"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #671
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yep, mine won't wear his dentures either. Not yet in a wheelchair but he's angling towards one.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #672
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yep, mine won't wear his dentures either. Not yet in a wheelchair but he's angling towards one.
My Grandfather only wore his dentures for special occasions like weddings and funerals, even then he took them out to eat.

Now they sit on top of the toilet tank in my bathroom.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #673
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My Grandfather only wore his dentures for special occasions like weddings and funerals, even then he took them out to eat.

Now they sit on top of the toilet tank in my bathroom.
Your grandfather's dentures? Why?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #674
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Your grandfather's dentures? Why?
Why not?

When he passed away the undertaker asked my Grandmother about them and she told him that she did not want my Grandfather to be uncomfortable for eternity so they went back into the drawer. When my Grandmother died in 1972 I gave them a home.

Some people inherit Grandfather clocks or family silver, I got dentures.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #675
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Why not?

When he passed away the undertaker asked my Grandmother about them and she told him that she did not want my Grandfather to be uncomfortable for eternity so they went back into the drawer. When my Grandmother died in 1972 I gave them a home.

Some people inherit Grandfather clocks or family silver, I got dentures.
Oh, okay. I guess it reminds you of him.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #676
Senior Cook

Well, I'm trying another meal he won't eat tonight. I found some Texas Hash in the freezer. Refreshing it with some fried bacon, onion and a bit of tomato sauce. I love it, but I won't get my hopes up for hubby. ( he didn't even like the KFC that he wanted the other night...). He needs to start a picky eaters anonymous... I hope there's a ring of cold bologna in the frig which I can throw at him just in case!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #677
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
Well, I'm trying another meal he won't eat tonight. I found some Texas Hash in the freezer. Refreshing it with some fried bacon, onion and a bit of tomato sauce. I love it, but I won't get my hopes up for hubby. ( he didn't even like the KFC that he wanted the other night...). He needs to start a picky eaters anonymous... I hope there's a ring of cold bologna in the frig which I can throw at him just in case!
Could it be that hubby is being this picky as a means of expressing his frustration about the loss of control of his life? I'd probably whir everything in a blender and give him a "shake."
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #678
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If you ever get the chance, make an exception for cold smoked trout.
I've been eating smoked trout for much of the last two weeks. A friend of mine smokes his own and had an overabundance, so he's been bringing the overflow to me. I love the stuff. In fact, I prefer smoked trout over salmon because it has more flavor.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #679
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'll eat almost anything except liver or raisins. However, my hubby is another story. How does one cook for someone who hates: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans , dried beans, carrots, olives, sweet potatoes, eggplant, rutabagas, turnips, celery, okra. In short as far as veggies go the only thing he will eat is corn, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cucumber. He eats meat, cheese,potatoes, pasta an rice. He hates casseroles. Doesn't matter what I make, he always gives it a suspicious look. I was a vegetarian, so I love spices and veggies. My cooking has become so limited and downright dull. He tells me to cook as I please, but his pickiness takes the joy away. Some days I cook my way and throw him a cold ring of bologna to eat (disgusting, but it is his favorite). Sorry, I'm new here, but this thread rang a big bell.

I love liver but I don't cook it because DH won't eat it anymore. He used to, but after he found out what it is he will no longer eat it. I order it at a restaurant in town once in a while. He will eat certain meats, cooked a certain way, most veggies in small quantities and all potatoes. He is very hard to cook for. He also won't eat casseroles. He says casseroles are for women. (?) I keep telling him the next time I get married I'm marrying someone who will eat whatever I put in front of him.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #680
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks. I'm having a terrible navigating these forums and some times I can't find the post button. Doing this all on cell phone as I don't have a computer.

Anyhow, now my picky husband is telling me the meats have been too dry lately. I always add a touch of olive oil to keep meat moist. I have to make sure everything is tender ( he refuses to wear his dentures), which usually means stewed or ground meats. He hates veggies. I'd tell him to cook for himelself but he is in a wheelchair. He used to own a restaurant, but he shakes too much to cook. As he gets older, he has gotten sooooo picky. Good thing our cats aren't! Every time I put his meal in frOnt of him I get a look. I'm about ready to plop the plate on his picky head! I hate picky eaters, they take the joy out of cooking. ***end of rant***

After getting his last 2 teeth pulled a year ago, my husband decided it's too late in the game to get dentures. He does a pretty good job of eating without teeth. He eats steak....cuts it in very small pieces and gums it. Most everything else he eats is soft foods. I don't think that's why he's a picky eater though, because he was picky when he had them, too.