"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #471
Chef Extraordinaire

Canned tuna is another one of those foods I don't want to eat...but I'd try the recipe with chicken, oops, no, maybe turkey?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #472
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Well I'd leave out the Velveeta and the macaroni if I made it.

Then add some butter and garlic and shallots (to my shrimp, raw this time, and saute it), a bit of wine and a squeeze of lemon and that's something I'd want to see on my plate!

And still call it Macaroni and Cheese??

Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #473
Master Chef

I love tuna casserole.

There are more, but what first came to mind are liver and okra.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #474
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's a good thing some folks don't like what we like...more for us!

I don't want to see Rocky Mountain Oysters on my plate.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #475
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's a good thing some folks don't like what we like...more for us!

I don't want to see Rocky Mountain Oysters on my plate.

and what are they?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #476
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
and what are they?
I'll let PF answer that question...those were quite popular at beer keggers when I lived in North Dakota--deep fried.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #477
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree, the Campbell's/French's green bean casserole not being a real American tradition, except of course in the minds of Campbell marketing executives. I've made it 2-3 times for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and thought it quite good, but I suspect I'd get tired of it if I cooked it often. I think it would be a good casserole to cook when you're cooking a large complicated holiday dinner by yourself and want to simplify your job so that you don't have to spend the entire day on your feet cooking. Most of us would rather have time to visit with our company and family while we're cooking our holiday dinner.

I've often thought that recipes that require a specific name brand or a manufacturer's unique product aren't real recipes, although I've got a few recipes exactly like that. I don't feel good about a recipe until I've formulated it using nothing but basic generic ingredients.
I know that one year I made potato salad for a party. In order to decorate the bowl of potato salad, I took some not to thick/not to thin sliced onions, dredged them in seasoned flour with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, sauteed them in a small amount of oil and spread them around the bottom edge of the pile of salad. They were a big hit. The next time I did the same thing only I made even more of them. I thought the flour mixture would fall off in the cooking. But enough natural liquid was released from the onion to cause the flour to cling to the onion ring. The secret was to do the onions on a low medium heat giving the liquid time to release and don't disturb them while they are cooking at first. Then you can turn them over. They should be golden brown. And in the time it takes for the flour mixture to brown, it has had time to cook the rawness out of it. Works for me.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #478
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
and what are they?
Calf testicles, Vit.

I was one of the kids that had to wrestle them down so they could be castrated when I worked on my Uncle's Dairy farm. Not my most favorite job. But Shrek knows about it and it keeps him in line...
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #479
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know that one year I made potato salad for a party. In order to decorate the bowl of potato salad, I took some not to thick/not to thin sliced onions, dredged them in seasoned flour with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, sauteed them in a small amount of oil and spread them around the bottom edge of the pile of salad. They were a big hit. The next time I did the same thing only I made even more of them. I thought the flour mixture would fall off in the cooking. But enough natural liquid was released from the onion to cause the flour to cling to the onion ring. The secret was to do the onions on a low medium heat giving the liquid time to release and don't disturb them while they are cooking at first. Then you can turn them over. They should be golden brown. And in the time it takes for the flour mixture to brown, it has had time to cook the rawness out of it. Works for me.
Cool Addie, thanks for the description...I'm going to try this.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #480
Sous Chef

Generic/Off Brand

Quote:
So how can we make this recipe without buying brand name products? How do you make French's onions without getting it out of a can? Let's turn this into a real traditional food by losing the dependence on brand name products. I'm not willing to call anything a tradition as long as I have to buy products from one manufacturer. Instead I'd call that a marketing department success story.
I've seen off brands of both the soup and onions not Campbells/French's. If I make GBC I use C/F because I am familiar with the quality.
What I hate to see on anyones plate is the gloopy jello, marshmellow & fruit salad.