What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liver..I hate Liver and refuse to make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once bought beef liver in those frozen machine cut slices. It was awful. The dog wouldn't eat it. I've been skeptical ever since.

I recently had calf liver from the frozen slices (four 4 oz. slices in a 1 # package for $4) and liked it. Today I bought two more 1 lb. packages. I really like the convenience of having individual 4 oz. cryo-vac packages of each slice. Getting it in fresh packages has always been a problem. How much to get? Now I can just thaw (and at that thickness they thaw within minutes in a warm water bath) and I can turn 12 oz. of frozen calf liver into a nice calf liver dinner within minutes.

The liver cooks qukcily. It's the onions that take up the time.

The green bell peppers are bitter because they are not ripe. When they do ripen they turn red, yellow or orange. I would love to know how green ones became so popular. I will never understand how folks can willingly eat bitter foods. There are too many better tasting foods to indulge with. :angel:

You should understand that green, yellow and red bell peppers differ only in their degree of ripeness.

You should understand that green, yellow and red bell peppers differ only in their degree of ripeness.
They all start out green. Some go straight from green to red. Others go from green to yellow and never change colour after that. Addie did mention that the green ones were not ripe.

Oh but when done right, it can be a WONDERFUL meal!

Little I did I know what I would unearth when I asked this question. Liver seems to be the consensus. Too bad. It is loaded with iron. Something a lot of women need more of. It is high in Vitamin A so should be eaten in small amounts. You can get Vitamin A poisoning from eating too much at one sitting or eating it consistently on a daily basis. Something I would gladly do if I didn't know the dangers. :angel:

Little I did I know what I would unearth when I asked this question. Liver seems to be the consensus. Too bad. It is loaded with iron. Something a lot of women need more of. It is high in Vitamin A so should be eaten in small amounts. You can get Vitamin A poisoning from eating too much at one sitting or eating it consistently on a daily basis. Something I would gladly do if I didn't know the dangers. :angel:

With Beagle being so sick and unable to eat, I've been doing a lot of reseach as to what's good for dogs. They don't recommend liver for dogs either, except in small amounts, for the same reason, which is weird as liver is an ingredient in many dog treats.

With Beagle being so sick and unable to eat, I've been doing a lot of reseach as to what's good for dogs. They don't recommend liver for dogs either, except in small amounts, for the same reason, which is weird as liver is an ingredient in many dog treats.

You really do need to look at what is in those dog foods and treats. Just like you do for human food. If liver is one of the first three foods listed, I would find another brand.

Teddy loves liverwurst. But I refused to share any with him. I no longer will munch on it if he is here. Why tease him? H is so spoiled with fresh meats, that he no longer even will eat his dry food. :angel:

The green bell peppers are bitter because they are not ripe. When they do ripen they turn red, yellow or orange. I would love to know how green ones became so popular. I will never understand how folks can willingly eat bitter foods. There are too many better tasting foods to indulge with. :angel:

I like stuffed green peppers, when the peppers are cooked soft, but I do not like raw green peppers.

I like stuffed green peppers, when the peppers are cooked soft, but I do not like raw green peppers.

I like peppers in my food. I just can't digest the skins and I am not willing to peel every pepper I buy when I am cooking just for myself. :angel:

You really do need to look at what is in those dog foods and treats. Just like you do for human food. If liver is one of the first three foods listed, I would find another brand.

Teddy loves liverwurst. But I refused to share any with him. I no longer will munch on it if he is here. Why tease him? H is so spoiled with fresh meats, that he no longer even will eat his dry food. :angel:

My dog loves those chicken jerky dog treats but there have been so many warnings about them and all dog treats that are made in China. I don't know why...he never got sick from them, but they say some dogs have died. It's strange, because the package will say they are packaged by some company in the US, but in small letters it will say "Product of China." I wonder why US companies can't make them.

My dog loves those chicken jerky dog treats but there have been so many warnings about them and all dog treats that are made in China. I don't know why...he never got sick from them, but they say some dogs have died. It's strange, because the package will say they are packaged by some company in the US, but in small letters it will say "Product of China." I wonder why US companies can't make them.
They could make them domestically, but it would cost more. How many people are willing to pay a premium price?

There is a processing plant for cat food filler not far from where I live. You don't want to be driving by there on a hot summer day. I used to work for the company that took care of their dock rolling doors. The company would have to have a set of all new clothes ready for the unfortunate crew that got the call to repair or service the doors. Fortunately the shower was right near the door to the shop. Their stinky clothes were immediately tossed into the dumpster.

The filler that is processed there goes into the kitty treats and other small cat food items. It is all fish by products. Bones and all. Cooked and ground up to a mash. I do know that it is all frozen in blocks. Perhaps it is this that is shipped to China. I have been unable to find out what happens to the blocks. Would love to know. :angel:

I won't eat regular liver sausage, the stuff with that white rind of fat. But braunschweiger is good for me if it is a name brand (O M). And thinly applied to a dark eye with mayo.

I never thought of myself as prickly until I start listing things on this thread. I now feel so picky. Here's my growing list: anchovies, raw fish/raw oysters, raisins, pb&j, liver, venison, wild game, goat/sheep and any dairy products thereof, beer/ale, black licorice, haggis, chitterlings, tripe, anything with bugs, Limburger, pickled herring, mincemeat pie, lemon pie, angel food candy, anything with black walnuts, liverball (liver dumpling) soup, blood sausage, anything served at the table with faces intact, caviar, etc. I think that is my current list--my, I certainly have gotten picky in my old age!

Oh but when done right [liver], it can be a WONDERFUL meal!

I was used to finding beef/calf liver in the meat section but apparently "offal" meats have become less popular and now you find them in the frozen meat section. I find frozen calf's liver in 4 oz. slices (individually cryovac packaged) for $4/lb. Mmmm! I just bought a couple pounds today. My usual serving is 8-12 oz.

It's the right price ($4/#) and very convenient, the slices are about 1/4" thick and uniformly 4 oz., just the perfect thing to toss in your freezer until you have a craving.

I'm sorry everybody who doesn't like liver but I really like it, particularly with a heavy covering of sauteed onions and a large side of ketchup.

I'm glad my parents didn't teach me that organ meats are yucky.

I actually feel sorry for people who don't like liver because I feel that they are missing out on something really delicious. Greg, I put ketchup on it when I was a kid but never as an adult. And like Tattrat said, it has to be cooked properly. I have a friend who won't eat it because the one time her mother made it, it was like shoe leather. It wasn't cooked properly. I wouldn't have liked it either!

I know that everyone has a right to their own tastes. Maybe if I was more of a picky eater I wouldn't have this weight problem.

Raspberry, the only things I agree with on your list is raw fish/oysters (they are now saying don't ever eat them because of the bacteria they can contain), Bugs, and anything still showing it's face. Everything else I either like, or would at least try. I LOVE braunswauger. I like the one with the tan colored casing that resembles leather. It used to be Lugar, but it has passed hands a couple times.

I actually feel sorry for people who don't like liver because I feel that they are missing out on something really delicious. Greg, I put ketchup on it when I was a kid but never as an adult. And like Tattrat said, it has to be cooked properly. I have a friend who won't eat it because the one time her mother made it, it was like shoe leather. It wasn't cooked properly. I wouldn't have liked it either!

I know that everyone has a right to their own tastes. Maybe if I was more of a picky eater I wouldn't have this weight problem.

Raspberry, the only things I agree with on your list is raw fish/oysters (they are now saying don't ever eat them because of the bacteria they can contain), Bugs, and anything still showing it's face. Everything else I either like, or would at least try. I LOVE braunswauger. I like the one with the tan colored casing that resembles leather. It used to be Lugar, but it has passed hands a couple times.

We girls did the meal planning and the cooking once we hit 7th grade as Mom was working. My sister used to plan meals she hated and would mess them up, on purpose, she hates to cook. Dad finally put his foot down and would not allow her to cook liver. That became my specialty, along with several other meals that Dad still requests when I go visit.

Have I told the story about the Hamburger Helper???

Back
Top Bottom