"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #871
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
You are both wrong about brussle sprouts and anchovies but that kitty say's it all about raw tomatoes.
__________________

__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #872
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've eaten plenty of liver and I don't like it. Don't assume it's because it wasn't properly cooked. Dad was a chef. Assume it's because I don't like the taste and texture. No need to feel sorry for me. I'm just avoiding something distasteful.
So many people over-cook it until it's almost powder-y and sticks to the inside of your mouth. I love it when it's lightly cooked though
__________________

__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #873
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
You are both wrong about brussle sprouts and anchovies but that kitty say's it all about raw tomatoes.
And bananas
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #874
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
So many people over-cook it until it's almost powder-y and sticks to the inside of your mouth...

Why do you assume this is the reason others don't like liver?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #875
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Why do you assume this is the reason others don't like liver?
Because I can if I want to.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #876
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
And bananas
You say Bananas, I say Tomatoes.


It's all good and it's what makes the world go round.



Bananas need to be just flecked with spots to be ready to eat.

Too early they are a yuck and too late they are banana bread.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #877
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
So many people over-cook it until it's almost powder-y and sticks to the inside of your mouth. I love it when it's lightly cooked though

I would lean more towards the taste (and smell) as the #1 reason ... also for some it's simply the thought of what it is.

If you can't get past those things you won't even get to the way it is cooked.
__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #878
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I would lean more towards the taste (and smell) as the #1 reason ... also for some it's simply the thought of what it is.

If you can't get past those things you won't even get to the way it is cooked.

Isn't it weird, though, how we are all made relatively the same, but something like liver can taste so different to us.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #879
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
So many people over-cook it until it's almost powder-y and sticks to the inside of your mouth. I love it when it's lightly cooked though
That's the way my mother cooked liver. I hated it. I thought I hated liver. Then one day I ordered a rib steak rare. It came with a liver and weenie appetizer. I thought, let's give that liver a try. OMG, it was amazing. It was grilled and still pink inside. I have been a fan of liver ever since.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #880
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

That's okay Andy .. not everybody can handle liver.
Actually ... not everybody *likes* liver. It's not a matter of "handling" it. It simply tastes gross
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.