"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #701
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Don't think of it as being lazy, you are just saving your energy for more difficult chores that require vast amounts of effort.
And, it will free up a spot on the shelf in the pantry.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #702
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You realize Carol that there are some folks who think sweet 'taters and marshmallows grow together. I don't want to disillusion them.
Sweet potatoes and/or yams mixed with marshmallows seems so gross to me that I've sometimes convinced other people to cook something else if I'm invited, or let me bring the yams.

Yams are already sweet. No need to add candy to them.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #703
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've seen you eat fish that wasn't cooked. For some values of raw, smoked salmon and pickled herring are raw.
I'm eating raw salmon (with wasabi and soy sauce) as I'm perusing this topic! Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #704
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm not a fan of sashimi either. I have no problem with eating it. I just find it too bland.
Mix some wasabi. Take some of the wasabi and add it to your soy sauce. Use your chop sticks to pick up a bit of sashimi and a bit of wasabi infused soy sauce, and eat that.

I can still taste the salmon but it's very spicy witht he wasabi and soy sauce. You pick how spicy you want it by the amount of wasabi you use.

I usually eat tuna sashimi. This salmon sashimi is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up a couple of 1# packages of frozen sashimi grade tuna today, saw a nice small package of partially frozen salmon that immediately changed my dinner menu from barbecued baby back ribs to salmon sashimi, a (cooked) crab cocktail chaser, and scrounge around my fridge if I'm still hungry. (I have a 1/4# of last night's rib eye steak and hamburger buns...)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #705
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Mix some wasabi. Take some of the wasabi and add it to your soy sauce. Use your chop sticks to pick up a bit of sashimi and a bit of wasabi infused soy sauce, and eat that.

I can still taste the salmon but it's very spicy witht he wasabi and soy sauce. You pick how spicy you want it by the amount of wasabi you use.
Yeah, yeah, I can add some flavour. Still much prefer gravad or cold smoked.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #706
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Our local HyVee now has a sushi/sashimi bar, have been wanting to try some, but since we're not located anywhere near an ocean, I'm a bit skittish.
I'm pretty sure my tuna comes from several thousand miles away, and cut up into serving sizes (about a pound) and flash frozen right on the ship. Do a bit of research and you'll probably find same as me, that it's a good idea to freeze fish for perhaps 24-48 hours to kill (possible) parasites. IMO it is distinctly a bad idea to eat raw fish that hasn't gone through this freezing parasite killing process. Really, I mean read up and report back in this topic!

I'm pretty sure all my sushi grade fish (tuna, salmon) has been frozen for weeks or more. The tuna I bought today was still frozen solid, the salmon was defrosted (and sitting in the same display case, I don't understand that). I get my sashimi grade from my favorite of only two markets in the San Fernnado Valley (suburb of Los Angeles), I prefer Greenland Market in Northridge because I lived near there and ate their products for 30 years, but 99 Ranch in Van Nuys also sells a credible sashimi, and perhaps Galleria Market in Northridge although I haven't bought raw fish there. (Just a few tips for my L.A. friends.) Here in L.A. we can also go downtown to our Little Japan area, but prices are high and commuting is a PITA.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #707
Executive Chef

Quote:
If it is frozen on the fishing boat, it's fresher than the stuff brought to port. Ask if it's made from frozen fish. That kills parasites too.
Didn't read your post until my previous post but I concur. It's a bad idea to eat raw fish that hasn't been frozen for at least 24-48 hours.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #708
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We have lots of sushi bars in town, they get their's in fresh frozen. I'm still looking for the best price per piece...get tired of going by myself...
I get my frozen sushi grade tuna for $19.99 per pound.

Compare that to the price in a restaurant, and while you're pondering that consider the recipe for sashimi... (Do you got a sharp knife?)
Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #709
Senior Cook

Chicken liver Pate or any organ meats. Had to make 5 lbs of Pate for dinner service every night. I eat any kind of pickles but can't eat cukes. I eat honeydews but can't eat cantaloupes. Kind of a gag reflex. Weird!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #710
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
Lutefisk is also tasteless except for the drawn butter. Ever notice how Norsk food tends toward white and bland? Although I love Norsk baked goods: jule kake, sandbakkel, lefsa, rosettes, etc. I make all of it for the holidays. And smoked chubs are wonderful, but I hate pulling off the heads. I don't like food looking at me!

I have never even heard of these foods, except for chubs. I heard of them but don't really know what they are. I would not want to be pulling the head off of anything.