"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #741
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I remember there was a spoof website, something like manmeat.com that purported to sell steaks made from human flesh.

It looked like a real site. Perhaps the jokesters tired of their jokes, or perhaps they were pressured to quit teasing about such a sensitive subject.

I also remember petv.org, "People for the Ethical Treatment of Vegetables," which is also now defunct. It was a great spoof of the PETA site.

Personally I have no objection to killing any animals except those who are our common pets (dogs & cats) ... and humans of course ... for meat. As far as plants, I don't think they have any ability to perceive pain or any central nervous system to recognize it, so kill all the plants you like (except endangered species).

I recall a story told to me by my Chinese friend and colleague Qiuyan who was loaned a pet dog when she was a girl growing up in China. (She eventually earned an engineering degree and emigrated to the US and worked with me at a medical electronic company.) One day her neighbor who loaned her the pet dog reclaimed it, hung it by its hind legs and beat it with a baseball bat (to tenderize it) until it died, and then he cooked it and offered Qiuyan some of the meat, which of course she declined.

It was a pretty strong story, I hope you don't mind me sharing it, but it illustrates that other cultures may regard our pets as food animals. And to cap off the story, many people regard cows as sacred in India yet beef is one of our biggest meat sources in Western society.

Is it a pet or is it food? It depends on your cultural and culinary values and customs.
I think this illustrates a point about how food animals are treated during their lives and at the end. I find it odd that (at least in the UK) people will eat meat killed in abattoirs where animals are frequently stressed both in transport and in the killing areas but will castigate anyone who shoots his own dinner. At least in the latter case the animal or bird has had a comfortable free life.

My uncle and a couple of cousins were in the meat trade and they have all, at different times told me that the quality and flavour of the meat is seriously undermined if the animal is subjected to stress during transport and the killing procedure.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #742
Chef Extraordinaire

Egg yolks, liver, & venison all top my list of un-liked foods.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #743
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Egg yolks, liver, & venison all top my list of un-liked foods.
I am not one to eat wild meat. Too gamey tasting for me. But I just bought two pieces of liver. After cutting them into portion size, I now have enough for six meals. Want to come to supper?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #744
Chef Extraordinaire

I cannot even stomach the smell of liver, Nasty stuff! I am not overly fond of most meat.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #745
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am not one to eat wild meat. Too gamey tasting for me. But I just bought two pieces of liver. After cutting them into portion size, I now have enough for six meals. Want to come to supper?

I'll be there Addie!!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #746
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I'll be there Addie!!
Oh goodie! Dredged liver sautéed with a pile of fried onions and mashed potatoes. Creamed peas and carrots for the veggie. Coffee, tea, milk or water for a drink.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #747
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh goodie! Dredged liver sautéed with a pile of fried onions and mashed potatoes. Creamed peas and carrots for the veggie. Coffee, tea, milk or water for a drink.
Bacon, could there be bacon, too???
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #748
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Bacon, could there be bacon, too???
Sure thing. I aim to please! And someone can have mine as I don't like bacon with my liver.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #749
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Sure thing. I aim to please! And someone can have mine as I don't like bacon with my liver.
My liver loves bacon...
Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #750
Head Chef

Heart, brains, stomach lining, lungs, bulls testicles. (from Britain)

Chittlings. (US) I am pretty sure these would be on my list of things to avoid.

And from seeing some shows about China ......

I am not a big fan of offal.

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with a bit of black pudding or Haggis... just so long as you don't read the "ingredients" list too closely!