What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm with ya there, addie, although i've never felt a wiggle. and i'll add tobasco to live cherrystones, or just a little lemon to little or topnecks.

i have no problem downing 2 dozen bluepoints, malpeques, or belons, au naturel. :pig:

i'm with ya there, addie, although i've never felt a wiggle. and i'll add tobasco to live cherrystones, or just a little lemon to little or topnecks.

i have no problem downing 2 dozen bluepoints, malpeques, or belons, au naturel. :pig:

I hear that two dozen are just the tip of curing a hangover. I have never had an alcoholic drink, but if I do, I will gladly go that route. :ermm:

Nope, no raw oysters or clams for me, not if the clams are a similar texture to the oysters. I have tried raw oyster, they were like sea water flavoured snot. I would eat it if I were starving, but that's about it.

I think Taxlady has the right term "Raw". I don't think that after opening an oyster or clam and cutting the abductor(sp) muscle, so they are loose in the half-shell, they are actually sitll alive.

Craig

I think Taxlady has the right term "Raw". I don't think that after opening an oyster or clam and cutting the abductor(sp) muscle, so they are loose in the half-shell, they are actually sitll alive.

Craig

That was my thought.
They sure don't move. And you would think they would after a few drops of tabasco and some horseradish is put on them :LOL:

Nope, no raw oysters or clams for me, not if the clams are a similar texture to the oysters. I have tried raw oyster, they were like sea water flavoured snot. I would eat it if I were starving, but that's about it.
That's the reason for the lemon juice, to cut the snottiness.

Sure they're alive. Cutting a muscle isn't going to kill them. They need to siphon water to get oxygen and food, but even depriving them from oxygen won't kill them right away. I've seen them on ice at the seafood counter and you take them home and they'll still open up. You throw away the ones that won't open because they're dead. I'm sure when you eat fresh clams they're still alive as your chewing rips them apart.

Imagaine what they would say if they knew I worked on a mink farm for four days. :ohmy:

OMG, I'm sorry ma'am, you'll have to "assume the position" while I pat you down for tools of cruelty or inhumane foods. Against the wall now, don't make me call the PETA police.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

PS: Is it true what I hear about minks being much like bunnies in one regard?

Last edited:
OMG, I'm sorry ma'am, you'll have to "assume the position" while I pat you down for tools of cruelty or inhumane foods. Against the wall now, don't make me call the PETA police.

Assume the position? Pat me down? Don't get me excited. It could be fatal for my heart at my age. :ohmy:

Yes. And when it comes time, it is very controlled. Every mink is assigned a number. The ones with a blonde coat are mated with other blonde coats. Then it is recorded in a book. And only with females that have in the past produced large litters. The whole process is very scientific. Once their litters start to get smaller, their days are numbered. Or if the male that has been mated with a large producing female, his days are numbered also. They are fed ground up chicken meat. They hire mostly females to handle the minks. They are more gentle with them. If they bite you, they don't want the hide damaged. And minks are vicious animals. You have to wear heavy, very thick gloves. The most dangerous time is when the time comes to separate the babies from the mother. They withhold food for one day. When it comes time to go into the cage to get the babies, the feeding truck goes ahead of you. They place the food at the back of the cage so the mother is out of the way, and you have to be fast and reach in and take the babies out while she is eating. If it is a large litter, you better be faster.

Is it true what I hear about minks being much like bunnies in one regard?

Thanks, that was interesting. I raised Rabbits for food once and there was never a problem with the rabbits attacking me. I gave that up because here in Florida, when the rabbits have a litter of babies, the smell and squeaking of the babies draws snakes like you wouldn't believe. Tons of them! Some of them pretty darn big and venomous. I had enough one year when a water moccasin tapped me on the leg and when I looked over, it was standing up where its head was at my waist level and within inches of me. Rabbit ain't *that* good!:eek::eek::eek:

You got that right. As a general rule, I don't want to see any carnivores on my plate.
Once the pelt is removed, there just ain't enough meat on them critters. They are sold to a pig farmer who grinds them up and mixes it with their regular food. :yum:

Once the pelt is removed, there just ain't enough meat on them critters. They are sold to a pig farmer who grinds them up and mixes it with their regular food. :yum:

Another example of how pigs will eat anything they can get down their throat. My neighbor had a potbellied pig that ate an entire box of mothballs once. The vet told him "That ends any idea of ever eating the meat of this pig!"

This has become absolutely stomach churning. Can we get back to the regular gross stuff that people don't want to find on their plates.

Smoked eel makes me gag. I know people who like it, I did try it once, and it was so not something I wanted to eat ever again. I think I already mentioned lutefisk...

Back
Top Bottom