"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #41
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I like liver, but only if I cook it. Then I know it's done right.
I know what you mean. I'd trust you to cook liver for me. :)

Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #42
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Here is what Kathleen doesn't want to see on her plate. Eggs, bacon, pancakes with fruit topping, sausage and potatoes... all touching.
OMG, that was just....hideous.

Okay....I don't like many foods touching. I'll admit to that. I still have a divider plate that I use. Like in the train-wreck mentioned above, sausage MAY touch the pancakes...but I have to add syrup. Potatoes MAY touch the eggs. Bacon touches nothing. Eggs can touch toast too. Fruit topping on the sides. People who are like this immediately know the rules. Those who aren't, don't. If I get served foods breaking the rules, I eat the parts that do not touch. Yes, it makes me feel like I am six in not such a good way.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Okay....I don't like many foods touching. I'll admit to that. I still have a divider plate that I use. Like in the train-wreck mentioned above, sausage MAY touch the pancakes...but I have to add syrup. Potatoes MAY touch the eggs. Bacon touches nothing. Eggs can touch toast too. Fruit topping on the sides. People who are like this immediately know the rules. Those who aren't, don't. If I get served foods breaking the rules, I eat the parts that do not touch. Yes, it makes me feel like I am six in not such a good way.
NOW we understand the allure of Bento!

Liver, onions and bacon!!! Stroke meal if you ever had one. The liver is triple dredged in flour, S&P.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

I have food touching rules as well. Runny things need to be contained in their own bowl. Gravy can touch the meat and potatoes, and stuffing, but it can't touch the sweet potato, cranberry etc. I will often eat those two things separately. Cole slaw running all in my fried chicken is a no go! Cranberry stained potatoes, heck no!

In a restaurant, I will often have small bits of food left on the plate that are "contaminated". I too feel silly about this, but just don't want to eat them. When people mix together their entire plate and just shovel it in, I just look away... Don't even get me started on shepard's pie!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
You're unlikely to find octopus on my plate, unless someone else puts it there. I'll eat it, but won't take it willingly. Just doesn't do it for me. But I really don't think there's anything in the way of food that I absolutely won't eat. I may eat it to be polite or because that's all there is, but I'll eat it. Oh, yeah. I won't eat one of those fried whole onion "flowers," even to be polite. Too greasy. Otherwise, I take the attitude that it hasn't killed the locals and probably won't kill me. I'm far more leery of badly done food than any particular food.
Quote:

i am sorry, kathleen, for the obstacles dining out must present for you. eating a meal should not be like traversing a minefield...i applaud you for your unflagging foodie perseverance and spirit despite those obstacles....
Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #46
Cupcake

Quote:
NOW we understand the allure of Bento!

Liver, onions and bacon!!! Stroke meal if you ever had one. The liver is triple dredged in flour, S&P.
Yep! Bento makes it all okay.

And agreed about the liver and onions though bacon is optional for me. I like it made that way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have food touching rules as well. Runny things need to be contained in their own bowl. Gravy can touch the meat and potatoes, and stuffing, but it can't touch the sweet potato, cranberry etc. I will often eat those two things separately. Cole slaw running all in my fried chicken is a no go! Cranberry stained potatoes, heck no!

In a restaurant, I will often have small bits of food left on the plate that are "contaminated". I too feel silly about this, but just don't want to eat them. When people mix together their entire plate and just shovel it in, I just look away... Don't even get me started on shepard's pie!
You know the rules! Seriously! I agree with all of your rules. I cannot even start to consider Shepard's Pie. I'm trying to think if there is a "rule" that it doesn't break. Veggies in gravy would be my start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i am sorry, kathleen, for the obstacles dining out must present for you. eating a meal should not be like traversing a minefield...i applaud you for your unflagging foodie perseverance and spirit despite those obstacles....
Dining out at a restaurant is a cake-walk. "Please put everything on a separate plate." Dinner with friends is easy to. "You know how I am with that." Mandatory fun with social acquaintances - especially work-related social acquaintances - is where it is problematic. "Wow....look at that! You put a JELLO cube in the center of the mashed potatoes where butter is usually found. How creative." Fortunately, I'm not big on dinner bread so can often mine it free and stash it in a dinner roll. The roll then acts as a dam for the rest of the dinner concerns. I sincerely do try to be a gracious dinner guest...and I try to pay attention to what my guests like and dislike so that I can be a gracious hostess. Also I tend to ensure there is a basket of rolls somewhere on the table.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

memo to self: Toast fingers for Kathleen, so she can divide her plate.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #48
Cupcake

Quote:
memo to self: Toast fingers for Kathleen, so she can divide her plate.
WIN! Toast soldiers have often been called to "stand guard."

Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
WIN! Toast soldiers have often been called to "stand guard."

I was playing attenshun!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
cabbage rolls