What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is what Kathleen doesn't want to see on her plate. Eggs, bacon, pancakes with fruit topping, sausage and potatoes... all touching. :ROFLMAO:

OMG, that was just....hideous.

Okay....I don't like many foods touching. I'll admit to that. I still have a divider plate that I use. Like in the train-wreck mentioned above, sausage MAY touch the pancakes...but I have to add syrup. Potatoes MAY touch the eggs. Bacon touches nothing. Eggs can touch toast too. Fruit topping on the sides. People who are like this immediately know the rules. Those who aren't, don't. If I get served foods breaking the rules, I eat the parts that do not touch. Yes, it makes me feel like I am six in not such a good way. :neutral:

Okay....I don't like many foods touching. I'll admit to that. I still have a divider plate that I use. Like in the train-wreck mentioned above, sausage MAY touch the pancakes...but I have to add syrup. Potatoes MAY touch the eggs. Bacon touches nothing. Eggs can touch toast too. Fruit topping on the sides. People who are like this immediately know the rules. Those who aren't, don't. If I get served foods breaking the rules, I eat the parts that do not touch. Yes, it makes me feel like I am six in not such a good way. :neutral:

:LOL: NOW we understand the allure of Bento!:ROFLMAO:

Liver, onions and bacon!!! Stroke meal if you ever had one. The liver is triple dredged in flour, S&P.

I have food touching rules as well. Runny things need to be contained in their own bowl. Gravy can touch the meat and potatoes, and stuffing, but it can't touch the sweet potato, cranberry etc. I will often eat those two things separately. Cole slaw running all in my fried chicken is a no go! Cranberry stained potatoes, heck no!

In a restaurant, I will often have small bits of food left on the plate that are "contaminated". I too feel silly about this, but just don't want to eat them. When people mix together their entire plate and just shovel it in, I just look away... Don't even get me started on shepard's pie!

Last edited:
You're unlikely to find octopus on my plate, unless someone else puts it there. I'll eat it, but won't take it willingly. Just doesn't do it for me. But I really don't think there's anything in the way of food that I absolutely won't eat. I may eat it to be polite or because that's all there is, but I'll eat it. Oh, yeah. I won't eat one of those fried whole onion "flowers," even to be polite. Too greasy. Otherwise, I take the attitude that it hasn't killed the locals and probably won't kill me. I'm far more leery of badly done food than any particular food.

i am sorry, kathleen, for the obstacles dining out must present for you. eating a meal should not be like traversing a minefield...i applaud you for your unflagging foodie perseverance and spirit despite those obstacles....:)

:LOL: NOW we understand the allure of Bento!:ROFLMAO:

Liver, onions and bacon!!! Stroke meal if you ever had one. The liver is triple dredged in flour, S&P.

Yep! Bento makes it all okay.

And agreed about the liver and onions though bacon is optional for me. I like it made that way though.

I have food touching rules as well. Runny things need to be contained in their own bowl. Gravy can touch the meat and potatoes, and stuffing, but it can't touch the sweet potato, cranberry etc. I will often eat those two things separately. Cole slaw running all in my fried chicken is a no go! Cranberry stained potatoes, heck no!

In a restaurant, I will often have small bits of food left on the plate that are "contaminated". I too feel silly about this, but just don't want to eat them. When people mix together their entire plate and just shovel it in, I just look away... Don't even get me started on shepard's pie!

You know the rules! Seriously! I agree with all of your rules. I cannot even start to consider Shepard's Pie. I'm trying to think if there is a "rule" that it doesn't break. Veggies in gravy would be my start. :wacko:

i am sorry, kathleen, for the obstacles dining out must present for you. eating a meal should not be like traversing a minefield...i applaud you for your unflagging foodie perseverance and spirit despite those obstacles....:)

Dining out at a restaurant is a cake-walk. "Please put everything on a separate plate." Dinner with friends is easy to. "You know how I am with that." Mandatory fun with social acquaintances - especially work-related social acquaintances - is where it is problematic. "Wow....look at that! You put a JELLO cube in the center of the mashed potatoes where butter is usually found. How creative." Fortunately, I'm not big on dinner bread so can often mine it free and stash it in a dinner roll. The roll then acts as a dam for the rest of the dinner concerns. :D I sincerely do try to be a gracious dinner guest...and I try to pay attention to what my guests like and dislike so that I can be a gracious hostess. Also I tend to ensure there is a basket of rolls somewhere on the table. :LOL:

I eat ALL veggies -- yes, even Brussels sprouts! I never eat raw fish -- definitely a home for wormy parasites. Also, Velveta cheese -- great for wallpaper paste!

Bugs, companion animals, anything still squirming.

that's pretty much it for me too. sort of like whatever andrew zimmern eats.

i saw him eat a 3 week old fertilized duck egg the other day. :sick:

it looked like a slimey baby duck all curled up and crammed in a shell, pin feathers and all.

There's not much I don't like. I loathe beef liver. If I was stranded with nothing to eat but liver I would surely die. Ditto for beets. I also can't stand Atlantic/farmed salmon, although I'll happily eat wild caught King, Sockeye, Coho, etc.

Veggie wise I don't like squash. Sure, I love zucchini & yellow squash as well as spaghetti squash but I dislike butternut, acorn, etc. Same for sweet potatoes, I'll pass. I can eat lima beans but I don't really like them much, too dry. And I don't like radishes, either. There's another category for me, too: Stuff I like cooked that I don't like raw. This definitely includes carrots, broccoli and (to a lesser degree) cauliflower. The latter two are fine with some dip but I don't ever like carrots raw save just a few shreds in a salad. I love cabbage cooked but I don't like it raw except as coleslaw.

There are just a few fruits I don't care for. Raw mango does nothing for me, just don't like the texture or flavor. And I dislike honeydew and cantaloupes, too.

I guess that sounds like a lot of stuff when I list it!:ROFLMAO: But realistically that's almost everything I can name that I don't like. Even as a kid I liked most of the "nasty" stuff- broccoli, cabbage, turnips, peas, brussel sprouts,etc.

I eat ALL veggies -- yes, even Brussels sprouts! I never eat raw fish -- definitely a home for wormy parasites. Also, Velveta cheese -- great for wallpaper paste!

Hmmm ... I guess the Hawaiian ahi poke we had for dinner the night before last isn't something I'd make for you?

Most sea food
Old Ham
Blue, Feta or Goat Cheese
Garlic infused Turkey Dinner
Grilled leafy veggies
I am sure there is more, but this is the things that come to mind at the moment.

Last edited:

I love shepherds pie, but would never make my own with the ingredients on my plate. It must be served as shepherds pie, not mixed together by me on my plate. In my family that was playing with your food.

Kathleen, do you eat peas, corn?
Is it OK to use other food as a "backstop" to help you get them onto your spoon or fork? Or are you a fork in one hand, knife in the other person? I've been known to use two pieces of flatware, but that is because I eat one thing at a time and veggies are last. There's nothing left to help them onto my sppon :angel:
And if you are ever in my area you might as well skip eating a big breakfast in a diner, as the bacon is typically layed across one or two other food items, :ermm:

I stay away from Zimmerman's show, BT.
I even stopped watching Survivor Man. It got to be how many bugs could Bear eat and how much of his own urine could he drink. He sensationalized his intake too much.

Hmmm ... I guess the Hawaiian ahi poke we had for dinner the night before last isn't something I'd make for you?

Me! Me! Pick Me! Pick Me! I'd love to have some of your Hawaiian ahi poke, whatever that is.

I'll poke your poke down my neck! Raw ahi, no problem!

Something I'd never want to see on MY plate? That's a tuff one for me; I eat almost anything.

I saw a show once where a bunch of people sat around a round table and a poor little monkey's head was secured in the hole. Then they beat on its head until it died and cut it's head open and ate it's brains.

That's one I'll never have. That's just sick. Sick, sick, sick.

Anyone who would do that has no morals, no compassion and a cold, hard heart. Truly, "Psycos are us" stuff.

Back
Top Bottom