What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gravlaks. A friend of mine (who happens to be from Greenland), makes excellent Gravlaks. I like mine with lots of fresh dill, so besides the salmon, I need to be able to get fresh dill as well. TL--is there a type of salmon you prefer (Atlantic vs. Pacific vs. Alaskan)? This is on my 2012 Bucket list--to make gravlaks. I've been nervous about doing so because I question the freshness of the salmon available. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gravlaks.

Every "authentic" recipe I have every seen for gravad laks includes a lot of fresh dill.

Atlantic salmon. I have never tried Alaskan, but isn't that Pacific? I don't think it really makes a huge difference, as long as the fish is fresh enough.

I'm going to try an experiment. I have some HighLiner frozen, boneless, wild, Pacific salmon fillets. I'm going to use frozen dill and put the whole thing in the fridge frozen and let it thaw in the marinade. I'm not sure if I want to use vodka, brandy, akvavit, or lemon juice, probably not akvavit, 'cause I'd rather drink that. :LOL:

Well, it seems like everyone except me has made or eaten gravad laks.

My next trip to the store, I"ll have to pick up the ingredients for it.

I can hardly wait to try it!

Gravlaks. A friend of mine (who happens to be from Greenland), makes excellent Gravlaks. I like mine with lots of fresh dill, so besides the salmon, I need to be able to get fresh dill as well. TL--is there a type of salmon you prefer (Atlantic vs. Pacific vs. Alaskan)? This is on my 2012 Bucket list--to make gravlaks. I've been nervous about doing so because I question the freshness of the salmon available. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE gravlaks.

Did you know that the Atlantic salmon do not return to the place of birth to reproduce and then die? They do not die. They return to the ocean. :chef:

I LOVE salmon! Raw, smoked, or grilled. Yum!! And trout.

Canned Salmon was one of the things that was on our supper table 3 times a week when I was a kid. I got so burnt out on it. That was always cooked Salmon. Then, I was introduced to sushi. Both regular raw salmon and smoked salmon are like treats to me. I'm really looking forward to trying this gravlax. If it's as good on sushi as I think it will be by all of your descriptions of it, then it will become a staple in my house.

After curing it, rinsing it and rewrapping it, how long should it last in the fridge? My fridge is at 36F.

Last edited:
Every "authentic" recipe I have every seen for gravad laks includes a lot of fresh dill.

Atlantic salmon. I have never tried Alaskan, but isn't that Pacific? I don't think it really makes a huge difference, as long as the fish is fresh enough.

I'm going to try an experiment. I have some HighLiner frozen, boneless, wild, Pacific salmon fillets. I'm going to use frozen dill and put the whole thing in the fridge frozen and let it thaw in the marinade. I'm not sure if I want to use vodka, brandy, akvavit, or lemon juice, probably not akvavit, 'cause I'd rather drink that. :LOL:
You and me both (re: akvavit)! Let me know how that works. My friend lives in St. Lazare....I'll email him and ask him where he gets the salmon.

yams, rutabaga, okra, raw bananas. it's primarily a texture problem with the okra and the bananas....

just a quick update: strike 'yams' off my list, I like them fine now. only I call them sweet potatoes, and don't combine them with marshmallows....:)

...and just to be fair, lets give rutabagas a pass too. actually, I can't even recall the last rutabaga encounter I had. it's entirely possible I've never even eaten a rutabaga. don't know what it's doing on my list of inedibles--sorry, rutabagas.:(

hmm, that leaves raw bananas. now, that's gonna be a tough one....

Last edited by a moderator:
just a quick update: strike 'yams' off my list, I like them fine now. only I call them sweet potatoes, and don't combine them with marshmallows....:)

...and just to be fair, lets give rutabagas a pass too. actually, I can't even recall the last rutabaga encounter I had. it's entirely possible I've never even eaten a rutabaga. don't know what it's doing on my list of inedibles--sorry, rutabagas.:(

hmm, that leaves raw bananas. now, that's gonna be a tough one....

What about turnips? Almost the same flavor as a rutabaga. I love the taste of either one. Wouldn't be a true New England boiled dinner without them. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know that the Atlantic salmon do not return to the place of birth to reproduce and then die? They do not die. They return to the ocean. :chef:

That depends on the species of Salmon migrating inland from the atlantic. If we are talking about the species - Atlantic Salmon, you are correct. But if we are talking Chinook/King Salmon, they die after spawning in the Great Lakes tributaries. I think pinks also return to the sea, as do coho. So, some salmon from the Atlantic do spawn and die.

In addition, we have rainbow trout from the Great lakes that go to see, and return every year to spawn. Those that do are called steelhead. If they stay in fresh water, they remain rainbow trout.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That depends on the species of Salmon migrating inland from the atlantic. If we are talking about the species - Atlantic Salmon, you are correct. But if we are talking Chinook/King Salmon, they die after spawning in the Great Lakes tributaries. I think pinks also return to the sea, as do coho. So, some salmon from the Atlantic do spawn and die.

In addition, we have rainbow trout from the Great lakes that go to see, and return every year to spawn. Those that do are called steelhead. If they stay in fresh water, they remain rainbow trout.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chinook/king salmon are from the Pacific, not the Atlantic.

Well, someone revived this old thread, so I will say that I can't think of any food that I don't like, just those that I prefer more than others. I love to try new foods and will try just about anything, as long as it is a known food....not just something someone decided to serve on a plate. So that eliminates worms, insects, and anything that's still moving. I didn't eat sweet potatoes for the first 60 years of my life but when I was offered one baked...not with all the brown sugar and marshmallows, I found that I love them. So I decided that most foods can be prepared in different ways so that there's some way that I will eat them.

I'll eat almost anything except liver or raisins. However, my hubby is another story. How does one cook for someone who hates: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans , dried beans, carrots, olives, sweet potatoes, eggplant, rutabagas, turnips, celery, okra. In short as far as veggies go the only thing he will eat is corn, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cucumber. He eats meat, cheese,potatoes, pasta an rice. He hates casseroles. Doesn't matter what I make, he always gives it a suspicious look. I was a vegetarian, so I love spices and veggies. My cooking has become so limited and downright dull. He tells me to cook as I please, but his pickiness takes the joy away. Some days I cook my way and throw him a cold ring of bologna to eat (disgusting, but it is his favorite). Sorry, I'm new here, but this thread rang a big bell.

Welcome to DC! I am so glad I don't have to cook for a picky eater! That must be extremely challenging. I eat a heavy on the veggies diet (huge gardens). I find I like some veggies better than others, but I will eat them all. I do not eat bananas, pears, star fruit, kidney, tripe, smoked eel, canned tuna, or raw fish.

Well, someone revived this old thread, so I will say that I can't think of any food that I don't like, just those that I prefer more than others. I love to try new foods and will try just about anything, as long as it is a known food....not just something someone decided to serve on a plate. So that eliminates worms, insects, and anything that's still moving. I didn't eat sweet potatoes for the first 60 years of my life but when I was offered one baked...not with all the brown sugar and marshmallows, I found that I love them. So I decided that most foods can be prepared in different ways so that there's some way that I will eat them.

;) You realize Carol that there are some folks who think sweet 'taters and marshmallows grow together. I don't want to disillusion them. :angel:

Welcome to DC! I am so glad I don't have to cook for a picky eater! That must be extremely challenging. I eat a heavy on the veggies diet (huge gardens). I find I like some veggies better than others, but I will eat them all. I do not eat bananas, pears, star fruit, kidney, tripe, smoked eel, canned tuna, or raw fish.
I've seen you eat fish that wasn't cooked. :rolleyes: For some values of raw, smoked salmon and pickled herring are raw. :LOL:

I'll eat almost anything except liver or raisins. However, my hubby is another story. How does one cook for someone who hates: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans , dried beans, carrots, olives, sweet potatoes, eggplant, rutabagas, turnips, celery, okra. In short as far as veggies go the only thing he will eat is corn, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cucumber. He eats meat, cheese,potatoes, pasta an rice. He hates casseroles. Doesn't matter what I make, he always gives it a suspicious look. I was a vegetarian, so I love spices and veggies. My cooking has become so limited and downright dull. He tells me to cook as I please, but his pickiness takes the joy away. Some days I cook my way and throw him a cold ring of bologna to eat (disgusting, but it is his favorite). Sorry, I'm new here, but this thread rang a big bell.

Welcome to DC.

There's a couple of us who cook for themselves and then for a spouse who doesn't like anything. Yes, it is challenging. I've learned to cook what I want and then if Shrek (the spousal unit) doesn't like it he is free to fix whatever he wants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom