What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i drank "cat water" once.

our old cat hercules preferred to drink from a big, wide mug rather than a bowl, so dw used to pour him a mug of cold water everyday. one day, she left it on the counter, so herc jumped up and drank from it several times after eating his stinky canned food.

i happened to come in from a blistering hot day of working in the garden, and after checking the fridge and finding no cold water, i noticed the mug on the counter. thinking dw had just poured it for herself before she left, i took a couple of big chugs before i noticed it smelled like stinky cat breath and had a few teeny bits of food floating in it.

:(

Now you're really beginning to annoy me! :mrgreen: Honestly, I had to quit eating lobster because I just can't afford it. I can't recall any recent price but I recall it was in the vicinity of $20 per pound (Los Angeles). I'd gladly spring $14 for a two pound lobster any day! :yum:
Did I remember to tell you about the time my husband the commercial fisherman brought home 16 live lobsters and I let them all die? I had put them in the bottom crisper drawer and forgot all about them.

Well, I will be nice and not tell you about when he would bring home 10-20 pounds of freshly caught and filleted Haddock for us. :rolleyes:

We have a plant not far from where I live called Channel Fish Co. They process fillers for cat foods. When I worked for an Overhead Door company, we would have to pay the workers time and a half plus replace all their clothing to get them to go there and work on the broken door. And when one of the freezers go down, we have had some of the folks who live near evacuate due to the smell. I sure wouldn't want cat food on my plate knowing what I know. :ohmy:

Did I remember to tell you about the time my husband the commercial fisherman brought home 16 live lobsters and I let them all die? I had put them in the bottom crisper drawer and forgot all about them.

Well, I will be nice and not tell you about when he would bring home 10-20 pounds of freshly caught and filleted Haddock for us. :rolleyes:

It is probably good that you don't. Haddock is the only filet of fish I will eat and it is real hard to come by in these parts these days.

is haddock the fish traditionally used in fish-n-chips?

Around these here parts it is. Or Cod. We can get Haddock for around $4.99 to $6.99 a pound. Cod is much cheaper. You get Haddock at market price for the day with chips. It is highly regulated by the Feds. You can catch it during only certain times. Canada is killing us with the Haddock catch. As far as I know, they don't have the limitations that we have and we ceded George's Banks to them. It is probably the richest fishing spot in the Atlantic. :chef:

I can say, that if the cat food I fed the cats didn't smell decent, I wouldn't buy it. I couldn't imagine trying to feed them first thing in the morning and hating the smell.

If I was starving I guess I could eat it.

Those bacon strips fed to dogs taste terrible, you know the ones "It's Bacon! Please I'd get them myself by I don't have any hands! Bacon!"

They are bitter and taste nothing like bacon. So if dogs have such a sensitive olfactory system, how come they like something so foul as those strips?:ohmy:

As for things I'd rather not see on my plate, don't think I could stomach those spiders they sell in Cambodia, as a snack, on street corners.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

buckytom said:
is haddock the fish traditionally used in fish-n-chips?

I work at red lobster and we use haddock for our fish and chips. Haven't tried it lol, but now I might have to after hearing about how great haddock is

Those bacon strips fed to dogs taste terrible, you know the ones "It's Bacon! Please I'd get them myself by I don't have any hands! Bacon!"

They are bitter and taste nothing like bacon. So if dogs have such a sensitive olfactory system, how come they like something so foul as those strips?:ohmy:

As for things I'd rather not see on my plate, don't think I could stomach those spiders they sell in Cambodia, as a snack, on street corners.

It's food for DOGS. It's not supposed to taste good to you. The shape of the snack and the ads on TV are for the owners.

I'd ask how you know they taste so bad but I know better! :ohmy:

Dogs do have a sensitive sense of smell, but that doesn't mean they are gourmets. It's often the case that I prepare my dinner, I prepare my dog's dinner, I serve his then I serve mine, but by the time I sit down he's already inhaled his dinner in maybe 90 seconds and wants to sniff at mine or go outside.

I have some Milkbone doggy treats and they smell overpoweringly strong to me but my dog seems to like them. They small too strong for me to want to try a taste.

Put that on the list of things I don't want to see on my plate!

It's food for DOGS. It's not supposed to taste good to you. The shape of the snack and the ads on TV are for the owners.

I'd ask how you know they taste so bad but I know better! :ohmy:

I think watched Mel Gibson eating doggie biscuits in one of his action flicks and just got curious.:LOL: I admit, it wasn't one of my smartest moments. Niether was the next story an example of hyper intelligence.:neutral:

The worst item I've ever eaten was as a young boy. I roasted an earthworm in a just emptied, burning, paper milk carton, challenged by "freinds" of course. That was truly nasty. Don't want to see earthworms on my plate.

As for foods that people eat, and the things I don't want to see on my plate; Ive tried, but don't care for raw seafood. I had it in a restaurant in Korea. Everyone sat on there knees and ate from a tray filled with raw octopus, and several other similar foods. I also didn't care for the kimchee. But it might have been the particular recipe at that establishment that I didn't like. My oldest son was stationed in Korea for two years and had several local friends there. He was able to eat the foods that the locals ate. He loves kimchee and says that every house prepares it a little differently, like we do marinara sauce, and probably most recipes.

As for raw seafood though, I do enjoy sushi with raw fish and caviar, at least the kind that they served up in the sushi place accross from the Spaghetti Factory Restaurant in Tacoma Washington. It was really good.

I've tried kimchee several times over the years and never liked it. I'll keep trying it from time to time. Maybe one day I'll develop a taste for it.

I've tried kimchee several times over the years and never liked it. I'll keep trying it from time to time. Maybe one day I'll develop a taste for it.

Kimchee has a thousand flavors. I've had it from maybe 50 places, and each was subtly different. The major difference is sweet versus sour. There are hundreds of variations after that also.

Keep trying it from different places. You'll probably find one you love!

Good luck!

I work at red lobster and we use haddock for our fish and chips. Haven't tried it lol, but now I might have to after hearing about how great haddock is

It is a delicate white fish. Almost on the same plane as sole. Very mild tasting. My girlfriend in Atlanta is not a fish eater. But having convinced her to try the Haddock when she came north, has made her a believer. The only fish she was willing to eat before was tilapia. Now she craves Haddock.

I envy you for working at Red Lobster. We don't have any fish chains. But then there isn't a restaurant in Boston that doesn't serve fish on their menu. If you try to serve bad fish here, the word spreads fast and you will be closed in a week. Remember it was the Cod that got the Pilgrims through that first winter. For fertilizing their fields and also for salting for preservation. But you have to go out into a little deeper waters to catch Haddock. Happy Eating!!! :yum::chef:

Kimchee has a thousand flavors. I've had it from maybe 50 places, and each was subtly different. The major difference is sweet versus sour. There are hundreds of variations after that also.

Keep trying it from different places. You'll probably find one you love!

Good luck!
That's what I'm doing, different places, different times, different brands, perhaps every year or two. Korean cuisine is practically the only ethnic food I don't enjoy, and I'm convinced that I just haven't found the right dish for me yet. It bothers me because I like every other cuisine I've ever tried, although of course some more than others. I particularly like Asian cuisines so I believe that Korean can't be that much different. There's probably a favorite Korean dish I'm just waiting to discover. But maybe not kimchee.

Last edited:
That's what I'm doing, different places, different times, different brands, perhaps every year or two. Korean cuisine is practically the only ethnic food I don't enjoy, and I'm convinced that I just haven't found the right dish for me yet. It bothers me because I like every other cuisine I've ever tried, although of course some more than others. I particularly like Asian cuisines so I believe that Korean can't be that much different. There's probably a favorite Korean dish I'm just waiting to discover. But maybe not kimchee.

You may want to try finding some kimchee at an Asian market that sells it from a local homemade source. That's how I get mine. One of the friends of one of the ladies that work at the market sells hers there. Homemade kimchee is WAY better than that which is mass produced. Like a thousand times better. At your local Asian market, ask them where you can find homemade fresh kimchee. You'll be astounded at the difference in it when compared to the jarred stuff.

My local Korean market has a deli and I'm pretty sure some of the kimchee in the kimchee section is as you described, and also pretty sure I've tried at least some of these. I usually go a year or two between kimchee attempts and currently it's not time yet for another attempt.

It's a lucky thing there's so many Koreans (and other Asians) in Los Angeles. I'd never have this kind of access to Asian food in much of America. The large presence of Asians is certainly a factor in my liking Asian cuisine and liking to cook my own Asian dishes. (Gotta admit that Thai is my favorite!) :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom