"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #501
Master Chef

This is my first post on this very long thread, as there really is little within reason that I can't tolerate on my plate, including fried Mountain Oysters.

I was reminded last night while fixing a typical British dinner, of a food item that I will never again see on my plate. Has anyone ever had "Mushy Peas"? In my opinion they are the most foul of any vegetable known to man, and yet millions upon millions of Brits will claim I have no idea what I'm talking about. naaaaaaaaassssty

Mushy peas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #502
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This is my first post on this very long thread, as there really is little within reason that I can't tolerate on my plate, including fried Mountain Oysters.

I was reminded last night while fixing a typical British dinner, of a food item that I will never again see on my plate. Has anyone ever had "Mushy Peas"? In my opinion they are the most foul of any vegetable known to man, and yet millions upon millions of Brits will claim I have no idea what I'm talking about. naaaaaaaaassssty

Do they taste like peas or like something else? Pea soup is popular here in the USA. I wonder if they taste similar?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #503
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I was reminded last night while fixing a typical British dinner, of a food item that I will never again see on my plate. Has anyone ever had "Mushy Peas"?
I think I can top that although I've never had this so not sure. Just read the description for Poutine (Canadian dish).

I'm pretty sure I don't want to see Mushy Peas or Poutine on my plate.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #504
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I think I can top that although I've never had this so not sure. Just read the description for Poutine (Canadian dish).

I'm pretty sure I don't want to see Mushy Peas or Poutine on my plate.
French Fries with brown gravy and farmers cheese? I would try that!

Sounds pretty good to me!

But then, I'll eat almost anything...
Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #505
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle

They sound disgusting! Though I love pea soup....
Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #506
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
French Fries with brown gravy and farmers cheese? I would try that!

Sounds pretty good to me!

But then, I'll eat almost anything...
Fresh cheese curds are better than farmer's cheese on poutine. I love to make it with turkey giblet gravy, left over turkey, and fresh white cheddar curds....yum-yum. I believe they are called Jersey fries in the states/New Jersey. I also make poutine with salsa (warmed up) and curds...topped with freshly chopped hot peppers. It seems to me a chef from Montreal won Iron Chef or Chopped with his lobster poutine. When I first moved to Canada, I thought "yuck" but then I tried poutine (there wasn't anything else--we were at a poutine place en route from NB to Quebec City, I was hungry). I was hooked! That was almost 30 years' ago.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #507
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Fresh cheese curds are better than farmer's cheese on poutine. I love to make it with turkey giblet gravy, left over turkey, and fresh white cheddar curds....yum-yum. I believe they are called Jersey fries in the states/New Jersey. I also make poutine with salsa (warmed up) and curds...topped with freshly chopped hot peppers. It seems to me a chef from Montreal won Iron Chef or Chopped with his lobster poutine. When I first moved to Canada, I thought "yuck" but then I tried poutine (there wasn't anything else--we were at a poutine place en route from NB to Quebec City, I was hungry). I was hooked! That was almost 30 years' ago.
Oh, you had the original, real stuff, before it got popular in Montreal. It was eaten in small places all over Quebec way before it hit Montreal. Do you remember where you had it? I had my first poutine in or near Rivière du Loup. I was hooked too.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #508
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Do they taste like peas or like something else? Pea soup is popular here in the USA. I wonder if they taste similar?
Timothy and Dawg, while I really enjoy split pea soup, and steamed baby peas are quite nice, the taste of Mushy Peas is nothing like either one. They are Marrofat peas that are green mature (ie OLD) peas that have been allowed to dry out naturally in the field, rather than be harvested in their prime of youth like the normal garden pea we all know.
I think for that reason the pea flavor is super strong and the "mushy" nasty paste is somewhat like glue. It's really disgusting like nothing else.
I hope I haven't offended our British friends.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #509
Sous Chef

Quote:

Timothy and Dawg, while I really enjoy split pea soup, and steamed baby peas are quite nice, the taste of Mushy Peas nothing like either one. They are Marrofat peas that are green mature (ie OLD) peas that have been allowed to dry out naturally in the field, rather than be harvested in their prime of youth like the normal garden pea we all know.
I think for that reason the pea flavor is super strong and the "mushy" nasty paste is somewhat like glue, It's really disgusting like nothing else.
I grew up with my grandma's garden, and I can attest to the strong flavor of the peas that were allowed to grow too large. When I first read the description, it sounded pretty good, but imagining it with these too mature, bitter, old peas.... Yuck!!

Today one of my customers put lemon and tobasco sauce in his water. Wouldn't want to see that anywhere near my plate...
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #510
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Timothy and Dawg, while I really enjoy split pea soup, and steamed baby peas are quite nice, the taste of Mushy Peas is nothing like either one. They are Marrofat peas that are green mature (ie OLD) peas that have been allowed to dry out naturally in the field, rather than be harvested in their prime of youth like the normal garden pea we all know.
I think for that reason the pea flavor is super strong and the "mushy" nasty paste is somewhat like glue. It's really disgusting like nothing else.
Blech. Spit spit. (gargling with dish soap).

Dang, Kayelle, that does sound nasty!