"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Difference

Does someone know what the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? Don't they both taste the same? They sure look the same. Thanks

Old 09-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Actually, pastalover15, I wasn't referring to any kind of sweet potato dressing per se. What I meant was that I combine any one or a combination of the other ingredients I mentioned with sweet potatoes to make a nice side dish.

For example, you could mix crushed or chunk pineapple, drained, with some brown sugar and the sweet potatoes. Or you could alternate slices of Granny Smith apples with slices of sweet potatoes, drizzle with honey and sprinkle chopped pecans on top.

You get the idea. Sweet potatoes are wonderful when married with apples, oranges, etc. Just let your imagination and taste buds be your guide.

Katie

Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Does someone know what the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? Don't they both taste the same? They sure look the same. Thanks
a true yam is NOT the same as a sweet potato, although they are both root vegetables.
I've been puzzling over this for 25 years, because here in the markets you can find :
  • Yam
  • Sweet potato ( orange and white versions)
  • Apio ( a native root veg with a taste between celery, swede and sweet potato)
  • Yuca (Cassava or manioc root)
  • Ocumo ( Basically a type of Taro root: there is native ocumo and Chinese ocumo.)
No problem here; all of these are used in the traditional chicken, fish or meat "Sancochos" - something like a soup. We use Yuca to accompany BBQ'd meat. You can grate the ocumo and make some delicious little fritters.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Try Pork Stew with Chickpeas and Sweet Potatoes
or Curried Pork-and-Sweet Potato Stew
from Cooking Light magazine -
http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...+stew&x=14&y=8
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Hi there, first post :)

What can I serve with sweet potato, bacon and feta cheese? I was thinking maybe something like pasta or rice?
I have only started cooking for myself within the last month. I had found a recipe for sweet potato and bacon, but I had altered it because I didn't like the way the recipe was and I enjoy doing my own thing with cooking.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcushuxtable View Post
Hi there, first post :)

What can I serve with sweet potato, bacon and feta cheese? I was thinking maybe something like pasta or rice?
I have only started cooking for myself within the last month. I had found a recipe for sweet potato and bacon, but I had altered it because I didn't like the way the recipe was and I enjoy doing my own thing with cooking.
Welcome to DC!

Since sweet potato is a starch, I wouldn't serve it with another starch like pasta or rice.

How about ham? it goes well with sweet potato.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Welcome to DC!

Since sweet potato is a starch, I wouldn't serve it with another starch like pasta or rice.

How about ham? it goes well with sweet potato.
Is it really a starch? I have heard that it isn't...?
Would the ham not conflict with the bacon in the combination?
Is ham sweet in any way? I have made a whole dish of the sweet potato, bacon and feta cheese and ate all of it. I found that it was very sweet (I did add sugar).
Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Sweet Potato Fries are very popular these days. You can cut up the potatoes, coat them in olive oil, put them on a baking sheet with salt and pepper and you have sweet potato fries without deep-frying.

I would not eat sweet potatoes until I was 60 years old. Before that, the only ones I had seen served were candied sweet potatoes around the holidays. Since I do not like a sweet taste I never liked them. Finally, I saw them on a menu, baked, and loved them. My family still likes them candied for the holidays, but I stick with plain for myself. I think they are sweet enough the way they grow.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Try Googling: "Is sweet potato a starch?" and make your own decision. Consensus is that it is.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

This is one of my favorites. I use quinoa instead of bulgar. It works well as a side and as a room-temperature salad.

Recipe Details

Grated frozen ginger and raisins work well for a twice-baked sweet potato. You want to pull them out of the oven before they get soft so the skin holds its shape.

I often bake them like potatoes and eat them with S&P, butter. Or, grated ginger and fresh thyme with a bit of butter.