"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #611
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh, c'mon addie. you're not old.
Well close to it. My sister died when she was 74. So now my kids have me in a contest with her. They want me to live to 75. I don't know how this rivalry with her kids cam about, but I wish it would end. Only three years to go. I didn't even expect to make it to 72. But I am working on that 75. Then I will start to get old.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #612
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
My youngest son made the best butter spread using sun dried tomatoes and some spices. I loved it, it was addictive, you kept wanting more. But sad to say he has lost the recipe. He has looked on the internet but can't find the right one. Bummer.
I forgot to add that he also put in some cream cheese.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #613
Head Chef

Sounds like a case for repeated experimentation and the obligatory eating of the test results.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #614
Sous Chef

I've discovered I don't want to see Brie cheese on my plate. I tried a free sample of it on a cracker at the grocery store, and thought it was good, but when I tried it on a cracker at home, all I could taste was this gross musty flavor!! So I tried it with fruit preserves on a cracker, and I could still taste it over the fruit. I'm about ready to chuck it in the garbage. Not sure I want to eat something I have to try to cover up the flavor. I would be willing to try it one more time to see if I just don't have the right combo. Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #615
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I've discovered I don't want to see Brie cheese on my plate. I tried a free sample of it on a cracker at the grocery store, and thought it was good, but when I tried it on a cracker at home, all I could taste was this gross musty flavor!! So I tried it with fruit preserves on a cracker, and I could still taste it over the fruit. I'm about ready to chuck it in the garbage. Not sure I want to eat something I have to try to cover up the flavor. I would be willing to try it one more time to see if I just don't have the right combo. Any suggestions?
My DH says that both Camembert and Brie have a slight mushroom flavour. I don't notice that. Is that the musty flavour you mean?

How ripe it is makes a huge difference. I find that overripe Brie has a slightly ammonia smell. Under-ripe and it's a bit sour.

I like a slightly too ripe Camembert or Brie with strawberry jam. If it is perfectly ripe, I just want it with butter or plain.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #616
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sounds like you got some of the skim covering from the top of the cheese. No wonder you weren't crazy about it. Try scooping some out from the very middle. If you still get the same results, find someone who likes it or toss it.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #617
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

Sounds like you got some of the skim covering from the top of the cheese. No wonder you weren't crazy about it. Try scooping some out from the very middle. If you still get the same results, find someone who likes it or toss it.
Thanks :) I actually used a wire cheese cutter to cut the rind off, and I'm pretty sure (especially the second time I tried it) that I didn't get any of the rind. Maybe I'll make up a cheese and cracker plate for me and my bf and see if he likes it. If not, there isn't that much left so I won't feel bad about tossing cheese that neither of us likes lol

Taxlady, I think you might be right that it is over-ripe. I'm sure at the store the cheese they cut up for samples was perfectly ripe. What a waste of perfectly good crackers!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #618
Executive Chef

Here's my Brie recipe:

Toast some almond slices in a pan using butter as the fat. Reserve the toasted almond slices on a few paper towels to absorb any grease/fat.

Sprinkle the toasted almond slices over your Brie on a serving plate, then nuke it all until the Brie is softened.

Serve with suitable crackers.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #619
Chef Extraordinaire

cut off the top of the rind, wrap the brie in foil, bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until it's gooey, serve on a bed of raspberry preserves with crackers or crusty bread and eat it like a raclette. yum!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #620
Executive Chef

Quote:
i'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but it's a "musty" flavor that i like so much about brie. for me, the rind is the tastiest part of this and many other cheeses....