"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #941
Head Chef

I always thought that frozen peas (and other frozen veggies) had more nutritional content than canned veggies. Recently I've seen ads or info somewhere that say the canned variety has the same nutritional value. That kind of surprised me.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #942
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I always thought that frozen peas (and other frozen veggies) had more nutritional content than canned veggies. Recently I've seen ads or info somewhere that say the canned variety has the same nutritional value. That kind of surprised me.
Hmm, were there "weasel words" involved. I don't see how the vitamin C content of something cooked as long as canned peas can possibly be as high as in frozen food. Now, I know that some nutrients are more available in cooked foods, but others are just gone.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #943
Executive Chef

Quote:

I have never heard that. They always say since the frozen variety are flash frozen it holds the nutritional value better. Most of the canned veggies have too much sodium. Another reason why I prefer to buy frozen is since there is just the 2 of us now, I can take out just the amount we are going to eat and reseal the bag and put it back in the freezer. Once you open a can you have to eat it all. You could freeze it, but you need to find a container etc. On the other hand, when we have leftover veggies from dinner I keep a container in the freezer and accumulate the veggies to use in soup. I do find that canned veggies are cheaper if money is a problem.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #944
Head Chef

Del Monte or one of the major canned vegetable makers inserted that factoid briefly into their TV ads. I'm certain I heard it as part of the ad. That is what made my ears perk up and post about it here. This, in essence, suggests that both frozen and canned are equal nutritionally and that the only difference is in their appearance and texture. Concluding that freshly cooked raw vegetables are the only way to get the most nutritional benefits. Fast frozen veggies are no better for you than canned. So, I learned something new today.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #945
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Del Monte or one of the major canned vegetable makers inserted that factoid briefly into their TV ads. I'm certain I heard it as part of the ad. That is what made my ears perk up and post about it here. This, in essence, suggests that both frozen and canned are equal nutritionally and that the only difference is in their appearance and texture. Concluding that freshly cooked raw vegetables are the only way to get the most nutritional benefits. Fast frozen veggies are no better for you than canned. So, I learned something new today.
The ad stated that all their veggies went straight from the field to the factory. Del Monte does have factories right their at the end of the fields. In Hawaii the factory was located at a different place near the State prison from the pineapple fields. The fruit went right into the trucks and with all the pickers, it didn't take long for the truck to fill up. So the pineapples were in the factory being processed within two hours of being cut in the field.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #946
Assistant Cook

something that still moves! i'm a fairly adventurous eater but draw the line at wiggling creatures on my plate.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #947
Senior Cook

I worked 7 summers at a canning factory. To this day I cannot abide canned peas. It's the smell. It takes me back to to the silage smell in the plant (they sell the shells, etc to farmers for silage, so nothing gets wasted.) I still like canned corn, but I remember working on the sorting cleaning tables picking out toads, worms, Bella Donna ( same size as peas but purple and not healthy!) I actually had fun working there, even though I smelled like silage when I got home every morning. Good money for a college kid and beginning teacher back in the 70s.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #948
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrymocha55 View Post
I worked 7 summers at a canning factory. To this day I cannot abide canned peas. It's the smell. It takes me back to to the silage smell in the plant (they sell the shells, etc to farmers for silage, so nothing gets wasted.) I still like canned corn, but I remember working on the sorting cleaning tables picking out toads, worms, Bella Donna ( same size as peas but purple and not healthy!) I actually had fun working there, even though I smelled like silage when I got home every morning. Good money for a college kid and beginning teacher back in the 70s.
Arrgh, silage! I worked in a County Extension Lab that analyzed the nutrient content of silage. Stinky stuff, my job was to dry it, chop it and grind it fine. I was always coated in silage!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #949
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco Preto View Post
something that still moves! i'm a fairly adventurous eater but draw the line at wiggling creatures on my plate.
Ya, I still trust and expect the "fresh" produce I get at my local national chain supermarket to meet certain standards, lol. Nothing growing inside, if you don't mind.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #950
Assistant Cook

i had http://i.minus.com/ibxiDXDiz7b4MD.gif this in mind...
(according to the interwebs this was in Korea. one can also eat it in Japan and China.)