What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crawfish, crawdads, crab, lobsters, andything with legs and wiskers.
If a plate of these of any of these were sat down in front of me I'd probably
fall over backward in my chair screaming and roll out the room!

"They do look like little monsters or something, but they're good little monsters." - Angelica Graynamore

I love your reply, GLC! Perfect! Nikki, they are delicious! OMG, crab meat is one of my absolute favorite foods in the world!

Crawfish, crawdads, crab, lobsters, andything with legs and wiskers.
If a plate of these of any of these were sat down in front of me I'd probably
fall over backward in my chair screaming and roll out the room!

My DH doesn't eat arthropods either, but I do.

OMG, crab meat is one of my absolute favorite foods in the world!

In my youth (c. 1960) we would drive to the far east end of Galveston Island, taking a bunch of broom handle size stakes, some string, and some horse meat joints. Tie a joint to 8 feet of string, tied to a stake in three feet of water. Go out every ten minutes or so and shake blue crabs into a net. We collected a big tub of them in short order most every Saturday. If I could do that now, with the price of crabs, I could make a living at it. I had no idea how good we were eating.

In my youth (c. 1960) we would drive to the far east end of Galveston Island, taking a bunch of broom handle size stakes, some string, and some horse meat joints. Tie a joint to 8 feet of string, tied to a stake in three feet of water. Go out every ten minutes or so and shake blue crabs into a net. We collected a big tub of them in short order most every Saturday. If I could do that now, with the price of crabs, I could make a living at it. I had no idea how good we were eating.

There's a lake here in St. Augustine named "Guano Lake" that has a Northern half that is all fresh water and a southern half that is Salt Water due to a back-feed from the Intracoastal waterway to the Ocean. The Blue Crab that can be caught there on a crab-line like you describe are plentiful and huge. So are the shrimp caught there.

It's a bit nerve-racking to have an alligator picking the chicken necks off your crab line while you're working the other end, but the gators won't bother you unless you wave your hands under the water like a fish in trouble. Then, they'll take it off at the wrist.

I mostly buy my crabs now. I've gotten too lazy to go net them and I buy my shrimp from my friends who net them. Huge 6 inch long Jumbos for $3 a pound. I stock up on them every year.

So how do you catch the horses? ;) :D

Last edited:

I grew up with lobsters to be had on a daily basis. After a Nor'easter we would go down to the water and pick them off the beach. And then I married a fisherman who would bring home lobsters galore. Don't want to eat them again for a lifetime. Then we moved to South Texas and he went shrimping. I would have preferred that he bring home the crabs he caught on every trip. Blue crabs right out of the Gulf. And he would bring home a 10# bag of shrimp from each trip. Guess what! I have developed an allergy to shellfish. :ohmy:

Last edited:
I don't eat Chinese food anymore. But if I did, I would avoid any dish that has water chestnuts. I hate the texture.

Actually, they are decopods.:)

Craig

But, my DH won't usually eat any arthropods. ;)

"An arthropod is an invertebrate animal having an exoskeleton (external skeleton), a segmented body, and jointed appendages. Arthropods are members of the phylum Arthropoda (from Greek ἄρθρον árthron, "joint", and ποδός podós "foot", which together mean "jointed feet"), and include the insects, arachnids, crustaceans, and others." from Arthropod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Decapod is a subset of arthropod.

Deca is Latin for 'ten.' There will be test later class. So pay attention. Lobsters belong to the family of cockroaches. Happy eating!:ohmy:
Potatoes belong to the family of Belladonna, one of the most popular of poisons used to kill people throughout the ages.

If we all limited ourselves to foods that are not related to anything nasty or harmful, we'd starve to death.

Pass the Lobster please, and slide some spuds up next to it!

Both potatoes and tomatoes belong to the nightshade family (same as belladonna - deadly nightshade). So we're surrounded. Might as well throw in the towel and stop eating.

Both potatoes and tomatoes belong to the nightshade family (same as belladonna - deadly nightshade). So we're surrounded. Might as well throw in the towel and stop eating.

But, BUT, I LOVE TO EAT! And I'm no quitter!

pass the mudbugs and the deep fried grasshoppers!

I mean, people eat OYSTERS! RAW! Without even caring that their entire digestive tract is intact! Oyster Poop and all!

Deca is Latin for 'ten.' There will be test later class. So pay attention. Lobsters belong to the family of cockroaches. Happy eating!:ohmy:
Lobsters and cockroaches belong to the arthropod phylum, which means that they both have an exoskeleton. And that's where the relationship ends. About 80% of the lifeforms on earth are arthropods. Butterflies belong to the same phylum and they are nothing like lobsters.

Human beings belong to the chordate family. So do fish, cows, pigs, and chickens. By your logic, does that mean that we should stop eating them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom