What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I don't think I have ever had walleye. I haven't eaten a fresh water fish that I liked. I only seem to like salt water fish. Cooked salmon actually makes me gag, even when other people are raving about how yummy it is.

Talk to CWS about walleye, we both grew up on it! It's Lake of the Woods lobster!

I gag on cooked salmon that everyone raves about too....unless it was one I caught. Or if it's smoked.

Talk to CWS about walleye, we both grew up on it! It's Lake of the Woods lobster!

I gag on cooked salmon that everyone raves about too....unless it was one I caught. Or if it's smoked.
I once went to a fancy resto with my sister. We had a "fire kissed" salmon tartar. I had to scrape off the outside part. It had just barely started to change colour, so I tasted a tiny bit - yuck!

I tried a teensy bit of hot smoked salmon - same yuck reaction.

I once went to a fancy resto with my sister. We had a "fire kissed" salmon tartar. I had to scrape off the outside part. It had just barely started to change colour, so I tasted a tiny bit - yuck!

I tried a teensy bit of hot smoked salmon - same yuck reaction.

I have never had good salmon in a restro. DH will insist that I take a bite of his (he orders it all the time), I take a tiny taste, and it is always nasty. Everyone else loves it. I don't get it.

You do need to try walleye, but only the fresh caught. There is nothing like it!

Walleye and Lake Superior whitefish are quite good, but still don't compare to grouper or hogfish. And believe it or not, lionfish is a gourmet treat. The flesh is white and flaky and delicious. For those not familiar with it, this is a lionfish. The spines are poisonous and will deliver a very painful sting, but once they are cut off the venom is gone with them and it's just like any other fish, only tastier.

lionprofile10.jpg

Last edited:
Walleye and Lake Superior whitefish are quite good, but still don't compare to grouper or hogfish. And believe it or not, lionfish is a gourmet treat. The flesh is white and flaky and delicious. For those not familiar with it, this is a lionfish. The spines are poisonous and will deliver a very painful sting, but once they are cut off the venom is gone with them and it's just like any other fish, only tastier.

Thanks, RP! LOVE eating lionfish! I've posted a few times about how delicious they are. We try to do our part and eat as many as possible when we're down in the Caribbean. It seems that spearing and eating them are the only way we can keep them from decimating the coral reef fish.

Restaurants are finally figuring out what to do with them, and that us tourists will happily eat them. My absolute favorite is coconut crusted, but garlic is good too. :yum: :)

I cannot take oysters, mussels, escargot, clams, basically any mollusk/shellfish. I can handle scallops but only in certain preparations. It's texture and my throat.

Back
Top Bottom