What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, someone revived this old thread, so I will say that I can't think of any food that I don't like, just those that I prefer more than others. I love to try new foods and will try just about anything, as long as it is a known food....not just something someone decided to serve on a plate. So that eliminates worms, insects, and anything that's still moving. I didn't eat sweet potatoes for the first 60 years of my life but when I was offered one baked...not with all the brown sugar and marshmallows, I found that I love them. So I decided that most foods can be prepared in different ways so that there's some way that I will eat them.

Twasn't me. I started it back in /011. It lasted for about one year and Vit woke it up to updated her post from then. But it sure is a thread that evokes a lot of replies. I would say we all are passionate regarding our food! :angel:

I'll take CWS's sashimi for her.....

I'm lucky, DH usually likes what I cook. If he turns up his nose, he's free to scrounge.

Welcome to DC, Raspberry!

I've turned into a real Sashimi junkie...run out and get a couple of pieces and eat them in the car...:wacko:

I've turned into a real Sashimi junkie...run out and get a couple of pieces and eat them in the car...:wacko:

Our local HyVee now has a sushi/sashimi bar, have been wanting to try some, but since we're not located anywhere near an ocean, I'm a bit skittish.

Our local HyVee now has a sushi/sashimi bar, have been wanting to try some, but since we're not located anywhere near an ocean, I'm a bit skittish.
If it is frozen on the fishing boat, it's fresher than the stuff brought to port. Ask if it's made from frozen fish. That kills parasites too.

If it is frozen on the fishing boat, it's fresher than the stuff brought to port. Ask if it's made from frozen fish. That kills parasites too.

Yes, good point. It just seems strange that we in a small town in the Heartland of USA would be getting fresh ocean fish!

Last edited:
Yes, good point. It just seems strange that we in a small town in the Heartland of USA would be getting fresh ocean fish!

We have lots of sushi bars in town, they get their's in fresh frozen. I'm still looking for the best price per piece...get tired of going by myself...:(

Thanks. I'm having a terrible navigating these forums and some times I can't find the post button. Doing this all on cell phone as I don't have a computer.

Anyhow, now my picky husband is telling me the meats have been too dry lately. I always add a touch of olive oil to keep meat moist. I have to make sure everything is tender ( he refuses to wear his dentures), which usually means stewed or ground meats. He hates veggies. I'd tell him to cook for himelself but he is in a wheelchair. He used to own a restaurant, but he shakes too much to cook. As he gets older, he has gotten sooooo picky. Good thing our cats aren't! Every time I put his meal in frOnt of him I get a look. I'm about ready to plop the plate on his picky head! I hate picky eaters, they take the joy out of cooking. ***end of rant***

Yep, mine won't wear his dentures either. Not yet in a wheelchair but he's angling towards one.

Your grandfather's dentures? :ohmy: Why?

Why not?

When he passed away the undertaker asked my Grandmother about them and she told him that she did not want my Grandfather to be uncomfortable for eternity so they went back into the drawer. When my Grandmother died in 1972 I gave them a home.

Some people inherit Grandfather clocks or family silver, I got dentures. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Why not?

When he passed away the undertaker asked my Grandmother about them and she told him that she did not want my Grandfather to be uncomfortable for eternity so they went back into the drawer. When my Grandmother died in 1972 I gave them a home.

Some people inherit Grandfather clocks or family silver, I got dentures. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Oh, okay. I guess it reminds you of him.

Well, I'm trying another meal he won't eat tonight. I found some Texas Hash in the freezer. Refreshing it with some fried bacon, onion and a bit of tomato sauce. I love it, but I won't get my hopes up for hubby. ( he didn't even like the KFC that he wanted the other night...). He needs to start a picky eaters anonymous... I hope there's a ring of cold bologna in the frig which I can throw at him just in case!

Well, I'm trying another meal he won't eat tonight. I found some Texas Hash in the freezer. Refreshing it with some fried bacon, onion and a bit of tomato sauce. I love it, but I won't get my hopes up for hubby. ( he didn't even like the KFC that he wanted the other night...). He needs to start a picky eaters anonymous... I hope there's a ring of cold bologna in the frig which I can throw at him just in case!
Could it be that hubby is being this picky as a means of expressing his frustration about the loss of control of his life? I'd probably whir everything in a blender and give him a "shake."

If you ever get the chance, make an exception for cold smoked trout. :pig:

I've been eating smoked trout for much of the last two weeks. A friend of mine smokes his own and had an overabundance, so he's been bringing the overflow to me. I love the stuff. In fact, I prefer smoked trout over salmon because it has more flavor. :yum:

I'll eat almost anything except liver or raisins. However, my hubby is another story. How does one cook for someone who hates: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, green beans , dried beans, carrots, olives, sweet potatoes, eggplant, rutabagas, turnips, celery, okra. In short as far as veggies go the only thing he will eat is corn, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cucumber. He eats meat, cheese,potatoes, pasta an rice. He hates casseroles. Doesn't matter what I make, he always gives it a suspicious look. I was a vegetarian, so I love spices and veggies. My cooking has become so limited and downright dull. He tells me to cook as I please, but his pickiness takes the joy away. Some days I cook my way and throw him a cold ring of bologna to eat (disgusting, but it is his favorite). Sorry, I'm new here, but this thread rang a big bell.

I love liver but I don't cook it because DH won't eat it anymore. He used to, but after he found out what it is he will no longer eat it. I order it at a restaurant in town once in a while. He will eat certain meats, cooked a certain way, most veggies in small quantities and all potatoes. He is very hard to cook for. He also won't eat casseroles. He says casseroles are for women. (?) I keep telling him the next time I get married I'm marrying someone who will eat whatever I put in front of him.

Thanks. I'm having a terrible navigating these forums and some times I can't find the post button. Doing this all on cell phone as I don't have a computer.

Anyhow, now my picky husband is telling me the meats have been too dry lately. I always add a touch of olive oil to keep meat moist. I have to make sure everything is tender ( he refuses to wear his dentures), which usually means stewed or ground meats. He hates veggies. I'd tell him to cook for himelself but he is in a wheelchair. He used to own a restaurant, but he shakes too much to cook. As he gets older, he has gotten sooooo picky. Good thing our cats aren't! Every time I put his meal in frOnt of him I get a look. I'm about ready to plop the plate on his picky head! I hate picky eaters, they take the joy out of cooking. ***end of rant***

After getting his last 2 teeth pulled a year ago, my husband decided it's too late in the game to get dentures. He does a pretty good job of eating without teeth. He eats steak....cuts it in very small pieces and gums it. Most everything else he eats is soft foods. I don't think that's why he's a picky eater though, because he was picky when he had them, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom