"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #481
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Calf testicles, Vit.

I was one of the kids that had to wrestle them down so they could be castrated when I worked on my Uncle's Dairy farm. Not my most favorite job. But Shrek knows about it and it keeps him in line...

oh pf, i think it's time we "table" this whole rocky mountain oyster subject...
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #482
Sous Chef
 
JGDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 540
OH, BTW I use mostly Velveeta in my Mac & Cheese. The few times I made it with individual cheeses it didn't go over as well. My EE husband had a job interview with Kraft in Illinois and got a tour of the processing machines. He saw Velveeta and Cheese Whiz boxes as far as the eye could see. The HR guy told him the products came about as a way to use the end pieces of Swiss, Cheddar etc. that weren't standard size. So, technically it is "real" cheese.
__________________

__________________
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #483
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
OH, BTW I use mostly Velveeta in my Mac & Cheese. The few times I made it with individual cheeses it didn't go over as well. My EE husband had a job interview with Kraft in Illinois and got a tour of the processing machines. He saw Velveeta and Cheese Whiz boxes as far as the eye could see. The HR guy told him the products came about as a way to use the end pieces of Swiss, Cheddar etc. that weren't standard size. So, technically it is "real" cheese.
That was originally true. I remember reading the cheeses listed in the ingredient listing on the box, and recreating the product at home, just to see if I could do it. Read the ingredient listing now. Cheese is not in the list. It doesn't taste the same as it did when I was in my twenties either.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #484
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
That was originally true. I remember reading the cheeses listed in the ingredient listing on the box, and recreating the product at home, just to see if I could do it. Read the ingredient listing now. Cheese is not in the list. It doesn't taste the same as it did when I was in my twenties either.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I never by any product that says 'cheese product', 'processed cheese', 'cheese food' or anything that doesn't say "Cheese." Just Cheese!! And my favorite cheese has to come from Cabot's in Vermont. I have been fortunate enough to get my hands on their Reserved Extra Sharp Cheese. It is hard to find.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #485
Sous Chef
 
JGDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 540
Oh my... I just looked....
__________________
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #486
Sous Chef
 
JGDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 540
Cabot's does make good cheese. The Habanero Cheddar is one of my favorites. The Chipolte Cheddar is good for cooking.
__________________
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #487
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I never by any product that says 'cheese product', 'processed cheese', 'cheese food' or anything that doesn't say "Cheese." Just Cheese!! And my favorite cheese has to come from Cabot's in Vermont. I have been fortunate enough to get my hands on their Reserved Extra Sharp Cheese. It is hard to find.
The whole foods type store here gets the Cabot's Reserved Extra Sharp in a "snack pack." I take that to work with me! Yum!!! I let it warm up before eating it.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #488
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The whole foods type store here gets the Cabot's Reserved Extra Sharp in a "snack pack." I take that to work with me! Yum!!! I let it warm up before eating it.
Anytime I see a cheese that says "Reserved" I snatch it right up. It is always so creamy, regardless of how sharp it may be and melts right in your mouth.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #489
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cool Addie, thanks for the description...I'm going to try this.
I put the flour mixture in a ziplock or small brown bag, place a few rings in it and shake before frying them. And do't forget to separate the rings. Sounds like you would know that. But I had one person who didn't and couldn't understand why they didn't come out like mine. I rolled my eyes so hard, I thought they were going to stay up in my head!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #490
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I put the flour mixture in a ziplock or small brown bag, place a few rings in it and shake before frying them. And do't forget to separate the rings. Sounds like you would know that. But I had one person who didn't and couldn't understand why they didn't come out like mine. I rolled my eyes so hard, I thought they were going to stay up in my head!
Some people don't think things through...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.