"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #521
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Alix and Timothy, I'd love to dine with either of you. I'm somewhat unused to discussing cooking with real, enthusiastic chefs. That's one of the best things that I got out of this forum, being able to discuss cooking with fellow enthusiasts. At present I have only one friend who is an ardent chef, and all the rest of the people I know are either foodies, non-foodies, and none of them but one are chefs at all. I sometimes think that I'm the only chef/cook out there, just thankful that many of my friends are foodies even though they are not interested in cooking.

People who enjoy cooking are rare in life if my experience is any indication. Barring professional chefs most people divide into either foodies or gourmands, and few if any of them have any interest at the stove. Me and thee excepted of course!
Thank you Greg. I would love to make sushi for you. I can make any type of recipe. I follow recipes very well and know how to perform the various tasks needed to be a competent cook. I've had only a very few of my meals turn out badly.

I love to cook and quite often dedicate an entire day on one meal, between marketing for it, preparing and cooking it and of course the eating of it.

I find it to be one of the most relaxing things in the world to do. Time passes so quickly for me when I'm making something that has a high degree of difficulty.

I can't wait for my new kitchen to be built. That part of my renovations is scheduled to happen towards the end of next summer.

I certainly hope so. I'm sick of cooking in 4 square feet of space and having no real oven.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #522
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Do I love cooking? My wife gave up on cooking early in our marriage as I was always pestering her to try this, and change that, and add a bit of this, to her already good recipes. She threw up her hands one day and said, "That's it. I quit. The kitchen is yours." I've been the chef in my house ever since (chef means chief of the kitchen, and in my house, that's me.).
I retired my wife from cooking as a matter of self-preservation. I dared not suggest recipes to her. The ones she had "mastered" were quite enough. I threw up my hands one day and said, "That's it. You're out. The kitchen is mine." I'm the chief in the kitchen, and there are no Indians.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #523
Chef Extraordinaire

i was talking to my wife the other day about how good her dinner was and how good of a cook she's become, and she made a comment about always having been a good cook.

so i reminded her that i taught her how to cook many things, including meatballs, steaks, roast chicken, stir fry, and so on.

she rebutted with the fact that she taught me how to drive stick in her old prelude, and that i almost destroyed it's manual transmission before i finally got it. i quickly remembered the battle over it.

lol, i should have just left her alone with her original thoughts about cooking.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #524
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I first entered the world of cooking at the tender age of 4 years...
My story is somewhat like yours, although not as complex. I used to like watching my mother cook when I was a child. At about 15 I saw the cover of Sunset's Favorite Recipes showing a beef pot pie (family size). I already knew how to make pie crusts because I'd make cinnamon cookies the same way, so I got permission and made the beef pot pie, and it came out fine. I've been cooking ever since. I've almost never had a bad outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I find it to be one of the most relaxing things in the world to do. Time passes so quickly for me when I'm making something that has a high degree of difficulty.
That's why I like to cook, because it relaxes me. Secondary motivation is that I can customize what I cook to my liking, that I can be much more comfortable eating at home than a restaurant, and it's all around less hassle to just cook my favorite stuff and eat at my own dining table. I really enjoy learning new things, finding new recipes, and developing my own original recipes. Cooking can be very creative and gives a lot of satisfaction of achievement.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #525
Executive Chef

I don't know why it took me this long to come up with this, maybe we already discussed this.

I don't want to find dog on my plate. (ew! yech!!!)
Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #526
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I don't know why it took me this long to come up with this, maybe we already discussed this.

I don't want to find dog on my plate. (ew! yech!!!)
When I lived in Hawaii It was common knowledge to not let your dog run loose. 'Nuf said!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #527
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I lived in Hawaii It was common knowledge to not let your dog run loose. 'Nuf said!
One of the many reasons I don't buy products manufactured in China--a newspaper story I was sent years ago about how St. Bernards reported they were "fattened up" for slaughtered. And because of their "fast" growth rate, Saints were considered an ideal breed for eating. The breed was developed to have a strong sense of smell and the ability to find people. The breed was also developed to be man's friend. Being involved with St. Bernard rescue, it made me sick (physically) and broke my heart. The first Saint rescued had heartworm. He cried like a baby following his treatments if s/one was not sitting with him and holding his head. He died in my arms on February 15, 2007. I miss him still. He was such a clown.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #528
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
One of the many reasons I don't buy products manufactured in China--a newspaper story I was sent years ago about how St. Bernards reported they were "fattened up" for slaughtered. And because of their "fast" growth rate, Saints were considered an ideal breed for eating. The breed was developed to have a strong sense of smell and the ability to find people. The breed was also developed to be man's friend. Being involved with St. Bernard rescue, it made me sick (physically) and broke my heart. The first Saint rescued had heartworm. He cried like a baby following his treatments if s/one was not sitting with him and holding his head. He died in my arms on February 15, 2007. I miss him still. He was such a clown.
Dog meat is a common food throughout Asia. You will see dogs kept in cages in marketplaces.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #529
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Dog meat is a common food throughout Asia. You will see dogs kept in cages in marketplaces.
Before we all go off on a "OMG, they eat dogs in Asia" thing, lets remember that as disgusting as that is to us, the cow is held sacred to the Hindus. I don't mean that they give "lip service" to holding the cow as a sacred animal, they really do. To murder and eat a cow is just as disgusting to all 900 Million of the Hindus in our world.

Yet, in the Hindus eyes, we murder 13,670,000 TONS of beef cattle each year in just the USA.

Who are we to look down upon anyone for eating dogs or anything else?

It's literally the perspective from which you view the world.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #530
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Before we all go off on a "OMG, they eat dogs in Asia" thing, lets remember that as disgusting as that is to us, the cow is held sacred to the Hindus. I don't mean that they give "lip service" to holding the cow as a sacred animal, they really do. To murder and eat a cow is just as disgusting to all 900 Million of the Hindus in our world.

Yet, in the Hindus eyes, we murder 13,670,000 TONS of beef cattle each year in just the USA.

Who are we to look down upon anyone for eating dogs or anything else?

It's literally the perspective from which you view the world.
I have to agree with you Tim. I got used to the idea when I lived in Hawaii. It wasn't for my palate, but then neither are ants or grasshoppers.