What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like most REAL foods. There isn't much I would kick off my plate. Veggies, meats, dairy... you name it. All good to me.

But I do turn into a real snob at the mere site of processed foods. I draw the line at spongy white bread, processed meats (some sausages aside), or anything with Kraft Singles/Velveeta/Cheese Whiz on it. Blecch.

Steve, I don't even consider that stuff edible!

Duck
Deer
Lamb
I had duck tonight, Chinese take-out, and sorry to say but I should have cooked my own. Undercooked... greasy. Duck can be greasy but properly cooked it doesn't have to be, shouldn't be.

Lamb is one of my favorite meats. I don't understand why so many people don't like lamb. Lamb too can be greasy if not properly cooked, but again it doesn't have to be. You just have to understand that both lamb and duck can be greasy and you need to take proper steps to cook them and end up with a result that isn't greasy.

I've had deer (venison) only a few times but really liked it. I often wonder if people get some nursery book idea that cute little duckies, lambies and "Bambi" aren't for eating. On the other hand I'm not very fond of eating insects and other garden critters. Perhaps it depends on what you were fed by your parents when you were young. My mother served lamb often, usually lamb chops.

The venison I had was just the opposite of duck/lamb, very un-greasy, very lean. I suspect that leanness is a challenge to cooking venison properly, although I've never cooked it, only had it cooked for me, just speculating.

Perhaps people don't like duck and lamb because they had improperly cooked greasy duck or lamb and were turned off by the grease (that shouldn't have been there in a properly cooked dish). I attribute dislike of deer to the "Bambi" effect, and to large city populations who are not exposed to game meats, didn't have it when they were young, think it's some kind of weird food to eat.

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people don't like lamb.

I think perhaps the images I've linked to in this post are why many people don't like the thought of butchering Lambs, fawns and ducks. I think the flavor is secondary to the thoughts of killing the cute little guys.

Having been raised on a farm, the slaughtering of animals for food doesn't bother me at all as long as its done quickly and without torturing the animal.

http://www.innocentenglish.com/cute...nt/uploads/2008/05/cute-kitten-baby-ducks.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5HXqfat8Hro/TZNPsCv0wtI/AAAAAAAABBU/uxykJ7ZfBkw/s1600/2508246015_26621b4ffb%2Bbaby%2Blamb.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.pawnation.com/media/2010/05/129191864547323389.jpg

Last edited:
Please keep the goat cheese off of my plate. Also, cranberries and stuffing.

Well, I will admit I taste things I dont like at least once a year to make sure I still dont like them. My tastes have changed over time but those three things I still dislike with a passion.

Please keep the goat cheese off of my plate. Also, cranberries and stuffing.

Well, I will admit I taste things I dont like at least once a year to make sure I still dont like them. My tastes have changed over time but those three things I still dislike with a passion.

I"ve never eaten goat cheese, but picked up some this evening to try. Cranberries are too tart for me, but if used in moderation or sweetened, I like them ok. I love stuffing and gravy!

With the excetion of the eggplant, I love all of the foods in that list, though if cilantro is overused in a sauce, it can taste "soapy". I love both cooked and raw tomato. I guess I'm just a different kind of guy. Also, I've noticed that over the years, my sense of smell isn't what it once was. My DW can hold up a raw, store-bouoght tomato and say, doesn't this one smell great? I'll smell it and detect only a bit of the stem odor. On the ohter hand, the cherry and grape tomatoes excite my olfactory senses and smell great to me. DW says they smell like they're overripe. She's also super-sensitive to hot, and bitter flavors.

As we age, our sensitivity decreases. especially to basic flavors, such as salt. Also, overuse of certain flavors decreases our sinsitivity to those flavors. As we eat more hot peppers, we become less sensitive to the heat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For some of us even a little bit of cilantro makes a dish taste "soapy" Most of my family can't eat it. I remember thinking that the little bowl that my salsa was served in, in a Mexican restaurant hadn't been rinsed properly. This kept happening until I learned about cilantro, this was before it became so trendy.

I am getting to where I can tolerate the flavor, I still think it tastes bad, but it no longer ruins a dish for me unless it contains a lot of it, where before even a little bit would make me nauseated.

When I lived in the neighbourhood, I used to frequent a restaurant that served really good bambi burgers. They called them fawn. They also had good bison and caribou burgers.

As a kid, I overheard the grownups saying they wouldn't tell us we would be eating elk, bison, venison, other big game at a cookout. The meat was all excellent.

I had duck tonight, Chinese take-out, and sorry to say but I should have cooked my own. Undercooked... greasy. Duck can be greasy but properly cooked it doesn't have to be, shouldn't be.

Lamb is one of my favorite meats. I don't understand why so many people don't like lamb. Lamb too can be greasy if not properly cooked, but again it doesn't have to be. You just have to understand that both lamb and duck can be greasy and you need to take proper steps to cook them and end up with a result that isn't greasy.

I've had deer (venison) only a few times but really liked it. I often wonder if people get some nursery book idea that cute little duckies, lambies and "Bambi" aren't for eating. On the other hand I'm not very fond of eating insects and other garden critters. Perhaps it depends on what you were fed by your parents when you were young. My mother served lamb often, usually lamb chops.

The venison I had was just the opposite of duck/lamb, very un-greasy, very lean. I suspect that leanness is a challenge to cooking venison properly, although I've never cooked it, only had it cooked for me, just speculating.

Perhaps people don't like duck and lamb because they had improperly cooked greasy duck or lamb and were turned off by the grease (that shouldn't have been there in a properly cooked dish). I attribute dislike of deer to the "Bambi" effect, and to large city populations who are not exposed to game meats, didn't have it when they were young, think it's some kind of weird food to eat.

I have tried them. I don't like any thing about them. I think they stink when cooking and do not appeal to me once cooked.:chef:

Last edited:
I"ve never eaten goat cheese, but picked up some this evening to try. Cranberries are too tart for me, but if used in moderation or sweetened, I like them ok. I love stuffing and gravy!

If you make cranberry sauce yourself from scratch, you can control just how sweet you want them. As a child, I used to eat them right from the bog. Shove a handful of berries in my mouth, and then take honey from the nearby bee hive. Happy memories. :chef:

I've never had fawn. In my area the only way to eat venison is to hunt or know someone who does, and fawns are off limits. Are some of you saying that fawn is offered for sale in some areas, or legal to hunt?

I've never had fawn. In my area the only way to eat venison is to hunt or know someone who does, and fawns are off limits. Are some of you saying that fawn is offered for sale in some areas, or legal to hunt?

Her in Mass. only bucks are legal hunting animals. Most does have a fawn or are pregnant. Therefore illegal. They are what keeps the herds of deer at a certain level. This goes for elk or any other member of the deer family.

In this state, Bambi is safe. I have no problem with hunting if it is to put food on the table. But to hunt just for the thrill of shooting a gun without using the meat is senseless to me. I too can admire a large rack on a buck and wonder how many years is he going to be able to outsmart the hunter.:chef:

Her in Mass. only bucks are legal hunting animals. Most does have a fawn or are pregnant. Therefore illegal. They are what keeps the herds of deer at a certain level. This goes for elk or any other member of the deer family.

In this state, Bambi is safe. I have no problem with hunting if it is to put food on the table. But to hunt just for the thrill of shooting a gun without using the meat is senseless to me. I too can admire a large rack on a buck and wonder how many years is he going to be able to outsmart the hunter.:chef:

It sounds like you misinterpreted my post.
I have nothing against herd management. I was simply stating that I have never heard of anyone saying they have eaten venison from a fawn until now. I do know deer farming is big business in NZ, so I can imagine that fawns might be treated like calves, and their meat might make it to the table, but around here you cannot purchase any game meat in stores, farmed or otherwise. So meat from a fawn is totally unheard of.

My only intention was to let folks know that fawns and does are off limits in this state. In the state of Washington, bison is a big seller and can be found in supermarkets right next to the meat of a steer. There are ranches that raise buffalo for slaughter. And I would assume that they slaughter the calves as well. Having too many male calves can raise havoc with herd management. Some of the ranches mate the female bison with a male steer and sell the meat as Beefalo. The meat has a milder taste than straight buffalo. No so gamey. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom