"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #641
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,871
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Gravlaks. A friend of mine (who happens to be from Greenland), makes excellent Gravlaks. I like mine with lots of fresh dill, so besides the salmon, I need to be able to get fresh dill as well. TL--is there a type of salmon you prefer (Atlantic vs. Pacific vs. Alaskan)? This is on my 2012 Bucket list--to make gravlaks. I've been nervous about doing so because I question the freshness of the salmon available. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gravlaks.
Every "authentic" recipe I have every seen for gravad laks includes a lot of fresh dill.

Atlantic salmon. I have never tried Alaskan, but isn't that Pacific? I don't think it really makes a huge difference, as long as the fish is fresh enough.

I'm going to try an experiment. I have some HighLiner frozen, boneless, wild, Pacific salmon fillets. I'm going to use frozen dill and put the whole thing in the fridge frozen and let it thaw in the marinade. I'm not sure if I want to use vodka, brandy, akvavit, or lemon juice, probably not akvavit, 'cause I'd rather drink that.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #642
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Well, it seems like everyone except me has made or eaten gravad laks.

My next trip to the store, I"ll have to pick up the ingredients for it.

I can hardly wait to try it!
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #643
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Gravlaks. A friend of mine (who happens to be from Greenland), makes excellent Gravlaks. I like mine with lots of fresh dill, so besides the salmon, I need to be able to get fresh dill as well. TL--is there a type of salmon you prefer (Atlantic vs. Pacific vs. Alaskan)? This is on my 2012 Bucket list--to make gravlaks. I've been nervous about doing so because I question the freshness of the salmon available. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gravlaks.
Did you know that the Atlantic salmon do not return to the place of birth to reproduce and then die? They do not die. They return to the ocean.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #644
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
I LOVE salmon! Raw, smoked, or grilled. Yum!! And trout.
__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #645
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I LOVE salmon! Raw, smoked, or grilled. Yum!! And trout.
Canned Salmon was one of the things that was on our supper table 3 times a week when I was a kid. I got so burnt out on it. That was always cooked Salmon. Then, I was introduced to sushi. Both regular raw salmon and smoked salmon are like treats to me. I'm really looking forward to trying this gravlax. If it's as good on sushi as I think it will be by all of your descriptions of it, then it will become a staple in my house.

After curing it, rinsing it and rewrapping it, how long should it last in the fridge? My fridge is at 36F.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #646
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Every "authentic" recipe I have every seen for gravad laks includes a lot of fresh dill.

Atlantic salmon. I have never tried Alaskan, but isn't that Pacific? I don't think it really makes a huge difference, as long as the fish is fresh enough.

I'm going to try an experiment. I have some HighLiner frozen, boneless, wild, Pacific salmon fillets. I'm going to use frozen dill and put the whole thing in the fridge frozen and let it thaw in the marinade. I'm not sure if I want to use vodka, brandy, akvavit, or lemon juice, probably not akvavit, 'cause I'd rather drink that.
You and me both (re: akvavit)! Let me know how that works. My friend lives in St. Lazare....I'll email him and ask him where he gets the salmon.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #647
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
yams, rutabaga, okra, raw bananas. it's primarily a texture problem with the okra and the bananas....
just a quick update: strike 'yams' off my list, I like them fine now. only I call them sweet potatoes, and don't combine them with marshmallows....

...and just to be fair, lets give rutabagas a pass too. actually, I can't even recall the last rutabaga encounter I had. it's entirely possible I've never even eaten a rutabaga. don't know what it's doing on my list of inedibles--sorry, rutabagas.

hmm, that leaves raw bananas. now, that's gonna be a tough one....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #648
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
just a quick update: strike 'yams' off my list, I like them fine now. only I call them sweet potatoes, and don't combine them with marshmallows....

...and just to be fair, lets give rutabagas a pass too. actually, I can't even recall the last rutabaga encounter I had. it's entirely possible I've never even eaten a rutabaga. don't know what it's doing on my list of inedibles--sorry, rutabagas.

hmm, that leaves raw bananas. now, that's gonna be a tough one....
What about turnips? Almost the same flavor as a rutabaga. I love the taste of either one. Wouldn't be a true New England boiled dinner without them.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #649
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Did you know that the Atlantic salmon do not return to the place of birth to reproduce and then die? They do not die. They return to the ocean.
That depends on the species of Salmon migrating inland from the atlantic. If we are talking about the species - Atlantic Salmon, you are correct. But if we are talking Chinook/King Salmon, they die after spawning in the Great Lakes tributaries. I think pinks also return to the sea, as do coho. So, some salmon from the Atlantic do spawn and die.

In addition, we have rainbow trout from the Great lakes that go to see, and return every year to spawn. Those that do are called steelhead. If they stay in fresh water, they remain rainbow trout.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #650
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,871
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
That depends on the species of Salmon migrating inland from the atlantic. If we are talking about the species - Atlantic Salmon, you are correct. But if we are talking Chinook/King Salmon, they die after spawning in the Great Lakes tributaries. I think pinks also return to the sea, as do coho. So, some salmon from the Atlantic do spawn and die.

In addition, we have rainbow trout from the Great lakes that go to see, and return every year to spawn. Those that do are called steelhead. If they stay in fresh water, they remain rainbow trout.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chinook/king salmon are from the Pacific, not the Atlantic.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.