"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #841
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Grandma used to cook with green peppers and then pick them out of her food. She liked the flavor imparted but not the texture.
I always julienne them. I don't want a big piece of green bell pepper in my mouth.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #842
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I always julienne them. I don't want a big piece of green bell pepper in my mouth.
We girls would swipe them off the edge of her plate...

Old 10-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #843
Assistant Cook

Liver..I hate Liver and refuse to make it.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #844
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I once bought beef liver in those frozen machine cut slices. It was awful. The dog wouldn't eat it. I've been skeptical ever since.
I recently had calf liver from the frozen slices (four 4 oz. slices in a 1 # package for $4) and liked it. Today I bought two more 1 lb. packages. I really like the convenience of having individual 4 oz. cryo-vac packages of each slice. Getting it in fresh packages has always been a problem. How much to get? Now I can just thaw (and at that thickness they thaw within minutes in a warm water bath) and I can turn 12 oz. of frozen calf liver into a nice calf liver dinner within minutes.

The liver cooks qukcily. It's the onions that take up the time.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #845
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The green bell peppers are bitter because they are not ripe. When they do ripen they turn red, yellow or orange. I would love to know how green ones became so popular. I will never understand how folks can willingly eat bitter foods. There are too many better tasting foods to indulge with.
You should understand that green, yellow and red bell peppers differ only in their degree of ripeness.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #846
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You should understand that green, yellow and red bell peppers differ only in their degree of ripeness.
They all start out green. Some go straight from green to red. Others go from green to yellow and never change colour after that. Addie did mention that the green ones were not ripe.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #847
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofy View Post
Liver..I hate Liver and refuse to make it.
Oh but when done right, it can be a WONDERFUL meal!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #848
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Oh but when done right, it can be a WONDERFUL meal!
Little I did I know what I would unearth when I asked this question. Liver seems to be the consensus. Too bad. It is loaded with iron. Something a lot of women need more of. It is high in Vitamin A so should be eaten in small amounts. You can get Vitamin A poisoning from eating too much at one sitting or eating it consistently on a daily basis. Something I would gladly do if I didn't know the dangers.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #849
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Little I did I know what I would unearth when I asked this question. Liver seems to be the consensus. Too bad. It is loaded with iron. Something a lot of women need more of. It is high in Vitamin A so should be eaten in small amounts. You can get Vitamin A poisoning from eating too much at one sitting or eating it consistently on a daily basis. Something I would gladly do if I didn't know the dangers.
With Beagle being so sick and unable to eat, I've been doing a lot of reseach as to what's good for dogs. They don't recommend liver for dogs either, except in small amounts, for the same reason, which is weird as liver is an ingredient in many dog treats.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #850
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
With Beagle being so sick and unable to eat, I've been doing a lot of reseach as to what's good for dogs. They don't recommend liver for dogs either, except in small amounts, for the same reason, which is weird as liver is an ingredient in many dog treats.
You really do need to look at what is in those dog foods and treats. Just like you do for human food. If liver is one of the first three foods listed, I would find another brand.

Teddy loves liverwurst. But I refused to share any with him. I no longer will munch on it if he is here. Why tease him? H is so spoiled with fresh meats, that he no longer even will eat his dry food.