What foods you don't ever want to see on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought that frozen peas (and other frozen veggies) had more nutritional content than canned veggies. Recently I've seen ads or info somewhere that say the canned variety has the same nutritional value. That kind of surprised me.

I always thought that frozen peas (and other frozen veggies) had more nutritional content than canned veggies. Recently I've seen ads or info somewhere that say the canned variety has the same nutritional value. That kind of surprised me.
Hmm, were there "weasel words" involved. I don't see how the vitamin C content of something cooked as long as canned peas can possibly be as high as in frozen food. Now, I know that some nutrients are more available in cooked foods, but others are just gone.

I have never heard that. They always say since the frozen variety are flash frozen it holds the nutritional value better. Most of the canned veggies have too much sodium. Another reason why I prefer to buy frozen is since there is just the 2 of us now, I can take out just the amount we are going to eat and reseal the bag and put it back in the freezer. Once you open a can you have to eat it all. You could freeze it, but you need to find a container etc. On the other hand, when we have leftover veggies from dinner I keep a container in the freezer and accumulate the veggies to use in soup. I do find that canned veggies are cheaper if money is a problem.

Del Monte or one of the major canned vegetable makers inserted that factoid briefly into their TV ads. I'm certain I heard it as part of the ad. That is what made my ears perk up and post about it here. This, in essence, suggests that both frozen and canned are equal nutritionally and that the only difference is in their appearance and texture. Concluding that freshly cooked raw vegetables are the only way to get the most nutritional benefits. Fast frozen veggies are no better for you than canned. So, I learned something new today.

Last edited:
Del Monte or one of the major canned vegetable makers inserted that factoid briefly into their TV ads. I'm certain I heard it as part of the ad. That is what made my ears perk up and post about it here. This, in essence, suggests that both frozen and canned are equal nutritionally and that the only difference is in their appearance and texture. Concluding that freshly cooked raw vegetables are the only way to get the most nutritional benefits. Fast frozen veggies are no better for you than canned. So, I learned something new today.

The ad stated that all their veggies went straight from the field to the factory. Del Monte does have factories right their at the end of the fields. In Hawaii the factory was located at a different place near the State prison from the pineapple fields. The fruit went right into the trucks and with all the pickers, it didn't take long for the truck to fill up. So the pineapples were in the factory being processed within two hours of being cut in the field. :angel:

I worked 7 summers at a canning factory. To this day I cannot abide canned peas. It's the smell. It takes me back to to the silage smell in the plant (they sell the shells, etc to farmers for silage, so nothing gets wasted.) I still like canned corn, but I remember working on the sorting cleaning tables picking out toads, worms, Bella Donna ( same size as peas but purple and not healthy!) I actually had fun working there, even though I smelled like silage when I got home every morning. Good money for a college kid and beginning teacher back in the 70s.

I worked 7 summers at a canning factory. To this day I cannot abide canned peas. It's the smell. It takes me back to to the silage smell in the plant (they sell the shells, etc to farmers for silage, so nothing gets wasted.) I still like canned corn, but I remember working on the sorting cleaning tables picking out toads, worms, Bella Donna ( same size as peas but purple and not healthy!) I actually had fun working there, even though I smelled like silage when I got home every morning. Good money for a college kid and beginning teacher back in the 70s.

Arrgh, silage! I worked in a County Extension Lab that analyzed the nutrient content of silage. Stinky stuff, my job was to dry it, chop it and grind it fine. I was always coated in silage!

something that still moves! i'm a fairly adventurous eater but draw the line at wiggling creatures on my plate.

Ya, I still trust and expect the "fresh" produce I get at my local national chain supermarket to meet certain standards, lol. Nothing growing inside, if you don't mind.

Last edited:
I had a dream last night about the critters on the Sushi Bar waving at me...that's a bit too fresh...:LOL:

Taking peas as an example they are frozen more or less on site whereas the peas you buy in the shop or supermarket may well have travelled 3 times round the state before they hit the point of sale and then you don't know how long they have sat in the shop's storeroom before making it to the counter. So frozen are much better for you and taste better. Even highly superior chefs who sneer at convenience food admit to using frozen peas.

Tinned veg come a very distant second to fresh or frozen. With the exception of pulses they really aren't very nice in taste or texture and many of the vitamins are killed by heat.

However, if you have as straight choice of canned or nothing you probably should go for canned.

I found the following which backs up the above - "While canned vegetables tend to lose a lot of nutrients during the preservation process (notable exceptions include tomatoes and pumpkin), frozen vegetables may be even more healthful than some of the fresh produce sold in supermarkets, says Gene Lester, Ph.D., a plant physiologist at the USDA Agricultural Research Center in Weslaco, Texas"

Remember, Del Monte et al have a vested interest in trying to persuade you that canned is best.

I will not eat green peas if you simply put them on the plate in front of me. But, strangely, I do like them in a soup, totally opposite of corn; I love corn on the cob, or from the can, but always fish out every cornel from the soup, just cannot make myself eat it from the soup. Also I will eat the green peas in a salad, there are couple of Russian salads I make with peas included. It is really weird.

Yuck!

Would sell my soul for caramel but don't like chocolate.

I spotted Ben and Jerry's Karamel Sutra ice cream today and bought some. (This is further proof that I should always wear my reading glasses when shopping.) I didn't read the ingredients list because I was overcome with gluttonous feelings. Got it home. Chose a nice large spoon and got stuck in.

Yuck hardly any caramel flavour and masses of chocolate and chocolate chunks. Very bitter tasting at that, too.

It reminded me that I never buy B&J's ice cream because I think it's over-rated. Prefer Kelly's or some of H-D

Beets. I absolutely hate them. They taste like mould to me.

I'm also not a big fan of pink fish, though I like white fish.

I will not eat green peas if you simply put them on the plate in front of me. But, strangely, I do like them in a soup, totally opposite of corn; I love corn on the cob, or from the can, but always fish out every cornel from the soup, just cannot make myself eat it from the soup. Also I will eat the green peas in a salad, there are couple of Russian salads I make with peas included. It is really weird.

Same here. Peas as garnish get gobbled up. I will not eat a pile of peas. The texture and taste are not for me.
My mother used peas to brighten up dishes. She put some in her eggplant parm. Not sure why, but I think her mother did it to?

Beets. I absolutely hate them. They taste like mould to me.

I'm also not a big fan of pink fish, though I like white fish.

I don't like beets either. But if I had to choose beets vs peas, it would be beets. I think?

Same here. Peas as garnish get gobbled up. I will not eat a pile of peas. The texture and taste are not for me.
My mother used peas to brighten up dishes. She put some in her eggplant parm. Not sure why, but I think her mother did it to?

I don't like beets either. But if I had to choose beets vs peas, it would be beets. I think?

Okra, horehound, mint, black licorice, eggplant, yup, that's about it. I like everything else, pretty much, and we won't get into the strange exotic foods like maggot cheese, balut, live octopus, etc.:ohmy:

Why, next week, I'm gonna be eating dirty-sock-soup with my daughter and grandkids.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Many people do the things their mother did, just because. I do it. I think in eggplant parm I would use wilted greens like spinach, kale or collard for color instead of peas.

My son would never eat peas because they were mushy. I think that is because his bio mom always served canned peas but I use frozen peas which have some crunch to them. He will eat sugar snap peas, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom