottom