"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #641
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Gravlaks. A friend of mine (who happens to be from Greenland), makes excellent Gravlaks. I like mine with lots of fresh dill, so besides the salmon, I need to be able to get fresh dill as well. TL--is there a type of salmon you prefer (Atlantic vs. Pacific vs. Alaskan)? This is on my 2012 Bucket list--to make gravlaks. I've been nervous about doing so because I question the freshness of the salmon available. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gravlaks.
Every "authentic" recipe I have every seen for gravad laks includes a lot of fresh dill.

Atlantic salmon. I have never tried Alaskan, but isn't that Pacific? I don't think it really makes a huge difference, as long as the fish is fresh enough.

I'm going to try an experiment. I have some HighLiner frozen, boneless, wild, Pacific salmon fillets. I'm going to use frozen dill and put the whole thing in the fridge frozen and let it thaw in the marinade. I'm not sure if I want to use vodka, brandy, akvavit, or lemon juice, probably not akvavit, 'cause I'd rather drink that.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #642
Executive Chef

Well, it seems like everyone except me has made or eaten gravad laks.

My next trip to the store, I"ll have to pick up the ingredients for it.

I can hardly wait to try it!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #643
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Gravlaks. A friend of mine (who happens to be from Greenland), makes excellent Gravlaks. I like mine with lots of fresh dill, so besides the salmon, I need to be able to get fresh dill as well. TL--is there a type of salmon you prefer (Atlantic vs. Pacific vs. Alaskan)? This is on my 2012 Bucket list--to make gravlaks. I've been nervous about doing so because I question the freshness of the salmon available. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gravlaks.
Did you know that the Atlantic salmon do not return to the place of birth to reproduce and then die? They do not die. They return to the ocean.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #644
Sous Chef

I LOVE salmon! Raw, smoked, or grilled. Yum!! And trout.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #645
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I LOVE salmon! Raw, smoked, or grilled. Yum!! And trout.
Canned Salmon was one of the things that was on our supper table 3 times a week when I was a kid. I got so burnt out on it. That was always cooked Salmon. Then, I was introduced to sushi. Both regular raw salmon and smoked salmon are like treats to me. I'm really looking forward to trying this gravlax. If it's as good on sushi as I think it will be by all of your descriptions of it, then it will become a staple in my house.

After curing it, rinsing it and rewrapping it, how long should it last in the fridge? My fridge is at 36F.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #646
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Every "authentic" recipe I have every seen for gravad laks includes a lot of fresh dill.

Atlantic salmon. I have never tried Alaskan, but isn't that Pacific? I don't think it really makes a huge difference, as long as the fish is fresh enough.

I'm going to try an experiment. I have some HighLiner frozen, boneless, wild, Pacific salmon fillets. I'm going to use frozen dill and put the whole thing in the fridge frozen and let it thaw in the marinade. I'm not sure if I want to use vodka, brandy, akvavit, or lemon juice, probably not akvavit, 'cause I'd rather drink that.
You and me both (re: akvavit)! Let me know how that works. My friend lives in St. Lazare....I'll email him and ask him where he gets the salmon.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #647
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
yams, rutabaga, okra, raw bananas. it's primarily a texture problem with the okra and the bananas....
just a quick update: strike 'yams' off my list, I like them fine now. only I call them sweet potatoes, and don't combine them with marshmallows....

...and just to be fair, lets give rutabagas a pass too. actually, I can't even recall the last rutabaga encounter I had. it's entirely possible I've never even eaten a rutabaga. don't know what it's doing on my list of inedibles--sorry, rutabagas.

hmm, that leaves raw bananas. now, that's gonna be a tough one....
Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #648
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
just a quick update: strike 'yams' off my list, I like them fine now. only I call them sweet potatoes, and don't combine them with marshmallows....

...and just to be fair, lets give rutabagas a pass too. actually, I can't even recall the last rutabaga encounter I had. it's entirely possible I've never even eaten a rutabaga. don't know what it's doing on my list of inedibles--sorry, rutabagas.

hmm, that leaves raw bananas. now, that's gonna be a tough one....
What about turnips? Almost the same flavor as a rutabaga. I love the taste of either one. Wouldn't be a true New England boiled dinner without them.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #649
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Did you know that the Atlantic salmon do not return to the place of birth to reproduce and then die? They do not die. They return to the ocean.
That depends on the species of Salmon migrating inland from the atlantic. If we are talking about the species - Atlantic Salmon, you are correct. But if we are talking Chinook/King Salmon, they die after spawning in the Great Lakes tributaries. I think pinks also return to the sea, as do coho. So, some salmon from the Atlantic do spawn and die.

In addition, we have rainbow trout from the Great lakes that go to see, and return every year to spawn. Those that do are called steelhead. If they stay in fresh water, they remain rainbow trout.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #650
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
That depends on the species of Salmon migrating inland from the atlantic. If we are talking about the species - Atlantic Salmon, you are correct. But if we are talking Chinook/King Salmon, they die after spawning in the Great Lakes tributaries. I think pinks also return to the sea, as do coho. So, some salmon from the Atlantic do spawn and die.

In addition, we have rainbow trout from the Great lakes that go to see, and return every year to spawn. Those that do are called steelhead. If they stay in fresh water, they remain rainbow trout.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chinook/king salmon are from the Pacific, not the Atlantic.