What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;) You realize Carol that there are some folks who think sweet 'taters and marshmallows grow together. I don't want to disillusion them. :angel:

Sweet potatoes and/or yams mixed with marshmallows seems so gross to me that I've sometimes convinced other people to cook something else if I'm invited, or let me bring the yams.

Yams are already sweet. No need to add candy to them.

I'm not a fan of sashimi either. I have no problem with eating it. I just find it too bland.

Mix some wasabi. Take some of the wasabi and add it to your soy sauce. Use your chop sticks to pick up a bit of sashimi and a bit of wasabi infused soy sauce, and eat that.

I can still taste the salmon but it's very spicy witht he wasabi and soy sauce. You pick how spicy you want it by the amount of wasabi you use.

I usually eat tuna sashimi. This salmon sashimi is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up a couple of 1# packages of frozen sashimi grade tuna today, saw a nice small package of partially frozen salmon that immediately changed my dinner menu from barbecued baby back ribs to salmon sashimi, a (cooked) crab cocktail chaser, and scrounge around my fridge if I'm still hungry. (I have a 1/4# of last night's rib eye steak and hamburger buns...)

Last edited:
Mix some wasabi. Take some of the wasabi and add it to your soy sauce. Use your chop sticks to pick up a bit of sashimi and a bit of wasabi infused soy sauce, and eat that.

I can still taste the salmon but it's very spicy witht he wasabi and soy sauce. You pick how spicy you want it by the amount of wasabi you use.
Yeah, yeah, I can add some flavour. Still much prefer gravad or cold smoked.

Our local HyVee now has a sushi/sashimi bar, have been wanting to try some, but since we're not located anywhere near an ocean, I'm a bit skittish.

I'm pretty sure my tuna comes from several thousand miles away, and cut up into serving sizes (about a pound) and flash frozen right on the ship. Do a bit of research and you'll probably find same as me, that it's a good idea to freeze fish for perhaps 24-48 hours to kill (possible) parasites. IMO it is distinctly a bad idea to eat raw fish that hasn't gone through this freezing parasite killing process. Really, I mean read up and report back in this topic!

I'm pretty sure all my sushi grade fish (tuna, salmon) has been frozen for weeks or more. The tuna I bought today was still frozen solid, the salmon was defrosted (and sitting in the same display case, I don't understand that). I get my sashimi grade from my favorite of only two markets in the San Fernnado Valley (suburb of Los Angeles), I prefer Greenland Market in Northridge because I lived near there and ate their products for 30 years, but 99 Ranch in Van Nuys also sells a credible sashimi, and perhaps Galleria Market in Northridge although I haven't bought raw fish there. (Just a few tips for my L.A. friends.) Here in L.A. we can also go downtown to our Little Japan area, but prices are high and commuting is a PITA.

If it is frozen on the fishing boat, it's fresher than the stuff brought to port. Ask if it's made from frozen fish. That kills parasites too.

Didn't read your post until my previous post but I concur. It's a bad idea to eat raw fish that hasn't been frozen for at least 24-48 hours.

We have lots of sushi bars in town, they get their's in fresh frozen. I'm still looking for the best price per piece...get tired of going by myself...:(

I get my frozen sushi grade tuna for $19.99 per pound.

Compare that to the price in a restaurant, and while you're pondering that consider the recipe for sashimi... (Do you got a sharp knife?) ;)

Chicken liver Pate or any organ meats. Had to make 5 lbs of Pate for dinner service every night. I eat any kind of pickles but can't eat cukes. I eat honeydews but can't eat cantaloupes. Kind of a gag reflex. Weird!

Last edited:
Lutefisk is also tasteless except for the drawn butter. Ever notice how Norsk food tends toward white and bland? Although I love Norsk baked goods: jule kake, sandbakkel, lefsa, rosettes, etc. I make all of it for the holidays. And smoked chubs are wonderful, but I hate pulling off the heads. I don't like food looking at me!

I have never even heard of these foods, except for chubs. I heard of them but don't really know what they are. I would not want to be pulling the head off of anything.

Sweet potatoes and/or yams mixed with marshmallows seems so gross to me that I've sometimes convinced other people to cook something else if I'm invited, or let me bring the yams.

Yams are already sweet. No need to add candy to them.

One year for Thanksgiving instead of making them candied I sliced them and baked them in a sauce similar to scalloped potatoes. I was the only one who ate them. I will make them candied for my family, but I will only eat them plain myself.

I have never even heard of these foods, except for chubs. I heard of them but don't really know what they are. I would not want to be pulling the head off of anything.
You have be Scandinavian or have Scandinavian roots or live where there are Scandinavians. Not far from where my parents live there is a lefse factory. Around Christmastime, the local Sons of Norway hosts a lutefisk dinner. You can buy lutefisk in the local grocery stores and at the Locker Plant. The local bakeries sell the baked goods mentioned. And, all the restaurants with salad bars have at least one kind of pickled herring on the salad bar year around. I learned how to make the various Christmas baked goods from my grandmother who was 100% Swedish. But I never developed a taste for lutefisk. The lutefisk I tasted was definitely not tasteless and the texture left a lot to be desired. :angel:

Last edited:
You have be Scandinavian or have Scandinavian roots or live where there are Scandinavians. Not far from where my parents live there is a lefse factory. Around Christmastime, the local Sons of Norway hosts a lutefisk dinner. You can buy lutefisk in the local grocery stores and at the Locker Plant. The local bakeries sell the baked goods mentioned. And, all the restaurants with salad bars have at least one kind of pickled herring on the salad bar year around. I learned how to make the various Christmas baked goods from my grandmother who was 100% Swedish. But I never developed a taste for lutefisk. The lutefisk I tasted was definitely not tasteless and the texture left a lot to be desired. :angel:

I used to go to a Swedish church. The only things I heard of there was Swedish Meatballs, Swedish Rye Bread and Potatis Korv. I loved it then, but I had it recently and it was too greasy for me.

A reasonable part of chef duties is doing the butchering. Often a chef encounters the full animal (whether fish, chicken, rabbit or whatever) and has to butcher the meat or fish into cookable portions.

I'm fortunate that as a child I was expected to clean my own trout when my family went camping and fishing. Recently I had to clean my own whole squid and my anti-gag training cleaning trout came through! :)

I often prefer to purchase a whole chicken and part it out myself. Supermarket butchers have one credo: "do not throw away a single part, put every last bit in a weighed package for sale to customers." As the customer you end up buying a whole bunch of stuff you would toss out or make stock or render the fat and make soap.

Oh I forgot, chubs invaded the Eastern Sierra (the High Sierras in eastern California) about 25-30 years ago. They are a voracious fish that is well known to fisherman because of their huge amount of bones compared to meat. As far as I know all fisherman just kill chubs when they catch them, and toss them in the trash.

Just to be clear, these fish are not native to the Sierras and were introduced by man whether intentionally or unintentionally I do not know. The only purpose they serve is that they kill game fish and they compete with game fish for food.

Last edited:
No, insects are totally off my table, off my plate. I refuse to voluntarily eat insects, although as a matter of practical camping and outdoor cooking I'm certain I have unintentionally eaten insects.

Also, "insect parts" is an ingredient in most grains, usually stated as a minimum. Even the USDA realizes that you can't produce grain without a miniscule amount of insect parts. We're talking about a few ppm (parts per million) here.

My college mascot was the Norsemen ( now to be PC it is the Norsk). My home church always has a Christmas Norwegian supper: boiled potatoes, meatballs, fruit soup and all the lefsa one can eat! I love making lefsa. Our family rices boiled potatoes rather than using mashed. However, I can't stand picked herring. But then I'm only 1/8 Norwegian descent! Lol. Not enough Olson fisherman blood in these veins...

My college mascot was the Norsemen ( now to be PC it is the Norsk). My home church always has a Christmas Norwegian supper: boiled potatoes, meatballs, fruit soup and all the lefsa one can eat! I love making lefsa. Our family rices boiled potatoes rather than using mashed. However, I can't stand picked herring. But then I'm only 1/8 Norwegian descent! Lol. Not enough Olson fisherman blood in these veins...
Is the area particularly of Norwegian descent, as opposed to Scandinavian?

Norsemen means Northerners/Vikings. Norsk means Norwegian. I've noticed that English speakers get Norse/Norsk confused. E.g., Old Norse isn't Old Norwegian, it's Old Scandinavian/Nordic.

We start with mashed potatoes (cold from the day before) that we then push through the ricer. I must admit, it is the only time I ever think to use my ricer. I do use my lefse grill and stick when I make tortillas. When I was in high school, pickled herring, coleslaw, and gherkins were "road food" when we went to ND to go shopping. I love pickled herring but won't eat it if the jar/container has been opened and been sitting in the fridge more than 12 hours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom