"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #651
Executive Chef

Well, someone revived this old thread, so I will say that I can't think of any food that I don't like, just those that I prefer more than others. I love to try new foods and will try just about anything, as long as it is a known food....not just something someone decided to serve on a plate. So that eliminates worms, insects, and anything that's still moving. I didn't eat sweet potatoes for the first 60 years of my life but when I was offered one baked...not with all the brown sugar and marshmallows, I found that I love them. So I decided that most foods can be prepared in different ways so that there's some way that I will eat them.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #652
Chef Extraordinaire

Star fruit. I just don't like the after taste.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #653
Senior Cook

I'll eat almost anything except liver or raisins. However, my hubby is another story. How does one cook for someone who hates: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans , dried beans, carrots, olives, sweet potatoes, eggplant, rutabagas, turnips, celery, okra. In short as far as veggies go the only thing he will eat is corn, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cucumber. He eats meat, cheese,potatoes, pasta an rice. He hates casseroles. Doesn't matter what I make, he always gives it a suspicious look. I was a vegetarian, so I love spices and veggies. My cooking has become so limited and downright dull. He tells me to cook as I please, but his pickiness takes the joy away. Some days I cook my way and throw him a cold ring of bologna to eat (disgusting, but it is his favorite). Sorry, I'm new here, but this thread rang a big bell.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #654
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I am so glad I don't have to cook for a picky eater! That must be extremely challenging. I eat a heavy on the veggies diet (huge gardens). I find I like some veggies better than others, but I will eat them all. I do not eat bananas, pears, star fruit, kidney, tripe, smoked eel, canned tuna, or raw fish.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #655
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Well, someone revived this old thread, so I will say that I can't think of any food that I don't like, just those that I prefer more than others. I love to try new foods and will try just about anything, as long as it is a known food....not just something someone decided to serve on a plate. So that eliminates worms, insects, and anything that's still moving. I didn't eat sweet potatoes for the first 60 years of my life but when I was offered one baked...not with all the brown sugar and marshmallows, I found that I love them. So I decided that most foods can be prepared in different ways so that there's some way that I will eat them.
You realize Carol that there are some folks who think sweet 'taters and marshmallows grow together. I don't want to disillusion them.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #656
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Welcome to DC! I am so glad I don't have to cook for a picky eater! That must be extremely challenging. I eat a heavy on the veggies diet (huge gardens). I find I like some veggies better than others, but I will eat them all. I do not eat bananas, pears, star fruit, kidney, tripe, smoked eel, canned tuna, or raw fish.
I've seen you eat fish that wasn't cooked. For some values of raw, smoked salmon and pickled herring are raw.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #657
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
I'll eat almost anything except liver or raisins. However, my hubby is another story. How does one cook for someone who hates: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans , dried beans, carrots, olives, sweet potatoes, eggplant, rutabagas, turnips, celery, okra. In short as far as veggies go the only thing he will eat is corn, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cucumber. He eats meat, cheese,potatoes, pasta an rice. He hates casseroles. Doesn't matter what I make, he always gives it a suspicious look. I was a vegetarian, so I love spices and veggies. My cooking has become so limited and downright dull. He tells me to cook as I please, but his pickiness takes the joy away. Some days I cook my way and throw him a cold ring of bologna to eat (disgusting, but it is his favorite). Sorry, I'm new here, but this thread rang a big bell.
Welcome to DC.

There's a couple of us who cook for themselves and then for a spouse who doesn't like anything. Yes, it is challenging. I've learned to cook what I want and then if Shrek (the spousal unit) doesn't like it he is free to fix whatever he wants.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #658
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've seen you eat fish that wasn't cooked. For some values of raw, smoked salmon and pickled herring are raw.
That was excellent herring, btw. I thought of that after I posted. I make exceptions re: herring and salmon.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #659
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That was excellent herring, btw. I thought of that after I posted. I make exceptions re: herring and salmon.

It's Sashimi you don't care for...
Old 09-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #660
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

It's Sashimi you don't care for...
I'll take CWS's sashimi for her.....

I'm lucky, DH usually likes what I cook. If he turns up his nose, he's free to scrounge.

Welcome to DC, Raspberry!