What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My only intention was to let folks know that fawns and does are off limits in this state. In the state of Washington, bison is a big seller and can be found in supermarkets right next to the meat of a steer. There are ranches that raise buffalo for slaughter. And I would assume that they slaughter the calves as well. Having too many male calves can raise havoc with herd management. Some of the ranches mate the female bison with a male steer and sell the meat as Beefalo. The meat has a milder taste than straight buffalo. No so gamey. :chef:

Maybe I misinterpreted your post then.
When you started talking about game management it threw me.

I've never had fawn. In my area the only way to eat venison is to hunt or know someone who does, and fawns are off limits. Are some of you saying that fawn is offered for sale in some areas, or legal to hunt?

Farmed fawn. Here in Quebec, you aren't allowed to sell wild meat in restaurants. The bison, deer, and caribou burgers were from farmed meat as well. The restaurant has to be able to prove that the meat came from farmed animals.

Farmed fawn. Here in Quebec, you aren't allowed to sell wild meat in restaurants. The bison, deer, and caribou burgers were from farmed meat as well. The restaurant has to be able to prove that the meat came from farmed animals.

So fawn is sold separately from venison? I've never heard of that before.

Her in Mass. only bucks are legal hunting animals. Most does have a fawn or are pregnant. Therefore illegal. They are what keeps the herds of deer at a certain level. This goes for elk or any other member of the deer family.

In this state, Bambi is safe. I have no problem with hunting if it is to put food on the table. But to hunt just for the thrill of shooting a gun without using the meat is senseless to me. I too can admire a large rack on a buck and wonder how many years is he going to be able to outsmart the hunter.:chef:

I agree with you about hunting.

One year they were allowing the shooting of doe. It may have been an short "doe season". I don't remember the details. There were a lot of deer and they wanted to get some scientific data on pregnancy rates in does. Hunters had to bring all does for inspection and removal of the ovaries.

The data were surprising. Almost none of the does were pregnant. They did their experiment in one of the rare years that hunting season was before the hunter's moon. D'oh! :doh:

Are the fawn treated like veal calves? Special diet, limited movement... all that stuff?

If you make cranberry sauce yourself from scratch, you can control just how sweet you want them. As a child, I used to eat them right from the bog. Shove a handful of berries in my mouth, and then take honey from the nearby bee hive. Happy memories. :chef:
Thanks Addie, I did make it from scratch once. It was delicous and the only way I'll eat it in the future. It sounds like you had a wonderful way of life as a youngster.

I don't know, but I doubt it. The fawn meat was not "wimpy" like veal.

Good veal is not "wimpy," it's white meat. and sustainably raised calves don't have restricted movement, they just don't live long enough to ingest anything but their mother's milk.

I've never had fawn. In my area the only way to eat venison is to hunt or know someone who does, and fawns are off limits. Are some of you saying that fawn is offered for sale in some areas, or legal to hunt?

I've presumed any mention of "fawn" was literary license, being facetious. Every legalized hunting program I've ever heard of places requirements on which game can be taken, intended to take only mature animals so as to not impact the population from replacing the animals that were taken. There are often limits on how many animals can be taken, and it would be crazy for a hunter to take a fawn instead of a huge buck, simply because there's more meat in a buck than in a fawn.

It's the same as talking about eating "Bambi." Nobody is going to eat the real Bambi. It was just a joke.

One year they were allowing the shooting of doe. It may have been an short "doe season". I don't remember the details. There were a lot of deer and they wanted to get some scientific data on pregnancy rates in does. Hunters had to bring all does for inspection and removal of the ovaries.

Some years in some places the deer population increases beyond the numbers that are supportable by the land and deer become pests. It's quite possible that hunters may be encouraged to cull the herd.

I still have never heard of anybody eating fawn, although the area I live in has little or no hunting, nor am I a hunter, so perhaps I don't know the full story.

Last edited:
while i agree that veal isn't wimpy, rather delicious and a sweet meat, there is a cruelty difference between white and pink veal. unfortunately, the french are infamous for being cruel to animal to make them taste better. white veal is an example of it.

but pink veal is as june described, tasty and sustainable without cruelty.

...It's the same as talking about eating "Bambi." Nobody is going to eat the real Bambi. It was just a joke...

The "REAL" Bambi? You mean this one?

Attachments

• 1240668050-Bambi.jpg
    1240668050-Bambi.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 144
There are five types of veal: (For those who didn't know)

1. Bob veal, from calves that are slaughtered when only a few days old (70-150 lb.) up to 150 lb.

2. Formula-fed (or "milk-fed") veal, from calves that are raised on a milk formula supplement. The meat colour is ivory or creamy pink, with a firm, fine, and velvety appearance. They are usually slaughtered when they reach 18–20 weeks of age (450-500 lb).

3. Non-formula-fed ("red" or "grain-fed")veal, from calves that are raised on grain, hay, or other solid food, in addition to milk. The meat is darker in colour, and some additional marbling and fat may be apparent. It is usually marketed as calf, rather than veal, at 22–26 weeks of age (650-700 lb).

4. Rose veal UK is from calves reared on farms in association with the UK RSPCA's Freedom Food programme. Its name comes from its pink colour, which is a result of the calves being slaughtered at around 35 weeks.

5. Free-raised veal, The veal calves are raised in the pasture, and have unlimited access to mother’s milk and pasture grasses. They are not administered hormones or antibiotics. These conditions replicate those used to raise authentic pasture-raised veal. The meat is a rich pink color. Free-raised veal are typically lower in fat than other veal.Calves are slaughtered at about 24 weeks of age.

Regarding wildlife management, there are only so many individuals that can be supported in a specific size habitat. When conditions are outside the "norms", it is possible for a "population explosion" to occur. should conditions quickly return to "normal", starvation and disease can spread quickly and possible devastation among the normally sustainable population can occur. Wildlife managers may open special hunts, like a doe season, to bring populations down quickly, avoiding a disaster.

Craig

Crawfish, crawdads, crab, lobsters, andything with legs and wiskers.
If a plate of these of any of these were sat down in front of me I'd probably
fall over backward in my chair screaming and roll out the room!

"They do look like little monsters or something, but they're good little monsters." - Angelica Graynamore

Attachments

• angelica.jpg
    angelica.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 147
From a quick perusal, I can see I'm in good company. As I am known wide and far for my hated of the evil Brussels sprouts.

A close second is cauliflower, but other than that, as long as it doesn't move, I'll pretty much eat anything.

Matter of fact, I've eaten things in my travels from street vendors that I really didn't want to know what it was I was eating. :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom