What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually feel sorry for people who don't like liver because I feel that they are missing out on something really delicious...

I've eaten plenty of liver and I don't like it. Don't assume it's because it wasn't properly cooked. Dad was a chef. Assume it's because I don't like the taste and texture. No need to feel sorry for me. I'm just avoiding something distasteful.

I've eaten plenty of liver and I don't like it. Don't assume it's because it wasn't properly cooked. Dad was a chef. Assume it's because I don't like the taste and texture. No need to feel sorry for me. I'm just avoiding something distasteful.

I know that everyone has a right to their own tastes. Maybe if I was more of a picky eater I wouldn't have this weight problem.

/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if my comment offended you.
You must have missed the part of my post where I said everyone has a right to their own tastes, and I don't doubt that your father knew exactly how to prepare it. I just wish liver could make everyone as happy as it does me.

I know that everyone has a right to their own tastes. Maybe if I was more of a picky eater I wouldn't have this weight problem.

/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if my comment offended you.
You must have missed the part of my post where I said everyone has a right to their own tastes, and I don't doubt that your father knew exactly how to prepare it. I just wish liver could make everyone as happy as it does me.

I know what you are trying to say. At a certain point in my life (I was young then), I enjoyed a particular piece of music immensely. It was sad to me that many of my freinds didn't care for it. To my amazement, my older sister enjoyed a style of music that I pretty much detested. I wonder if she was ever sad that I couldn't appreciate the music she enjoyed.

I now realize that it's ok to like something that others don't, and even be passionate about it. It's not sad that they don't like it, because there is enough variety in this world so that everyone can have something they really, really enjoy. My only desire is that everyone be fair, and allow everyone else the same priveledge of enjoying something, without cutting it down.

I may not like okra. But if another person really enjoys it, I'm not going to do anything, in word, or action, to take that enjoyment from them. I have known too many people who, when they don't like a particular food, seem required to describe that food in the most unpleasant way to those who do like it, as if to say, "you're an idiot for liking that.", or maybe convince someone else that jsut becasue they didn't like it, that it was not a food for anyone to eat.

To politely state that a flavor, or food is not to one's liking is acceptable. To be rude, or vulgar to another about what they like is unacceptable.

I don't know why I'm talking about this. No one has been either rude or vulgar in this thread.

Andy, go on disliking liver. That's ok by me.

CarolPa, keep on eating it, unless it's from a polar bear (that can kill you due to ultra high concentrations of retinol in polar bear liver).

The rest of you, I'm going to give all of you a break and quit typing now.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's okay Andy .. not everybody can handle liver. In my entire family - including extended family - I am the only one who enjoys it.

So the way I see it .. that's just more for me !!!

These "what food do you hate" threads always end up with a few bumps in the road. Not to worry. I figure if someone doesn't like something I love, that just means MORE FOR ME! LOL!

Although I once got thrown off a canning list because I made a joking remark to someone (after telling her how to can it) that since I hated broccoli, that just meant there was more for her to can. That list owner was a fruitcake.:blink:

CarolPa, keep on eating it, unless it's from a polar bear (that can kill you due to ultra high concentrations of retinol in polar bear liver).

Chief Longwind of the North

Also seal, walrus, and dog liver. One of the polar expeditions allegedly experienced illness and death after being forced to eat their sled dogs. The liver was given to one of the sicker members (due to liver being thought to be such a rich food) and it killed him due to the toxic levels of vitamin A (retinol) that we cannot easily eliminate from our bodies (it's a fat soluble vitamin so it tends to stay)

So many people over-cook it until it's almost powder-y and sticks to the inside of your mouth. I love it when it's lightly cooked though

So many people over-cook it until it's almost powder-y and sticks to the inside of your mouth. I love it when it's lightly cooked though

I would lean more towards the taste (and smell) as the #1 reason ... also for some it's simply the thought of what it is.

If you can't get past those things you won't even get to the way it is cooked.

I would lean more towards the taste (and smell) as the #1 reason ... also for some it's simply the thought of what it is.

If you can't get past those things you won't even get to the way it is cooked.

Isn't it weird, though, how we are all made relatively the same, but something like liver can taste so different to us.

That's the way my mother cooked liver. I hated it. I thought I hated liver. Then one day I ordered a rib steak rare. It came with a liver and weenie appetizer. I thought, let's give that liver a try. OMG, it was amazing. It was grilled and still pink inside. I have been a fan of liver ever since.

Back
Top Bottom